Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

Postby Morecambe Player » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:36 am

The referee in the 2007 play off final takes charge of his first Premier League game tomorrow as Fulham take on Portsmouth. Not bad at 23 years of age. Good luck to him.

Item on Sky Sports News should be on shortly but I'm still waiting.

Edit: Now postponed. Bet he's gutted!
Morecambe Player

Re: Michael Oliver

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:48 am

it's a thankless job. good luck to him!! he'll need it the the way people go on about refs and they why footballers speak to them, they should be paid a lot more when you consider the amount of money being thrown about in football

i very rarely get wound up about referees, my attitude as always been you win some you lose some and all this with players running up to the refs intimidating them, all that does is effect there judgment even more

how about just the captain's go up to the refs like in rugby, so to help make better referring discussions at matches

they should be more protected, to get on with the job in hand
George Dawes

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Sky Sports just showed Michael Oliver awarding the first penalty at the New Wembley when Danny Carleton was fouled and the first sending off when Craig Stanley received a "Glasgow kiss" from Exeter's Matt Gill !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Good luck to the lad (you don't say that about many refs) whenever he has been in charge of our games I have always thought he has done a decent job.
Deffinetley one of the better ones.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby campdave » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Fulham's match is off tomorrow.
campdave

Postby CASS » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:42 pm

http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby quinny » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:42 pm

I've got a lot of time for Michael Oliver and not just because of Wembley. He has always looked as though he was going to be a good ref.
I hate to have a go at refs because it is a really tough job but it annoys me no end when referees show no common sense or have clearly never played the game before. There are some that every time I see their names I know there are going to be problems and that can't be good.
quinny

Return to General Discussion