Poor Singing

Poor Singing

Postby DMC » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Is it me or do others feel the singing from the north end has been substandard of late at the home games. I thought Accy were much more vocal, and I have felt this for a while. Do we need some more young blood in there and an update of the repertoire!!
DMC

Re: Poor Singing

Postby Caged Lion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:13 am

DMC wrote:Is it me or do others feel the singing from the north end has been substandard of late at the home games. I thought Accy were much more vocal, and I have felt this for a while. Do we need some more young blood in there and an update of the repertoire!!

The singers at away games are squished in with the non-singers, so it is much easier to join in without feeling isolated. If the singers at Christie park split into 2 groups and stood either side of the goals, with the mad drummer in the middle to orchestrate things it would get some competition going.

The energy seldom percolates out far enough to get all us old codgers singing and dancing...we need some more encouragement.

Why not pipe in some chants through the loudspeakers? We don't understand most of the songs anyhow. What's all that stuff about roundabouts? Can we have songsheets?
Caged Lion

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 am

I think we have seen some youth coming through. I'm glad that they have, but I wish we would stop singing recycled Manchester United songs. It looks and sounds pathetic and I think a lot of people, myself included, are quite embarrassed to sing along given that many of them aren't that supportive of our own team. I do like the sex pistols I am an anarchist tune (a recycled FCUM song), but It needs work and the dropping of the Stanley hating (who actually gives a shit about Stanley?). Country Roads, 12 days of Christmas, and we all hate Leeds are far too close to the bone and too recognisable as Manchester United songs. They are sung far too often and all need to go. Absolutely cringe worthy I'm sorry to say. We might as well sing you'll never walk alone/marching on together/blue is the colour/I'm forever blowing (insert your own word) and be done with it.

Comparing us to the Stanley away fans isn't really that fair. Go to Stanley and compare our home fans to their home fans and we'll be on a par at least. We are quite good on the road (as are most sides as it's only the hardcore that travel), we just need more numbers. Give us a roof at Stanley and for the numbers we take their we'd give them a run for their money sound wise.
RedRedWine1

Postby Curly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:07 am

Totally agree RRW, we need our own songs, not borrowed from utd all the time. :roll:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:24 am

Same old arguments, stop singing someone else's songs etc. :boring:

Most of the songs are standard fayre for most teams, even Carlisle sing Country roads, besides which Manchester United fan wrote that one?
People need to come up with songs of our own if they're not happy, instead of just slagging off the people who try to create an atmosphere. Sorry but that's just the way I see it.

I think you'll find that more than just Liverpool sang You'll never walk alone in the 60's.
O.K not a leading light in the facts business, Wikipedia says....

You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, Carousel.

In the musical, in the second act, Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the female protagonist Julie Jordan, sings "You'll Never Walk Alone" to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, is killed during a failed robbery. It is reprised in the final scene to encourage a graduation class of which Louise (their daughter) is a member, underscoring the songs' religious undertones. Billy attends this ceremony during his return to earth and inspires them with his words of encouragement to assure them of his love.

The song is also sung at football clubs around the world, where it is performed by a massed chorus of supporters on matchday; this tradition began at Liverpool FC in the early 1960s and later spread to several other clubs.
morecambe mick

Postby shrimper » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 am

There are enough of our own songs and enough very generic ones without taking ones that are identifiable as being 'of' clubs like ManU or Liverpool. And, say what you want, a lot of people just won't sing them, that's the way football rivalries are.
The young lads have been great in getting singing going and more power to them.
But if anyone wonders why the whole north stand doesn't join in with some of them then, as has been said, the reasons are:
ManU songs - won't do it (just as many wouldn't if it was 'walk on' which IS associated with Liverpool).
and: offensive songs about opponents who we don't 'hate' at all - won't do it.

That's the way it is.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ockers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:07 am

every year when summer comes
we take our holiday
we know just where were going
were off to morecambe bay
sometimes its bright and sunny
and sometimes its dull and grey
we'll be having a wonderful time

theres eric morecambe's statue
standing proudly on the prom
theres familys taking photos
on the promenade all day long
you'll be having a wonderful time

heres the bit of chorus especially for CC..............
deep inside injury time

coz we dont care how late it is
were not going home
were not going home
not going home
we dont care how late it is
we're not going home
we're having a wonderful time

the legend that is Roy Roston....................

a unique ditty 8-)
ockers

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:14 am

still think we should be singing the Morecambe & Wise give me sunshine!! it should be our anthem, like LFC and you'll never walk alone

and am being serious!! it puts a huge smile on the naturals and away fans faces, it puts us on the map, and it's a catchy tune
George Dawes

Postby broadwayshrimp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 am

DawZi wrote:still think we should be singing the Morecambe & Wise give me sunshine!! it should be our anthem, like LFC and you'll never walk alone

and am being serious!! it puts a huge smile on the naturals and away fans faces, it puts us on the map, and it's a catchy tune

Totally agree. This song is unique to us and maybe Luton (but I don't know if they sing it). It should be sung more often and then eventually it might catch on. This song should definitely be the MFC anthem.
broadwayshrimp

Postby ezz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 am

I always thought it would sound great if lots of people sang it, which is why bigger clubs have their own songs as they sound better when thousands are belting it out rather than a couple hundred with most not knowing the words, it dying down in the middle and then getting loud at the end for the few words people know.
Would sound good being sung but it's got to be sung before and at the end of every game so that more people join in making it sound better which makes even more people join in....
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Crooky MFC » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:54 pm

DawZi wrote:still think we should be singing the Morecambe & Wise give me sunshine!! it should be our anthem, like LFC and you'll never walk alone

To be fair we do actually sing that at the top of the North Stand, and when we do, very rarely does anyone else join in apart from us 'singers', its just the way it is. This is why I prefer away days over home games. At away games, its almost as if we're one big family as everyone joins in with the singing, and we're all together. At home games its only going to be the middle section that sings, no matter what songs we sing. This is why I hope the 'home' terrace at the new ground is going to be much smaller, bringing us all closer together.

I don't mind people on here suggesting new songs for us to sing, it just frustrates me when some people have a slight dig at us that actually try to create an atmosphere, without actually doing anything about it themselves :?

UP THE SHRIMPS !
Crooky MFC

Postby Sammy h » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I think we have seen some youth coming through. I'm glad that they have, but I wish we would stop singing recycled Manchester United songs. It looks and sounds pathetic and I think a lot of people, myself included, are quite embarrassed to sing along given that many of them aren't that supportive of our own team. I do like the sex pistols I am an anarchist tune (a recycled FCUM song), but It needs work and the dropping of the Stanley hating (who actually gives a shit about Stanley?). Country Roads, 12 days of Christmas, and we all hate Leeds are far too close to the bone and too recognisable as Manchester United songs. They are sung far too often and all need to go. Absolutely cringe worthy I'm sorry to say. We might as well sing you'll never walk alone/marching on together/blue is the colour/I'm forever blowing (insert your own word) and be done with it.

Comparing us to the Stanley away fans isn't really that fair. Go to Stanley and compare our home fans to their home fans and we'll be on a par at least. We are quite good on the road (as are most sides as it's only the hardcore that travel), we just need more numbers. Give us a roof at Stanley and for the numbers we take their we'd give them a run for their money sound wise.

To be fair the songs highlighted above were sung on boxing day by a group of morons who seem to turn up at Morecambe's biggish games pi**ed up and think they can push their way through the crowds at 3:10pm.

Unfortunately because the singers have become younger at the top of the north stand, they just sing along to whatever is started. Shrimper is right though, who wants to sing abuse at opposing fans, especially since they are at the other end of the pitch and probably can't hear anyway.

Morecambe Mick back on the drum i say!
Sammy h

Postby steve mfc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:00 pm

The real problem is a lack of passion in this area for football, we can argue about which songs should or should not be sung but the bottom line is the vast majority of people who are stood in the North stand wont sing no matter what is being sung.

Having spent ten years in Scotland watching football i have to say the difference in attitude and passion is considerable and im not Scottish so i have no axe to grind, i used to think it was a non league thing, people not singing and shouting vocal encouragement but its not any better now in fact its probably worse now than when we were in the conference.

It seems to me that some parts of the country have that passion for the game whilst others like ours don't, which is why i cant see it changing. Also why should it be left up to the youngsters to create an atmosphere, im well into middle age and still join in, though i must admit it is off putting when so many around me don't.

We always demand 100% effort from the players so why as a support don't we make the same effort. After all its the only thing we can do to help the team during the match and as Sammy and the players have said many times before it does help. Give it a go you never know you might just enjoy it, well thats my rant over time for a cup of tea :lol:
steve mfc

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:11 pm

steve mfc wrote:The real problem is a lack of passion in this area for football, we can argue about which songs should or should not be sung but the bottom line is the vast majority of people who are stood in the North stand wont sing no matter what is being sung.

Having spent ten years in Scotland watching football i have to say the difference in attitude and passion is considerable and im not Scottish so i have no axe to grind, i used to think it was a non league thing, people not singing and shouting vocal encouragement but its not any better now in fact its probably worse now than when we were in the conference.

It seems to me that some parts of the country have that passion for the game whilst others like ours don't, which is why i cant see it changing. Also why should it be left up to the youngsters to create an atmosphere, im well into middle age and still join in, though i must admit it is off putting when so many around me don't.

We always demand 100% effort from the players so why as a support don't we make the same effort. After all its the only thing we can do to help the team during the match and as Sammy and the players have said many times before it does help. Give it a go you never know you might just enjoy it, well thats my rant over time for a cup of tea :lol:

very well said, i agree with that..
George Dawes

Postby Stanley Bowles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:48 pm

All these kill joys ,who wont sing any other teams songs. Everyother club sings them to and as long as you are singing something and making some noise all the better for the spirit in the ground and the attmosphere. Forget what premier teams you pretend to support and your differences and make some real noise for your local team as in Morecambe the best team in the land by far :D :D :D :D
The dead don't have a choice - we do!
Stanley Bowles

Postby DMC » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:31 am

Think the idea of Bring me sunshine is an excellent idea, also what about Christie the cat conducting the singing frm the front.
DMC

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 pm

These are the lyrics to Bring Me Sunshine. Yes this should be the song that is unique to us

In my experience the first verse is sung by 80% of the singers. The second verse probably dips to about 50% but as soon as you hit the "Let your arms be as warm" line you are down to about 5% as nobody knows the next line!

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine is fine but I think a lot of blokes have a problem with bring me love ~ must be a man thing! :lol:

Bring me Sunshine, in your smile,
Bring me Laughter, all the while,
In this world where we live, there should be more happiness,
So much joy you can give, to each brand new bright tomorrow.

Make me happy, through the years,
Never bring me, any tears,
Let your arms be as warm as the sun from up above,
Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love.

Bring me Sunshine, in your eyes,
Bring me rainbows, from the skies,
Life's too short to be spent having anything but fun,
We can be so content, if we gather little sunbeams.

Be light-hearted, all day long,
Keep me singing, happy songs,
Let your arms be as warm as the sun from up above,
Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love.

Noticed at Goodison Park last week that as well as playing the "Z Cars" theme tune Everton also play "and if you know your history, it's enough to make your heart go wooooo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5evJp5G ... re=related
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby ezz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Everton have always sung that song, the blue nosed bitters
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Caged Lion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 pm

marky No.1 wrote:These are the lyrics to Bring Me Sunshine. Yes this should be the song that is unique to us

In my experience the first verse is sung by 80% of the singers. The second verse probably dips to about 50% but as soon as you hit the "Let your arms be as warm" line you are down to about 5% as nobody knows the next line!

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine is fine but I think a lot of blokes have a problem with bring me love ~ must be a man thing!

My missus (who's 58) is a singer/dancer and loves to chunter along with the young guns in the middle of the North Stand. She doesn't know the words to most of the more risque stuff but claps along and loves to shout 'you must be blind liner' or summat like that. She just loves to sing 'Bring me Sunshine' and now we have the words - thanks marky No. 1 - can boost volume considerably at the next home game.

Let's face it, you singers need another 250 singers to make a proper difference. It can seem as if there isn't much passion in the crowd, but there really aren't too many at a game who sing.
Caged Lion

Return to General Discussion