Greatest all time Morecambe keeper.

Greatest all time Morecambe keeper.

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:38 pm

No football for a few days yet folks so something for you to mull over.

I've been around a long time and even I can't remember the legendary Lance Millard. So to recent times my candidates for the greatest ever would not surprisingly be between the big two, Lewis v Roche. The heavyweight battle!

Joe in my opinion was absolutely awesome in his short period at the club. I never thought he would be surpassed. During Barrys early days at the club I thought he was a bit overated by some fans and a few flew past him which I could have seen Joe getting to. However I now think that Barry has taken his game to a whole new level and is now even better than Joe was. Several times recently, mainly at away games, I've thought we'd conceded only to see Barry in a flash producing save after save, some of them absolutely top class.

So in your opinion is Barry now better than Joe was? What level could you see him achieving if he can maintain his current form? Is there anyone I've forgotten who could surpass the big two. Drench, Coates, Mclhargey, Mawson, Banks, Gregoire. Possibly not the last two ;)
Burnley Shrimp

Re: Greatest all time Morecambe keeper.

Postby ezz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Mawson was excellent and is the only one who could challenge those two. Roche is the best for me, Lewis was 'professional' and extremely good. But Roche is just incredibly, honestly he could do just as well in the premiership and that is no 'rose tinted' view. He has the size, he has the atheltic ability, his kicking is very good, his claiming is excellent. There is no weakness in his game, his shot stopping has to be the best in this league. Not just a flashy save every now and then, week in and week out he does them, many times a game. Some say the defence has improved a lot which is true but Barry has deserved every one of those clean sheets this season.
They say its harder for a keeper when a team is dominating the game (in terms of concentration when being called upon) and it seems lately he has no problems being quiet all game before pulling off a heart stopping save.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:50 pm

I think you've narrowed it down to the two best, purely because we are playing at our highest level and therefore the others you mentioned are, by definition, a league below.

Between Joe & Barry, I think on current standing (or more to the point, as they were when Joe was with us) I would say Barry just nicked it due to the length of consistency displayed. Joe I think will be considered to be the best eventually purely because he has age on his side.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Barry roche for me he has been a vital factor it our good run and made have key saves that have helped us to take something from games which we otherwise may have lost
heysham_mfc

Postby George Dawes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:Barry roche for me he has been a vital factor it our good run and made have key saves that have helped us to take something from games which we otherwise may have lost

your kidding
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:32 pm

DawZi wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:Barry roche for me he has been a vital factor it our good run and made have key saves that have helped us to take something from games which we otherwise may have lost

your kidding

why is he kidding? Or are you simply miffed because of the fall out in the other thread? If you're going to stalk heysham mfc every time he posts, it will become tiresome very quickly.

Alternatively, you can contribute to the debate by explaining why you disagree.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:55 pm

DawZi wrote:

your kidding

Why?? I feel I'm a realist and if a player is not up to the mark I will say so and qualify it with reasons. Vice versa if I feel we've got a really good un' I will say so as has Heysham-mfc.

Is your view genuine or some sort of dig at your mate. If so you might be better keeping it between the two of you.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:33 pm

we can all take side swipes, i was just pointing out sarcastically the obvious and that it goes without saying he is the best and his match/points wining saves dont go unnoticed
George Dawes

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:53 pm

DawZi wrote:we can all take side swipes, i was just pointing out sarcastically the obvious and that it goes without saying he is the best and his match/points wining saves dont go unnoticed

Yeah whatever. :o Just thought it might have got some conversation going with the long gap between matches. You're right it is obvious. Sorry for even raising the subject. Perhaps you can raise something more worthy as a topic in it's place, just to keep the board ticking over :lol:
Burnley Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:18 pm

I think that DawZi is just too exited by all this snow :lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby Mighty Red » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Lance the Prance (Lance Millard).
Mighty Red

Postby Posh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 am

1. Matty Gregoire.

Finest keeper ever! Sadly taken from us by the modelling industry and Mint Bar.

2. Andy 'Flapper' Banks

His name says it all.

3. Dave Woodburn

OK, he's a midfielder but he did go in goals against Goole after our only European Cup Winners medalist keeper, Peter McDonnell, got sent off and he saved a penalty despite being about 5 foot 1. Let the retake in though.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:11 am

For me Joe is a better all round keeper but Barry might be a better shot stopper than him. Joe commanded his area well where as for me Roche doesn't come of his line enough and catch crosses, Smith from Doncaster was excellant at this.

I think the legend that is Steve Mac should also get a mention he was a good keeper and consistant for us for years.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Got to be Drench.
Plain Peter

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Peter wrote:Got to be Drench.

:o WHAT....can you explain????
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Well, erm, I mean, it could be something to do with the weather ;) .
Or it could be a quality-per centimetre thing :lol: .
Then again, who was the main goalie in the pair of seasons leading up to Morecambe's meteoric rise onto the big stage?
Plain Peter

Postby DMC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Barry has certainly been a great signing- I think is contract is up in the Summer- I hope the club has this in hand!
DMC

Postby Joel Ninety » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:28 am

shrimpnsave wrote:

I don't agree, but he did pretty much get us into League Two. How many clean sheets?
Joel Ninety

Postby Christies Child » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:40 am

Can only be Lance Millard for me.

Joe was good, but Baz is even better.

For a 'keeper to have endured the childish taunts of his previous club, shows the character and spirit of the man.

Wouldn't suprise me if a local Championship club came knocking if their present keeper moves into the Premiership.

Can see Baz in the years ahead being looked at by Premiership clubs....if not already, as understudy to present No1s.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby pompeyred » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:32 pm

Its GOT to be big Steve McIlhargey
pompeyred

Postby Curly » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:30 am

Joel Ninety wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:

I don't agree, but he did pretty much get us into League Two. How many clean sheets?

20!
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby ockers » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:12 am

Without doubt Barry Roche is the "best" we've ever had
Greatness may come in time.................
ockers

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:35 pm

It has to be BIG BAZZA but also remembering that Steve McIlhargey was a big factor in getting us into the Conference in the mid 90s. Every one has their time and influence, some more than others,and John Coates the Wembley keeper from 1974 was pretty good at that level but he did have one hell of a back four in front of him to help him.....Pearson, Street, Baldwin and Bennett. :)
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Return to General Discussion