O/T First GOLD for GB

Re: O/T First GOLD for GB

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Christies Child wrote:
North Stand Shrimp wrote:The essence of the olympics is undesputably great.

However the money spent on stageing it and the carbon emmisions that are directly associated to it are surely becomming less and less justifyable in todays global climate.

Surely an olympic games can be staged with alot less expense and cost to the environment.
London should look to set a benchmark for sustainable, eco frienly games instead of the over indulgent, wastefull and extravegent benchmark that the Chinese have set.

For me for us to try and out do the Chinese on the opening ceromony is pointless. I'd rather we put the money into the stadia of the games for a lasting benefit (albeit for the benefit of London :evil: :evil: :evil: ) than waste millions on fireworks and the like that only add pollution to the atmosphere.

But of course this will not happen....will it?

All was not as it seemed :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... faked.html
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:29 pm

North Stand Shrimp wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Once had a go at Archery on an activites week put on for some of our customers a few years ago.

Not as easy as it looks. The same with Clay shooting as well. Bloody shoulders took a bit of hammering!

4x4 driving in a Land Rover was excellent and the Paint Ball war was brilliant.

Didn't like the abselling into Hodge Hill Quarry at Coniston. Nearly sh*t myself! :oops: :oops: :oops:

And as for walking over Striding Edge in a bloody blizzard all roped up.... :x :x :x

Bloody pansey! I've done it running in ice and snow without a rope! :lol: :lol:

....well done that man!

*ucking show off.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously I nearly did *hit myself and in fact one of our clients wasn't at all happy with us at the end of the day.

Often wondered why he refused to talk to me for some time, then I realised :o :o :o
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:34 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
Christies Child wrote:
North Stand Shrimp wrote:The essence of the olympics is undesputably great.

However the money spent on stageing it and the carbon emmisions that are directly associated to it are surely becomming less and less justifyable in todays global climate.

Surely an olympic games can be staged with alot less expense and cost to the environment.
London should look to set a benchmark for sustainable, eco frienly games instead of the over indulgent, wastefull and extravegent benchmark that the Chinese have set.

For me for us to try and out do the Chinese on the opening ceromony is pointless. I'd rather we put the money into the stadia of the games for a lasting benefit (albeit for the benefit of London :evil: :evil: :evil: ) than waste millions on fireworks and the like that only add pollution to the atmosphere.

But of course this will not happen....will it?

All was not as it seemed :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... faked.html

don't quite see what your point is there, they still did the fireworks for real!

The fireworks were there for real, outside the stadium. But those responsible for filming the extravaganza decided in advance it would be impossible to capture all 29 footprints from the air.

North Stand Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:53 pm

North Stand Shrimp wrote:don't quite see what your point is there, they still did the fireworks for real!

The fireworks were there for real, outside the stadium. But those responsible for filming the extravaganza decided in advance it would be impossible to capture all 29 footprints from the air.

hmmmm still think it takes the edge off it for me, makes it more like an arcade game, as if it was fake or something but I can see why they did it ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:27 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:After watching the archery yesterday I do think that darts should be in there. I'm far more impressed with the skill shown by someone like Taylor hitting a 9-darter than I have been by the archery.

Are you, or are you not, trying to make a comparison between archery (an ancient skill, an Olympic event since it all kicked-off), and darts (a pub game)?

PS. In my day you couldn't get left-handed darts, but I've tripped up over a few ockeys, and lost a fiver or so at Killer.

PPS. The attraction of the Olympics has always been to witness the best amateurs in the world, who for one reason or another have never sought or had the opportunity to seek financial gain. Now it's all about obsessions and greed.
Plain Peter

Postby durhamshrimp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Peter wrote:
durhamshrimp wrote:After watching the archery yesterday I do think that darts should be in there. I'm far more impressed with the skill shown by someone like Taylor hitting a 9-darter than I have been by the archery.

Are you, or are you not, trying to make a comparison between archery (an ancient skill, an Olympic event since it all kicked-off), and darts (a pub game)?

PS. In my day you couldn't get left-handed darts, but I've tripped up over a few ockeys, and lost a fiver or so at Killer.

PPS. The attraction of the Olympics has always been to witness the best amateurs in the world, who for one reason or another have never sought or had the opportunity to seek financial gain. Now it's all about obsessions and greed.

Well the skill required for darts isn't any less impressive, or any less dedication needed than archery so it clearly comes down to snobbery. Personally it doesn't matter to me where a sport has it's origins.

You'll also find that most darts players are 'amateur', most still have a day job to go to. I'm not sure where obsession and greed would come into an argument for keeping darts out of the Olympics.

Oh, and it's oche, not ockey.
durhamshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:56 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:Oh, and it's oche, not ockey.

Och aye :lol: pmsl
Last edited by Plain Peter on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plain Peter

Postby outsider » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 pm

also try throwing a 6 inch nail at something the size of a cigarette filter from 7 feet 9 and 3/4.

there is more skill in that than having a tensioned bow and sights. :x
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 pm

And playing marbles equates to Crown Green Bowling I suppose.
Plain Peter

Postby outsider » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 pm

well marbles is harder, as they are a lot smaller :lol: :lol: :lol:
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby durhamshrimp » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:28 am

Peter wrote:And playing marbles equates to Crown Green Bowling I suppose.

Not sure how that works as a comparison. It's clear this is a snobbery issue as apposed a talent and skill issue.
durhamshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:49 pm

:roll:
It must be cos I live darn sarf.
Plain Peter

Previous

Return to General Discussion