O/T Driving in the snow

O/T Driving in the snow

Postby Christies Child » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Just been called by my daughter to collect her from her part time job in Kendal and can't believe the number of people driving too slow in the snow. Others attempt a minor incline in too high a gear, resulting in them sliding all over the place. If they would just put the car into a lower gear and resist the temptation to use too many revs in the stupid belief that they would get some traction. Whilst others seem oblivious to others on the road and insist on driving in the middle of the road.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Rant over!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Driving in the snow

Postby marky » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 pm

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/driving-tips/how-to-drive-in-snow/
I'm not a driver but I thought something didn't sound right about what you said. You're actually supposed to drive in a high gear in snow!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Z z z z z z z z z z z
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby parceldave » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:46 pm

marky wrote:http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/driving-tips/how-to-drive-in-snow/
I'm not a driver but I thought something didn't sound right about what you said. You're actually supposed to drive in a high gear in snow!

Bookings now being taken for Snow Driving Lessons 22nd Dec-5th Jan . £200 per hr in your own car. Treble time Christmas Day. Closed Boxing Day , playing Golf . ;)
parceldave

Postby greenshrimp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Christies Child wrote:Others attempt a minor incline in too high a gear, resulting in them sliding all over the place. If they would just put the car into a lower gear and resist the temptation to use too many revs in the stupid belief that they would get some traction.

I think Christies Child means he wishes they were in a higher gear so they don't slide all over the place.

As far as going slow goes, I'd prefer people to be driving with a bit of caution in the snow rather than driving like nutters and risk sliding into me or my car!
greenshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:58 pm

greenshrimp wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Others attempt a minor incline in too high a gear, resulting in them sliding all over the place. If they would just put the car into a lower gear and resist the temptation to use too many revs in the stupid belief that they would get some traction.

I think Christies Child means he wishes they were in a higher gear so they don't slide all over the place.

As far as going slow goes, I'd prefer people to be driving with a bit of caution in the snow rather than driving like nutters and risk sliding into me or my car!

Ever tried driving up a hill covered in compacted snow in 4th gear?
A combination of low gearing and low revs works for me.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Christies Child wrote:...and can't believe the number of people driving too slow in the snow.

Driving slowly in snow is advised. Drivers driving too fast in the snow wind me up!

A few years ago I took my wife up to the newly built, but still not opened hospital. It had been snowing hard and I got her to drive around the car park at increased speeds and hitting the brakes randomly. After an hour, she'd gone from terrified slides, out of control to quickly correcting skids and halving her emergency stop distance.

This morning, she hit a bend and the back end stepped out. She automatically steered out of the skid and avoided touching the brakes so she could drive through. She said she 'didn't even think about it'. Good stuff.

First thing I do in snow/ice is get in to a safe place then hit the brakes at 20mph and 'power off from stationary' by decking the peddle to the floor, again, putting it in to a skid. This helps to just click the brain in to gear.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Fgh shrimp wrote:Z z z z z z z z z z z

you know the "O/T" bit before the "Driving in snow" bit? That's so you can save your boredom thresholds placing you in a stupor! :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:37 pm

....but 5 mph..... :?: :?: :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby skyecat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:45 pm

I`ve just driven back from Newcastle today and the drive was simply beautiful. However, I have to make the point that whilst on the motorway, the hard shoulder, 1st and 2nd lanes were gritted and the 3rd lane wasn`t - no problem there - until you get the same problem as most motorway journeys, when people won`t move back into the 1st lane after overtaking - thus "forcing" people to overtake them, in the icy and treacherous 3rd lane.
Surprised there aren`t more accidents.
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby Suzi Quatro » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 pm

I hope it clears by Thursday becasue I have to head for South Wales on the train.
Suzi Quatro

Postby Aspers » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:50 am

When driving in the snow over here the law says, snow chains if not 3 points and $200 fine.
Believe me it snows big time in Australian alps.
Never snows in Sydney so I'm OK unless I go to the alps :lol:
Aspers

Return to General Discussion