Matchday pub next season?

Matchday pub next season?

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:02 pm

With the club set to move grounds next season I am sure a few fans will be wondering where to drink on matchdays. What are our options?

The Park, near Regent Park is within sight (Just!) of the new stadium, probably 5-10 mins walk. Seems like a decent pub with ample space including two bars and a beer garden They have accommodation available for away fans to stay too. Are there any other pubs close by?

At the stadium there will be bars, but will we also get a proper clubhouse?

What about the York? I hope they will sort-out a minibus or something otherwise their trade may suffer. How far is it to walk?

The Shrimp may be popular with people coming from Bare, Torrisholme or Lancaster but is a fair hike to the ground after a pint or three!
Wild Bill

Re: Matchday pub next season?

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Hope it isnt a clubhouse, thats a bit non-league !

The new stadium will have a pub but obviously we have so many fans that they won't all fit in and The York and other hotels should still have plenty of patrons.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby darrenlock » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Think regent park is good idea you cant use caravan park sites some have bars in they lol its acoross the road lol.
Dont the new ground have a bar in the stadium anyway.
darrenlock

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Wild Bill wrote:With the club set to move grounds next season I am sure a few fans will be wondering where to drink on matchdays. What are our options?

How did you get there from Chiang Mai?
I'm sure the regulars from the York won't do a runner, especially as Sgt Major has the same logistical hoop to jump through.
Plain Peter

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:18 pm

think the York will still get it's regulars and the shrimp is closer to the ground now than it will be after the move
heysham_mfc

Postby steve mfc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:37 pm

People could always walk down the cycle track from the York to the new stadium.
steve mfc

Postby John L » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:09 am

Wild Bill wrote:What about the York? I hope they will sort-out a minibus or something otherwise their trade may suffer. How far is it to walk?

It's about 15 minutes walking time along Out Moss Lane.
John L

Postby alwaysright » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:45 am

Isnt there a pub on Westgate, 10 minute walk from the new place ??
alwaysright

Postby burple » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:25 am

william mitchell

the york isn't that far if you go down over the cycle track past the trimpell etc... probably not that much further than it is now
burple

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:43 am

steve mfc wrote:People could always walk down the cycle track from the York to the new stadium.

Heard this is possible. Might cause a bit of a problem though if rival fans bring some troublemakers along and they meet homefans down the path. Can picture a scene from Green Street!
Wild Bill

Postby Crazeenick » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 am

Yes - the William Mitchell would be fairly handy for the new stadium. Quite a decent pub - I have been a few times to watch matches on Sky TV.
Crazeenick

Postby burple » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 am

always used to be a really shit pub.... gypo central
burple

Postby sgt major » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:14 pm

Obviously been reading this thread with interest, although why Wild Bill thought he needed to bring it up is beyond me.

There is a thing in business called loyalty - I will be obviously counting on the loyalty of my match day customers who have for the past 4 seasons been looked after safely pre match with away fans present and no Green Street type incidents as mentioned on here. Anyone is more than welcome to try other establishments - will they be able to cope match-day like we do?

The logistics of getting fans to the ground from the York have already been discussed and wont be a problem, should take about 7 mins to get to the ground.

The other aspect to this is that new local fans may get the opportunity to visit the York pre-match, those that live on South Road etc who may have gone to the ground without needing to pass us - you ever know.

Finally there are the away fans who so far have been loyal to the York pre-match, I will continue to market us to them and see how it goes.

Whatever happens we wont stand still at the York and will always strive to make the pre and after match experience a good one.
sgt major

Postby ezz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:30 pm

People will go to the pubs where they know the most people and in terms of distance from the ground. The walk down the cycle track from the york isn't that far, just one big straight line pretty much. I also doubt opposition fans knowing our lack of violence and well known friendliness would use it as an opportunity to cause trouble, along with the fact that you'd probably see an increased police patrol down the track just incase.
All I see is an increase in Westgate locals using the pubs in that area before matches, and everything else not changing too dramatically.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:51 pm

sgt major wrote:Obviously been reading this thread with interest, although why Wild Bill thought he needed to bring it up is beyond me.

Pretty reasonable topic IMO. Travelling from Lancaster on matchdays has always meant a bit of a mission going to the York. Just wondering what other options fans will have when we move to Westgate.

I am sure however many Morecambe-based fans will stay loyal to the York and fair play to Mick for building-up the place over the last few years. Fans need a place to congregate (not just on matchdays) and a proper supporters' pub should be run by a fan of the club.

The issue of using the cycle track is a valid one though. I hope the Police are also aware of the likelyhood of hundereds of footy fans using it on matchdays and put a few plods down there to keep it safe.
Wild Bill

Postby Sammy h » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm sorry, but it is going to be alot longer than 7 minutes from the york. Past the trimpell, upto the school then across the main road, definitely 15 minutes. Unless they build a back entrance through the council estate, even then it wont be 7 minutes.

However this doesn't matter as i will still be attending the York as will my other mates who i meet up with on matchday.
Sammy h

Postby The Fury » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:36 pm

Erm, I think most are forgetting one of the reasons for the move was so that the football club would be able to operate a social club available to supporters and locals all week. As a result, I will stop going to the Shrimp and instead head straight to the football club. Now that we have decent choice, I'd rather give my money to the football club. I'd have thought that was the obvious train of thought too!
The Fury

Postby campdave » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Takes me 5 mins on the bike to get from the trimpell to where the stadium is going to be. Reckon 15-20 minutes walk depending on your pace, so only about 5 minutes further than York -> Christie.
campdave

Postby hoooti » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Lots of Comments about passing the Trimpell. Why not pop in and sample their beverages. £15 a year to be a member and cheap beer (15% discount on already competitive prices). You can even go back after the match in summer a sit in the glorious English Sunshine catch up on the final scores and watch the end of the local cricket match. Non members are welcome.
hoooti

Postby NeilG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:04 pm

I'd like to think there will be a special match day bus service at very regular intervals to transport fans to and from the ground wherever they choose to drink pre match in the town, maybe pubs need to be speaking with stagecoach or whoever about promoting a matchday bus timetable and being able to sell matchday or season long bus passes behind their bars. Just a thought !

Also the new stadium is very near to the morecambe to heysham port railway line too if i'm not mistaken, a continuous single track working shuttle from town centre to Heysham during match days could be a consideration for our fans who live around those areas but also for visiting fans travelling by train into Morecambe from other parts of the country ? I appreciate there would be a cost to build a platform for the stadium but making it easy for fans to get to the ground should be a priority don't you think ?
NeilG

Postby marky » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Neil, much as I'd love to see a train station open, it's about as likely as the Morecambe-Heysham line being electrified next week. The onus would be on the club to foot the bill, and given they've already decided not to put a roof on a stand, it's hardly likely that they would pay for a halt. Northern also wouldn't pay for the shuttles themselves, the costs for which would again fall on the club and/or local authority. It seems like a great idea on paper, but without local stations between the Harbour and the ground, and similar stops between Bare Lane and Morecambe, it probably wouldn't get anywhere near enough patronage to cover the running costs.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby matty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Hope it isnt a clubhouse, thats a bit non-league

Depends how its done, which is obviously personal preference. I like nipping for a pint in JBs after the match and would prob use it before the match if I wasn't on the North Stand.

I've been to a few club house bars that have a good atmosphere, most recently Torquay, but agree there are soul-less ones out the to (as there are pubs).
Its all in the hips.
matty

Postby Aspers » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:43 pm

As usual I will be patronizing the York whenever I go to Morecambe. In fact I'll buy you pint next time I see you in there. 8-)
Aspers

Postby Stanley Bowles » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 am

Theres only one answar The York Hotel, as it is Morecambe f.c. and football friendley through and through. Its still also a short walk to the new train, or a short ride on the prom noddy train :D
The dead don't have a choice - we do!
Stanley Bowles

Postby casey jones » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:18 pm

I thought the idea of having a decent bar at the ground was because the fans asked for one, so therefore it should be used. Money to the club or the 'york'!!!
casey jones

Next

Return to General Discussion