Fans' views wanted

Re: Fans' views wanted

Postby shrimper » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:35 pm

P/T Indie wrote:
That's what I don't get so there is a difference between the clubs badge and the town council badge already so there is no need for a new badge all be it just the writting underneath but if that's enought to get copyright on we don't need to change anything.

I'm not a solicitor but I understand that it isn't. You can't just change someone else's design a little bit and get it copyrighted as your own.

And if, as seems very likely, the new town council is granted copyright on the original coat of arms then THEY would control all use of that particular crest.

The club had permission to use it previously but they may (and I say 'may' only because it's a technical possibility) be denied that permission by some future administration at the new council. In any case they certainly wouldn't be able to protect the club's crest legally if they continued to use the existing one.

I suppose the club think all of that is rather messy so they want to get it all sorted out now, at an appropriate time with new signs and stationery being produced for the new stadium, and let it lead them into the new era they are about to start.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Morecambe Jack » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Disappointing that we have to change the badge. That crest has been on every shirt ive ever bought/worn and means a lot to me - i certainly take pride in wearing it.

But, I can understand the reasons behind changing it. Would still like to see the red roses on the new crest if Im honest. Not too bothered about the ship although its likely that will stay given its on the EOE badge too.

Do we have to email to the club or can we just point them in the direction of this thread (Im sure they will read it anyway)?

P.S If it looks anything as shite as Bury's 125 year thing ill be gutted!
Morecambe Jack

Postby fletch_al » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:45 pm

initially i hated the idea but the club wudnt be doing it unlesss they had good reason too. its a shame because ive gotten to used to the badge

but with the new stadium next year and all this new era stuff about it seems logical to change it now rather than later.

my only suggestion is that the fans are heavily involved in the design and decision process with perhaps a shortlist of 3-5 designs and we can vote which one we prefer
fletch_al

Postby shrimper » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:55 pm

I once went through this process organising a Christmas meal venue at work and it was a nightmare!
The problem with it would be that you might get nearly two thirds voting against the one that's eventually chosen, so having an instant reason to dislike it.

That's what happened in my venue 'vote' and a lot of those who voted for the others refused to go - if I'd just told them where we were going a lot more would have attended.

Personally I'd be against a vote but am glad they are asking for fans' comments.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 pm

Callum wrote:I think that's a good thing, It shows the club is part of Morecambe and the community. Morecambe Football Club is Morecambe.

Is there a reason why the club need to protect it's use? It's not as if there are numerous stalls lining Lancaster road on match days selling unofficial merchandise taking money from the club.

Imagine we get to Wembley in the League 2 playoffs. Subject to local laws anyone could stand on Wembley Way selling Morecambe shirts, scarves, flags with the club crest on and the club would get absolutely nothing in return for using its insignia / branding. The club could be denied thousands in revenue. Additionally there would be nothing to stop a Morecambe shop from buying a load of red t-shirts and adding the Morecambe logo on it and selling them as football club related merchandise. In both cases only Lancaster City Council, as the copyright holder, could act on the football club's behalf in enforcing a trademark which isn't the football clubs.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 pm

They stopped the supporters team using the badge so why couldn't they stop anyone else?

or were the supporters team just to nice in approaching the club for permission first if they had just gone ahead and done it could the club have said anything.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby bigreddog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Though I'm sure we're all going to react differently to all this tumultuous change, If Fat Media have got anything to do with the design of the new badge ( and I for one would be happy if they were), then I kow the place is teeming with real shrimps fans and wouldn't let anything crap out of their company.

alternatively lets hope that it doesn't get done by some Armani suited, danish pastry weilding, skiny latte drinking marketing company that understands branding but doesn't understand football.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Posh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:18 pm

P/T Indie wrote:We agreed a purchase price with the suppliers Umbro I believe, and approached the club for permission to use the club badge - they refused.
So the council was asked if we could use the old Morecambe and Heysham town badge they agreed. The current Morecambe FC badge is that town crest with the club's name underneath, instead of the club's name we had "Morecambe supporters".

That's what I don't get so there is a difference between the clubs badge and the town council badge already so there is no need for a new badge all be it just the writing underneath but if that's enough to get copyright on we don't need to change anything.

The copyright holder was Lancaster City Council and not the club. Morecambe Mick's story just goes to show how easy it was to bypass the club and get the crest used.

While I agree that using the crest helps align the club strongly with Morecambe (a modernised version would surely do the same), it isn't ours it belongs to Lancaster City Council and they've given the usage rights to Morecambe Town Council.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:38 pm

New ground and a new club crest then. Not supprised at this at all other clubs have done it in the last few years and while people have not always taken to the crest which reprisents their football club many have grown to like the new modern and up-to-date badges. Hope we can be in keeping with treditions like the idea of keeping the boat maybe also have something that we can all remember christie Park by. Also got to mention the club for taking into account the fans views rather than just designing one and saying that is that it's important that supporters are incuded in the making of such decisions. End of an era start of a new one.
heysham_mfc

Postby The Marksman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Doesn't this board have a resident artist somewhere? I remember seeing some excellent impressions of Wayne Curtis's goal vs York. Surely we can get that man on the case?
The Marksman

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Is it that important?
Just have something simple like what our bigger North West seaside club at Blackpool have.
Plain Peter

Postby marky » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:22 pm

I know they have stated some aspects of the current crest will be kept, but wouldn't it make sense to have a Shrimp involved?
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby durhamshrimp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:48 pm

I hope it remains a traditional style intricate crest. Good examples of recently redesigned crests are sunderland and liverpool. Really poor examples are arsenal, leeds, fulham. Id hate it if we got one like those.
durhamshrimp

Postby John L » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:14 am

An old friend pointed this out to me today.... ;)
http://www.mymorecambe.co.uk/index.php/2009/12/12/morecambe-town-council-2/
Finally, the town crest. It was assumed that the Lancaster City Council held authority for its use. This is not the case and since the amalgamation of the former Borough Of Morecambe and Heysham with Lancaster the crest has been “dormant”. Therefore no one currently has authority over it nor permission to use it. The town Council are in correspondence with the College of Arms to have the crest resurrected but this will be at a cost estimated in the region of £2,500.

Is this still the case, or has the town council "bought" it?
John L

Postby shrimper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 am

Not sure it matters really. The town council want to use it, they're looking at getting it formally adopted again and MFC wouldn't want to get into a battle with them over it.
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 am

durhamshrimp wrote:I hope it remains a traditional style intricate crest. Good examples of recently redesigned crests are sunderland and liverpool. Really poor examples are arsenal, leeds, fulham. Id hate it if we got one like those.

Totally agree.

A crest has to stand the passage of time.

As I suggested before, for those working in graphic design they will recognise that it is a very difficult design brief.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:22 am

Christies Child wrote:
durhamshrimp wrote:I hope it remains a traditional style intricate crest. Good examples of recently redesigned crests are sunderland and liverpool. Really poor examples are arsenal, leeds, fulham. Id hate it if we got one like those.

Totally agree.

As I suggested before, for those working in graphic design they will recognise that it is a very difficult design brief.

No design will be loved by everybody but I suppose you want it to be identifiable with the club and a neat image. But opinions are bound to differ.
For example, of the ones durham mentions I, personally, think the Arsenal one is the best. Clean, unfussy and a strong image which works well across all kinds of merchandise and is instantly recognisable and iconic. Not too sure about the half and half red background but other than that I think it's good.
Sunderland's looks like they couldn't decide when to stop adding bits.
shrimper

Postby burple » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 am

Christies Child wrote:

Totally agree.

totally disagree... if it has to change I would prefer something simpler. as above the arsenal one is a great example
burple

Postby ezz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm

He didn't say it would be complicated, he said it will be a tough job for the people designing it. To make it simple yet 'great' is no easy task, I still think a shrimp as our main logo would be good. Though I'd have to see what it'd look like first as I have a picture in my head of it looking extremely cartoony.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Heysham_red » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:57 pm

I like the Arsenal one, as pointed out its clean and has kept the main aspect of the the previous badge. I couldnt agree more about the Fulham one. no character and no real symbol of the club. The Sunderland one is too busy. Chelsea's new one is quite nice but a little bit bland for me. For me Liverpool's badge screams of culture and is probably one the most recognised team logo around (And I am a convert Man Utd fan)

we could do something different like Rangers, Who have a crest which is used on pretty much everything other than kit wear. This is a real opportunity for the club to look forward and use some initiative that could be copied by other teams.
Heysham_red

Postby ezz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:29 pm

I love the Liverpool badge, it just looks so prestigious. The shape, the colours and the simplicity all go well. It sounds like the majority of people agree we don't want a badge with too much on it like sunderlands etc.
Meaningful and simple :D
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:36 pm

shrimper wrote: I, personally, think the Arsenal one is the best.

I think we should put this up in lights :lol:

I.M.O. the Club are doing exactly the right thing at the right time. I consider ourselves as fans very honoured that the Club constantly refers to 'us' when making such decisions. Can't see many other Clubs offering a Fans input on such things.

However, I am particularly glad that they don't involve us for an input of which players to "buy and sell" and which formation to play!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby ezz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:39 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
shrimper wrote: I, personally, think the Arsenal one is the best.

I think we should put this up in lights :lol:

I.M.O. the Club are doing exactly the right thing at the right time. I consider ourselves as fans very honoured that the Club constantly refers to 'us' when making such decisions. Can't see many other Clubs offering a Fans input on such things.

However, I am particularly glad that they don't involve us for an input of which players to "buy and sell" and which formation to play!

That just depends which people they listen to :lol: :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby New_Ground_Watcher » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Why not get Dragofly to design a new crest? I'm sure it would be the best design in any league.
New_Ground_Watcher

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:16 pm

DRAGOFLY once designed a commemorative plaque along similar lines to the morecambe crest, it was posted on here ages ago but i cannot find it, this would have made an excellent logo, if anyone has it available it would be great to see it again, although i am his agent i have lost track of the great man, if anyone out there can let him know that we need him, it would grate...err i mean be great.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion