Morecambe 0 Bangor City 9 an appeal.........

Morecambe 0 Bangor City 9 an appeal.........

Postby ockers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Is there anyone on here who actually witnessed that match 21st September 1981 and can remember any of the game
i have the match report from the visitor
can you pm or email me your thoughts recollections if possible by tomorrow night if you can
just your abiding memory of the game the day how bad it was
anything at all
only 160 wtnessed it so wont be many i suspect
any help greatly appreciated
Thanks Sean
seanoconnor@morecambefc.com
ockers

Re: Morecambe 0 Bangor City 9 an appeal.........

Postby ockers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 pm

it was a monday night game 2 days after losing to Consett 2 at home in The FA Cup
ockers

Postby Freez » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:37 pm

I was there, as was Keith I believe. Keith Fear ex Bristol City was playing for them, if memory serves me so was David Smallman, ex Everton, could be wrong though! The Bangor side had one of those nights where just about everything they hit went in. I seem to remember that most of their goals were from shots from the edge of the box or further out! It was a superb performance and one that sticks in my memory, there may have only been a sparse crowd but they all applauded Bangor off at the end!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby ockers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:06 pm

Freez wrote:I was there, as was Keith I believe. Keith Fear ex Bristol City was playing for them, if memory serves me so was David Smallman, ex Everton, could be wrong though! The Bangor side had one of those nights where just about everything they hit went in. I seem to remember that most of their goals were from shots from the edge of the box or further out! It was a superb performance and one that sticks in my memory, there may have only been a sparse crowd but they all applauded Bangor off at the end!

cheers Dave
thats great
Keith Fear was playing 2 nil down at half time the goals started coming 54th min onwards dave smallman was playing too
did you witness Alan Whittle(ex everton) taking a bow for the 8th goal?
were you stuck behind their goal?
thanks for that will include that
th ematch report says someone bent the ear of the reporter ian mayor saying and i quote
"theyve had it coming for four years"
so either paddock moaner or simply ned was around then :lol: :lol:
anyone else?
ockers

Postby shrimper » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:49 pm

I was there. I remember it was 0-9 and .... erm... I wish I could remember other stuff like Freez does.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby al1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:05 pm

i was there too,i had to get a 'shift change'.wish i hadn't.i think every shot they had went in.might have the programme somewhere.
al1

Postby ockers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 pm

shrimper wrote:I was there. I remember it was 0-9 and .... erm... I wish I could remember other stuff like Freez does.

where were you standing?
ockers

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 pm

My main memory of the night was being stood roughly level with the pie hatch, on the paddock as one of their guys let loose from further out than I was (so 35yds ish) almost centre of the pitch, with a shot that appeared to be incredibly hard and yet dipping as well, straight in... again. Can't remember the score at that point, probably the fourth or fifth goal... or sixth? Possibly seventh... I don't know, I'd given up counting! I too think their goals were all good ones. And I accept what ever Freez says as true rather than my own, flaky, memory! :?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:00 am

I was there also, but can't add anything other than backing up bro's 'everything they hit went in' comment.
Wasn't goalie errors either..every shot was 'goal of the month' stuff !
Alan

Postby ockers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 am

Alan wrote:I was there also, but can't add anything other than backing up bro's 'everything they hit went in' comment.
Wasn't goalie errors either..every shot was 'goal of the month' stuff !

were you all wearing red and white scarves and bobble hats
its important........

cheers chaps.........
ockers

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:11 am

I should have been at home, doing my homework!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Freez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:25 am

I was leaning on one of the three tubed stand roof supports at the front of the old north stand for the onslaught in the second half. Always stood there when we kicked towards "the school end roof" as it was known! Perhaps we should have reunion every year, the Bangor 160!! Cannot recall many games in that era, but we were awful that season, for obvious reasons that game sticks in the memory!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby dazza » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 am

i was probably there as mascot....lol the unluckiest mascot ever in football history i reckon...but thats another story...lol sure glen and freeze will remember...
midds belting out lets hear it for the boys...and always the stylistics before the match..
****dazza****
dazza

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 am

I missed the Bangor match as I was in Wycombe on a training course.

There was no internet website in those days (it would have been in meltdown !!) and with no coverage of Morecambe down in the South I arrived home on the Friday to hear about our 9-0 loss and that we had 3 managers in the week. Jim Thomson took it after the 9-0 loss and decided 2 days later he didnt want it. Then I think Les Rigby took over.

President Sadat of Egypt was assassinated in the same week.
Last edited by Heysham_Shrimp on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Freez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:23 am

Apparently our playing budget was miniscule and with similarities to today in that in the NPL, the higher your budget the higher (generally) you finish! Remember Rigby taking over, signing Ged Stenson nd a few others and we suddenly became harder to beat. Didn't win many but at that time just not losing was quite novel!!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Posh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:58 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:President Sadat of Egypt was assassinated in the same week.

Are you implying that the hotshots of Bangor City also managed to annihilate old Anwar with a hail of long distance shots from outside his Presidential box?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ockers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:16 pm

ockers

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:22 pm

ockers wrote:i like this from 1981

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQfTu2SDjag

I've still got one in a box! :oops:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Posh wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:President Sadat of Egypt was assassinated in the same week.

Are you implying that the hotshots of Bangor City also managed to annihilate old Anwar with a hail of long distance shots from outside his Presidential box?

it was one of those "where were you when ......................... happened" moments.

Morecambe had 3 managers in a week , oh and President Sadat copped a machine gun magazine full !!
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Based as a share of average earnings, that console cost £435 and games were between £66 and £132 each!

And that children, is why we used to play football, tig and go out on our bikes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby ockers » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:51 am

Keith wrote:

Based as a share of average earnings, that console cost £435 and games were between £66 and £132 each!

And that children, is why we used to play football, tig and go out on our bikes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

tig youre it....no backchats.............
ockers

Postby skyecat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:23 am

marky No.1 wrote:

I've still got one in a box! :oops:

Likewise!! in fact, when we moved to this house, we had my mate and my cousins round with the Sega Megadrive, Sony Play Station 1 and we ended up playing on the Atari!! Good times!
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Return to General Discussion