North Stand

North Stand

Postby ellandback » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Much has been written about our new stadium , but one wonders what will happen to our North stand when the bulldozers move in at CP. How about a helping our neighbours across the river could it not be Lancaster City Council might purchase the stand from MFC lock stock and barrel and,
Re- erect it at the Giant Axe, so there long suffering supporters and council tax payers, at least have some cover of a reasonable standard.I believe the stand can be dismantled easy as its sectional and nuts and bolts.After all its only around 8 years old and has served us well. What better use than supporting our own local community. So come on LCC GIVE THE CITY A STAND TO BE PROUD OF, WHAT DO YOU THINK....
ellandback

Re: North Stand

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:12 pm

The 6 figure cost of dismantling it , moving it and re-assembling it may be a slight problem!

and why would they need a stand that holds 3,000 !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Nothing personal against LCFC but it would look pretty empty with 200 in the whole ground!

Still think it's a sad waste being so recently built and now to be scrapped. I and many others would have liked it dismantled and re assembled at Westgate. Opposite the new main stand it would have looked superb, probably a lot better than what is planned. i.e. small open terrace. I realise that it's not as simplistic as that but come on, what a sad waste of an iconic piece of architecture for the majority of Morecambe fans! It would have been there ready for seats installing should we have needed them and being modern could surely have been blended in with the new build. It's never really been divulged if this was ever in the thinking for the new stadium and the reasons for or against taking it with us. Sad waste of a stand which in it's short life has assisted us with experiencing so much.

RIP North Stand.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby Gav » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm

This ideas not bad at all, thinking of the bigger picture, a stand which houses 3000 could be used for a number of different operations / entertainment avenues, not just football. However, it would be nice for someone local to use it.
"Don't talk to me about being a star sunshine, I'm on You tube. No seriously, you type in St Albans Vs Morecambe and that's me...celebrating...running to hug a grown man, don't judge me fella, it's pride and passion"
Gav

Postby Richard Head » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:29 pm

No need for the council to buy the North Stand. If they want some cover at the Giant Axe have the council not got a spare bus shelter they could use.
Richard Head

Postby ezz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Last I heard Fleetwood get decent gates and are on the up, maybe they'd want it.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:The 6 figure cost of dismantling it , moving it and re-assembling it may be a slight problem!
and why would they need a stand that holds 3,000 !

PLUS the cost of piling would make it financially a non starter for many clubs.

Whilst it would be excellent if somebody was to purchase the stand I can't actually see it happening.

Mind you with Blackpool Council hoping to purchase the Tower, Winter Gardens and other 'pool landmarks for £40Million (a sure road to failure :o ), maybe Lancaster Council could raise its piggy bank and buy the stand and denote it to City.
Last edited by Christies Child on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:56 pm

ezz wrote:Last I heard Fleetwood get decent gates and are on the up, maybe they'd want it.

are they not moving as well would be better if it was put to good use rather than just scrapping it but the cost of moving it might put some people off
heysham_mfc

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:52 am

Fleetwood are not moving, they are having a multi-million pound ground redevelopment at Highbury for the same reasons that we are moving. They wish for their ground to generate an income on non-match days, something that Christie Park in its current form is incapable of doing given the constricting factors.

The official opening of the North stand was 11 years ago, but it was constructed slightly earlier than that. To me it does not have that much character at all, it's just a large terrace. Other parts of the ground have far more charisma that I hope can be captured in the new stadium somehow. The stand that the North Stand replaced with 'Morecambe FC' written in bold red lettering at the back of the stand, and the programme shop on the right-hand side of the stand looking towards the pitch, had far more character IMO.
RedRedWine1

Postby Mighty Red » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 am

I've heard it's been bought by someone in the Arnside/Sandside/Storth area.
Mighty Red

Postby Stanley Bowles » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:23 am

It should be bought by Stagecoach and errected as a new bus stop outside The New Christie Park ,to accomodate all the new fans that will attend the new ground in league 1 next season :lol:
The dead don't have a choice - we do!
Stanley Bowles

Postby Christies Child » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:11 am

Mighty Red wrote:I've heard it's been bought by someone in the Arnside/Sandside/Storth area.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Still in negotiations......
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion