Yet more national coverage

Yet more national coverage

Postby Phoenix » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:22 am

Mirror:
Morecambe FC, which was promoted to the league for the first time last year, was voted most popular.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -20689796/

Sun:
Minnows Morecambe in League Two were voted the best-liked club.
“Maybe that’s what Morecambe have achieved — they are new to the league, have new ideas and positive appeal.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 535214.ece
Phoenix

Re: Yet more national coverage

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:56 am

They, the press are hypocrites they report that being negative is bringing Leeds down and they should change and be more positive.

How often do you see good news on the front page of a paper?

Of those, albeit only two, reports how many reported the positive side first?

At the bottom of the Sun report they then go on to mention Leeds' game and how they might fare but no mention of the positive side.

Is it any wonder I stopped buying newspapers years ago :!:

How many times is that now, that we've been voted either the most friendly or peoples second favourite club?

More positivity for our town 8-) :mrgreen:

My glass is half full - get more beer fill it up! :D :D
Last edited by morecambe mick on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morecambe mick

Postby Raeyes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 am

You stopped buying newspapers? I'd hardly call the sun and the mirror credible newspapers. Does anybody actually purchase these comics for a serious read? Do they actually have any serious news in?

It's nice to see that the club (which we the supporters are a large part of) are being recognised nationally as a friendly bunch.
Raeyes

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:58 am

Raeyes wrote:You stopped buying newspapers? I'd hardly call the sun and the mirror credible newspapers. Does anybody actually purchase these comics for a serious read? Do they actually have any serious news in?

It's nice to see that the club (which we the supporters are a large part of) are being recognised nationally as a friendly bunch.

All "newspapers" are bias. It just depends on your opinions / political persuasion.

My wife buys the Visitor, I read the back page.
Usually though, I've already read it online, so I sometimes don't bother with that.
morecambe mick

Postby Posh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:04 am

Sod Leeds United. Morecambe FC - Britain's favourite football team!

We should be shouting it from the rooftops.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Mark S » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:45 am

Went out and actually bought The Sun for the article and I must say the actual article is really positive about us! Great publicity and well done to all of us who have made this happen!

Someone said to me at MK Dons that 'we are in danger of being too freindly'. Bollocks to that. This is superb and what its all about!

Lets keep it up this season!
Mark S

Postby Raeyes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:15 am

Come on, the Sun has no news in it. Truely pants.

Saying that I've just popped out to buy the Sun to get a copy of the article about us, and it reads alot better than the snippet on the site. It lists 5 reasons to love Morecmabe FC. Good stuff. Although one of the reason "they are not a threat" surely isnb't one that Wolves and nob-enders (maybe Forest?) will agree with. :D
Raeyes

Postby Aspers » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:04 pm

Morecambe boys we are here,

Shake your hand and buy you a beer
:lol: :lol:
Aspers

Postby Curly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Posh wrote:Sod Leeds United. Morecambe FC - Britain's favourite football team!

We should be shouting it from the rooftops.

I couldn't agree more , Posh.
I also think that this also lends a lot of weight to the arguement about removing bad language from the terraces. when you come up with a witty retort to a chant or away fans banter ( and I for one love the banter) you get more respect AND reaction from the same fans.
Barrows boot boys have really shot themselves in the foot (no pun intended :lol: )
Now they will have an unwanted reputation, more policing (which they'll hate) and less money as they will have to waste more dealing with a few numpties.
BRITAINS FAVOURITE FOOTBALL CLUB - surely the club must put a sign up, great press and what an advert for Morecambe along with some serious pride that I hope all our fans are feeling.
Who knows, if it exists and we clean up a few chants, we could win a poll for best fans (behaviour)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby marky » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:19 pm

I've just looked at the most liked and most hated lists and there are some interesting teams there. Although I support them, I'm not surprised Leeds were top in the most hated, with that Manchester lot second. But what have Burnley done to be 7th most hated? The only reason Hartlepool will have been voted 4th in the most liked will be the Jeff Stelling connection :p
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Martin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:05 pm

marky wrote:The only reason Hartlepool will have been voted 4th in the most liked will be the Jeff Stelling connection

Speaking of which, Jeff Stelling was hilarious on Soccer Saturday today. Whilst Paul Merson was giving an update on his game, the score came up that Hartlepool had gone 1-0 with James Brown scoring on 13 mins. There was laughter in the studio and a confused look on Merson's face before the camera switched to Jeff Stelling who had produced a 2 foot tall James Brown doll that danced as it blasted out the song "I feel Good.." with Jeff waving his arms in unison behind. Cue another report during which Brown had scored a second on 14 mins and even before we returned to Jeff, the singing had started and there was the James Brown figure with Jeff again dancing behind.

The timing of it all was impeccable!
Martin

Postby Number 1 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Interesting how both the articles lead with Leeds being the most hated, as if to put the boot in, instead of leading with MFC being most liked... Because stirring up the hatred and controversy is a bigger seller isn't it?

Just goes to show what's in a journo's head.
Number 1

Postby ichbeineinbarelaner » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:41 am

sigh ashamed to say i bought the scum yesterday i feel dirty now but also a little warm inside everybody likes us we dont care? :lol:
ichbeineinbarelaner

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:01 am

No-one likes us, no-one likes us
No-one likes us, we don't care.

Another song consigned to the scrap heap! ;)

We won't have any left to sing.

Don't forget allot of people on here don't like us singing "other teams songs"

Strange when most of them are standard football songs that lots of teams sing.

I like "Bring me sunshine" but having only one song is bloody boring, and most get the words wrong anyway.

Lets not get so far up our own arses with this "most popular" team thing, that we forget to really get behind the lads.
I'd rather the friendly fans side of things be in the pub before and after the game, but during.... Let the hostilities commence.

I don't mean resorting to violence or even swearing, there are other ways to make their players feel uncomfortable.
Opposition players don't like a hostile, imtimadating atmosphere, whereas our players know even more that we are as one with them.

Fortress Christie.
morecambe mick

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:15 am

606 mentioned this a couple of times without exploring 'why' we came top. They also were talking about 'adopting a club' for the season. I think we should all get in touch and tell them to adopt us because we are the most liked. They were talking about Exeter...

They want to know 'why' beyond the on the pitch stuff, including 'golf course near by' night out (might not mention that!) so friendly, welcoming fans, collective sense of humour, views across the bay... Get the e-mails sent!

"never let the football spoil your weekend" was in my text!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby sgt major » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:46 pm

I agree with MMick - we ahve to create an intimidating atmosphere at Chrisite Park then a friendly appreciative attitude before an after the game - just hope the police manage to stem some of the scum fans that get into Morecambe this coming season.
sgt major

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:50 am

MMick, Sgt Major, Im behind you 100% with the intimidating atmosphere during the matches. I'm all for being friendly before and after in the bar etc but lets get the drums and singing turned up to an 11!
North Stand Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:15 pm

It would be nice to get some kind of award for this and try to raise the story to the public even more like when we used to win friendliest fans in the conference.

All those Barnet & Hereford fans must have been voting for us.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:39 pm

and Ipswich & Daggers. Possibly even some folk from Accrington! After last season's last game, I think we made a few friends in MK Dons too.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong :lol:

As if you wouldn't :shock:

I thought this was decided by the pollsters contacting the actual clubs and asking them who they thought their fans considered rivals/most hated/ most liked club (after their own)?

So it's not an actual fan vote, if it was, who on this site voted/knew about the poll?

I thought I was wrong once before - but I was mistaken :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby John L » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 pm

MRH wrote:
marky wrote:The only reason Hartlepool will have been voted 4th in the most liked will be the Jeff Stelling connection

Speaking of which, Jeff Stelling was hilarious on Soccer Saturday today. Whilst Paul Merson was giving an update on his game, the score came up that Hartlepool had gone 1-0 with James Brown scoring on 13 mins. There was laughter in the studio and a confused look on Merson's face before the camera switched to Jeff Stelling who had produced a 2 foot tall James Brown doll that danced as it blasted out the song "I feel Good.." with Jeff waving his arms in unison behind. Cue another report during which Brown had scored a second on 14 mins and even before we returned to Jeff, the singing had started and there was the James Brown figure with Jeff again dancing behind.

The timing of it all was impeccable!

Now on YouTube!!!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZnHEmVWKc

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John L

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:47 am

John L wrote:Now on YouTube!!!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZnHEmVWKc

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality he must have rehearsed for that moment :lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think