A defining moment for you.

A defining moment for you.

Postby ezz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Seeing as the boards are a bit dead, might as well try and liven things up.
This can be from any morecambe match from any era, the question is.

What is the most significant defining moment that you've witnessed, which changed our match/season for the better?

Can be anything from a horrific miss in a important match meaning we win to a bolt of lightening disintegrating the ball before it crossed our goal line :lol:

Mine is pretty simple and quite boring actually, but it has to be Curtis' first goal against York in the play-offs when the wind pretty much blew it over the keeper and into the net. I had a feeling at the time we'd win the match and go on to win at wembley.

Another which isn't Morecambe, Dudek's incredible save in the champs league final dying minutes against Shevchenko who was about 2 yards away, kinda knew once that happened it was Liverpool's trophey.

I'm sure other people have more interesting examples
Get over it ;)
ezz

Re: A defining moment for you.

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Wembley first time round in 74. For me the first time at Wembley, first time in London, big underdogs and we go and win 2-1. The second time at Wembley was obviously also magnificent but the first time was still the greatest match I've been too from thousands I've attended since.

True defining moment, Morecambe FC have been deep down in my heart ever since.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby bigreddog » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:03 pm

THE defining moment for me watching Morecambe was boxing day 2006. We'd been a bit up and down form wise, and had been skipping in and out of the play off places. We went to Southport that day in hope more than expectation, and were 1-0 down at half time and a man down due to Perks being sent off. It was all going a bit pear shaped to be honest.

But on and off the pitch there was no giving up. The fans got right behind the team and the team showed the kind of character and bottle that for me has typified the McIlroy years. we went on to win the game with a late winning goal from some bloke called Yates and even though some of the results in the following months were far from perfect the never say die attitude and the belief we got from that result got us, in my opinion, into the play-offs, into the final and into the frame of mind that couldn't care less that we went 1-0 down at wembley to a team we'd had a terrible record against. The rest, as they say, is history.

It will, for me, be a game that lives long in the memory. Not for the result, but for the seeds that it planted for future success.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby ezz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Was that the defining moment that made you a shrimp BS? :D
I know it was a long time ago, but it'd be excellent if you could remember any godlike intervention that helped us along the way to get to the final.
The amount of times I hear commentators say 'that moment could change their season' is annoying as it generally isn't for anything special anymore.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby ezz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Much better than mine BigRed, that attitude certainly has carried on. Peterborough 2-0 down to win 3-2 with 10 men.
And Garry Hunter's foot of God volley to beat Grimsby away I think??? 3-2 in the last minute.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:31 pm

ezz wrote:Was that the defining moment that made you a shrimp BS? :D
I know it was a long time ago, but it'd be excellent if you could remember any godlike intervention that helped us along the way to get to the final.
The amount of times I hear commentators say 'that moment could change their season' is annoying as it generally isn't for anything special anymore.

I went to every round bar one (away at Bedford in the quarter final). Apparently we rode our luck big style that day and fluked a 1-0 win. You need a bit of luck in football no matter who you are!

I suppose the play off semi against York at home was similar in that we got the run of the ball for Waynes equaliser and York just seemed determined to keep letting him have another go till he scored for the winner. :D

What will be the defining moments in the future????? I can see this season being one and for me a defining moment will be actually being in a play off place after being so near in the first two seasons but not quite getting there. Whether we can stop there till the end (if we do) will be the first real defining moment of the new era.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby Pandashrimp » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:35 pm

bigreddog wrote:THE defining moment for me watching Morecambe was boxing day 2006. We'd been a bit up and down form wise, and had been skipping in and out of the play off places. We went to Southport that day in hope more than expectation, and were 1-0 down at half time and a man down due to Perks being sent off. It was all going a bit pear shaped to be honest.

But on and off the pitch there was no giving up. The fans got right behind the team and the team showed the kind of character and bottle that for me has typified the McIlroy years. we went on to win the game with a late winning goal from some bloke called Yates and even though some of the results in the following months were far from perfect the never say die attitude and the belief we got from that result got us, in my opinion, into the play-offs, into the final and into the frame of mind that couldn't care less that we went 1-0 down at wembley to a team we'd had a terrible record against. The rest, as they say, is history.

It will, for me, be a game that lives long in the memory. Not for the result, but for the seeds that it planted for future success.

There are so many great and memorable moments, like the Posh victory described above, but as a "Defining moment" this Southport one is a very good shout. Typifies the fight and spirit we are capable of. Rode our luck though, i actually cant remember which was it did they have like 4 goals disallowed or did they hit the bar something like 4 times? it was one of those. Also wasnt this the game Baker totally destroyed us in the first half? Totally agree with what is said above though re. this game though. Followed it up with a win at Tamworth and in fact i think that proved vital in the 'Promotion year'..We were never good away under Harvey, whereas in 06/07, where we drew alot of games at home, we really made up for it on our travels grinding out results. Something that has gladly continued in the FL. There is no away ground where we couldnt get a result this year i feel. Whereas in the conference days, it wasnt only the bigger teams where we struggled, we also disappointed at places like Northwich year on year.

Another away day that i find symbolic of our conference days was Nuneaton away, where Robbie Talbot knicked it late on, dont know about defining but a personal favourite.
Pandashrimp

Postby pompeyred » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Defining moment for me is probably Drench not getting sent off against York City in the play-offs but the moment that always sticks in my head is away at Chesterfield in the 2nd round of the FA Cup, not long to go and Tomo gets dragged back by his shirt which makes him fall backwards but throws his foot at the ball and lobs the keeper for the winning goal.
pompeyred

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:42 pm

wembley, when exeter scored, my son turned round,telling me , its alright dad, we are going to win 2-1, danny carlton will score the winner :!: :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Wembley when Danny Carlton scorred the winner changed the future of Morecambe Football Club forever
heysham_mfc

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Chesterfield away in the FA Cup is a very good shout, At this time we still weren't fully professional. The cup run gave us much needed cash and also perhaps a sense of direction. We were an up and down conference side for years, and before that an up and down Northern Premier side. Going to Chesterfield and winning IMO mobilised the club into believing they could achieve Football league status. Having seriously followed the club for 3-4 season prior to this match I can look back now and say that as a club we were plodding along and not going anywhere very quickly. The following season we went full-time, a pivotal decision that we have reaped the benefits from.....we're at Port Vale this Saturday!

Wembley was a great ending to the story, but the plan was set after Thommo's lob. I still remember it like it was yesterday, we took a fair few fans and as the game looked as though it was heading for a draw the travelling shrimps army were goading the Chesterfield fans with chants of "will you come to Christie Park", only for a fresh faced Gary Thompson to send us all wild. It was literally the last kick of the game, being young I couldn't contain myself and was on the pitch with a mate who could have been killed by a large number of red faced Spirites. Great days.
RedRedWine1

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:32 am

RedRedWine wrote:It was literally the last kick of the game...

Not so, there was still time to kick off and for a Chesterfield player to get sent off. I don't think I've spoken to any Morecambe fan who was behind the goal who remembers seeing the sending off or what led up to him going!

Pivotal moment? Away at Colwyn Bay, stuck on 99 goals but promotion to the Conference beckoned. Many had doubts as to whether we could manage the jump from regional to national football. Suddenly we would be going to giants like Woking... how exciting was that!!! The following season, opening game at home to Telford, then a giant of non-league football.

Danny's moment in the sun was just amazing and probably THE moment in Morecambe's history.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:07 am

the dropping of danny adams this season - its totally changed our season
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:04 am

oh way to many

my first Morecambe match away at York in the FA cup in 1985

Danny Carlton getting the winner at Wembley

Preston away in the league cup Carling cup, as i work for a Preston form and had bragging rights for a while

and Low was France 98 when England got beat off Argentina with Dave Beckham getting sent off
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 am

Keith wrote:[
Pivotal moment? Away at Colwyn Bay, stuck on 99 goals but promotion to the Conference beckoned.

And I'd taken a big, home-made board with 100 on it to hold up when the goal went in.

It didn't, we got the vital point and I used the two zeros from the board to hold up at the end. And we did a conga right round the perimeter of the ground in days when we could.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:34 am

shrimper wrote:
Keith wrote:[
Pivotal moment? Away at Colwyn Bay, stuck on 99 goals but promotion to the Conference beckoned.

And I'd taken a big, home-made board with 100 on it to hold up when the goal went in.

It didn't, we got the vital point and I used the two zeros from the board to hold up at the end. And we did a conga right round the perimeter of the ground in days when we could.

What a night that was. :lol:

Remember as if was only yesterday. :oops:

The sight of us doing the conga round the field has probably never been repeated on Colwyn's ground since. I seem to recall doing a jig of delight with some Irishman (forgot his name ;)) wearing a red shirt with the number 7 on his back! :D

Can't remember much about the journey home in my car other than the signing and the downing of a couple of bottles of malt (passengers only please note!) in celebrative mood. :D

Thought at the time that such joy would never be repeated. Oh how wrong I was......... :oops:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Monty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:40 am

My first defining moment was in the 60's, my dad took me to my first game at Christie. It was a night match and we beat a team called Guinness Exports 5-0 in the Lancashire combination!

There have been many since then, but looking to the future, both me and my dad will be there at the final whistle next May, when we play the last game at Christie against Aldershot,(if we dont make the play offs) and I dont mind admitting we will both have a tear in our eye!
Monty

Postby Christies Child » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 am

[quote="Monty"]My first defining moment was in the 60's, my dad took me to my first game at Christie. It was a night match and we beat a team called Guinness Exports 5-0 in the Lancashire combination!

There have been many since then, but looking to the future, both me and my dad will be there at the final whistle next May, when we play the last game at Christie against Aldershot,(if we dont make the play offs) and I dont mind admitting we will both have a tear in our eye![/quote]

Somehow think that you will not be the only one.

I made a complete tit of myself :oops: when interviewed by BBC TV prior to the first Football League game at CP.....and I suspect I could very easily make another tit of myself :shock: if the cameras are there again on the final day at CP.

I think it's called 'passion'.....
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:35 am

Is'nt it lovely when we all get together for a group hug :D :lol:

Great memories for a lot of people here :D

For me, away from the playing surface, a baby boy was born on May 17th 1863 to make it all possible 8-)

... and like a Phoenix from the Ashes a new era is taking place on Westgate :D

bigreddog wrote:THE defining moment for me

No Darren! Your defining moment was renaming your quiz team last night :!:

Have you got out of jail yet?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghsuk6Gi ... re=related (Over 18's please)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby feelingguilty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Frickley away for me - promotion season to conference.

Really wet night, just as leaving ground came over PA that Marine had lost (gave us a real chance of winning league - I know we didnt but it didnt matter in end).

First time for me that it felt like the small club I had been watching for 10 years might be going somewherer
feelingguilty

Postby feelingguilty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Frickley away for me - promotion season to conference.

Really wet night, just as leaving ground came over PA that Marine had lost (gave us a real chance of winning league - I know we didnt but it didnt matter in end).

First time for me that it felt like the small club I had been watching for 10 years might be going somewherer
feelingguilty

Postby bigreddog » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:11 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Is'nt it lovely when we all get together for a group hug :D :lol:

Great memories for a lot of people here :D

For me, away from the playing surface, a baby boy was born on May 17th 1863 to make it all possible 8-)

... and like a Phoenix from the Ashes a new era is taking place on Westgate :D

bigreddog wrote:THE defining moment for me

No Darren! Your defining moment was renaming your quiz team last night :!:

Have you got out of jail yet?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghsuk6Gi ... re=related (Over 18's please)

Not entirely sure I want to get out of jail. ;)
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby chipbuns » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:14 pm

bigreddog wrote:THE defining moment for me watching Morecambe was boxing day 2006. We'd been a bit up and down form wise, and had been skipping in and out of the play off places. We went to Southport that day in hope more than expectation, and were 1-0 down at half time and a man down due to Perks being sent off. It was all going a bit pear shaped to be honest.

Have to agree, I seem to recall Southport hitting the woodwork about 5 times aswell as having 2 goals disallowed. Drench had one of his best games in a Morecambe shirt too.

When Yates' cross-come-shot went in , i went beserk!

We never played the same after that , in a good way.
chipbuns

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:32 am

Keith wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:It was literally the last kick of the game...

Not so, there was still time to kick off and for a Chesterfield player to get sent off. I don't think I've spoken to any Morecambe fan who was behind the goal who remembers seeing the sending off or what led up to him going!

I definitely don't remember any of that. Too busy running round on an alcopop fuelled frenzy chanting about how I would be running around Wembley with my wily hanging out to notice that the game was still going on. What a day. Throughout that cup run I was with a lass that I wasn't that keen on but couldn't finish because we were on such a good run and I didn't want to jinx it. We finished just before the Ipswich game, my mates still won't forgive me. If only she hadn't slept around!:lol:
RedRedWine1

Postby al1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:53 pm

2 defining moments,firstly the arrival at the club of Peter Mcguigan and then the appointments of Sammy and Mark.
al1

Next

Return to General Discussion