O/T VIRUS ATTACK WARNING

O/T VIRUS ATTACK WARNING

Postby Christies Child » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:07 pm

It would appear that a nasty virus is doing the rounds which 'burns' all C Drive content.

The Virus is sent via an e-mail entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK' which under no circumstances should you open.......so you've been warned.

It could be a hoax but better to be warned than sorry!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T VIRUS ATTACK WARNING

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:35 pm

Christies Child wrote:It could be a hoax but better to be warned than sorry!

Neil!!! As I've mentioned before...

http://www.snopes.com/

then (on this occasion) type in "postcard" and "Hallmark" in to the search engine...
you would then find yourself here:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

This 'nasty virus' that is doing the rounds is two and a half years old!!! And even then, it was part hoax! So in the time you spent warning us of a non-existent threat, you could have checked and then been sure! Now go and put Snopes in to your favourites! By the way, that person who sued after crashing their campervan when they put in cruise control, then went to make a coffee? Didn't happen. And if you forward that e-mail ten times so that Sony will send you a new laptop? That won't happen either... :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 pm

As we've got new SVs on a fairly regular basis, it doesn't do any harm to warn 'em.....

Better to be reminded than live to regret it.....even if it's a hoax!

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered!
Christies Child

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:00 am

why not add that to all your other footnotes :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby campdave » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:59 am

Christies Child wrote:It would appear that a nasty virus is doing the rounds which 'burns' all C Drive content.

campdave

Postby alwaysright » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:21 am

Well C C i will thank you for that warning, it doesnt do any harm to post warnings like that !!!!
alwaysright

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 am

If people get warned on a daily basis about something that turns out to be a hoax, when something real comes along, they then assume its a hoax. I'm not suggesting that CC is warning on a 'daily basis' but the point is that his/your credibility for 'warnings' deteriorates every time you warn about a hoax or a something that is a couple of years old.

The key is to ensure you update your virus protection regularly and are savvy enough not to open attachments without checking them first and cynical enough to not follow links or give out your password to e-mails offering a lottery/inheritance etc.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 am

Keith wrote:If people get warned on a daily basis about something that turns out to be a hoax, when something real comes along, they then assume its a hoax. I'm not suggesting that CC is warning on a 'daily basis' but the point is that his/your credibility for 'warnings' deteriorates every time you warn about a hoax or a something that is a couple of years old.

The key is to ensure you update your virus protection regularly and are savvy enough not to open attachments without checking them first and cynical enough to not follow links or give out your password to e-mails offering a lottery/inheritance etc.

Keith of course is right in his recommendations about Virus protection and not opening attachments without checking.

HOWEVER, I still think it better to warn even if it is only a very small number of fellow SVs of 'potential' threats. Those new to computing and to SVs will possibly not be as 'aware' of potential threats as the majority of users, especially something that now transpires to be 2 years old. Therefore, at the risk (again) of being a pain in the arse, I feel my original post was well intentioned and would do so again.....without question! :)
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:50 am

Christies Child wrote:HOWEVER, I still think it better to warn even if it is only a very small number of fellow SVs of 'potential' threats. Those new to computing and to SVs will possibly not be as 'aware' of potential threats as the majority of users, especially something that now transpires to be 2 years old. Therefore, at the risk (again) of being a pain in the arse, I feel my original post was well intentioned and would do so again.....without question! :)

FFS Neil!!! NO, you aren't best scaring "those new to computing" about things that can't happen! It was a hoax! Even two years ago, IT WAS A HOAX. It couldn't burn your 'c' drive, EVER!

If you warn people about things that can't happen what do you achieve? Warn them about things that CAN happen and you improve their knowledge. If people continue to circulate hoaxes they are just spreading fear, misinformation and are wasting time. If you get sent 'warnings', check their validity. If they are hoaxes, tell the person who sent it to you and STOP SPREADING IT!

must go and lay down in a darkened room,

Keith
Site Admin

Postby campdave » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:15 am

Christies Child wrote:
HOWEVER, I still think it better to warn even if it is only a very small number of fellow SVs of 'potential' threats. Those new to computing and to SVs will possibly not be as 'aware' of potential threats as the majority of users, especially something that now transpires to be 2 years old. Therefore, at the risk (again) of being a pain in the arse, I feel my original post was well intentioned and would do so again.....without question! :)

Congratulations on wasting everyones time, which is exactly what the originators of this spam want.

With respect, you're the last person I'd be looking for with the latest virus threats and risks to my online security.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:30 am

We are obviously looking at this from two opposing view points.

Better to close this topic that may have been useful to some but not to the majority.

Are you planning a visit before Christmas?

:) :) :)
Christies Child

Postby Christies Child » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:34 am

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Congratulations on wasting everyones time, which is exactly what the originators of this spam want.

With respect, you're the last person I'd be looking for with the latest virus threats and risks to my online security.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby captain sparkle » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 pm

I've been left some money from the estate of Luciano Pavarotti!! :lol: :lol:
I kid you not,
it must be true, I got an email telling me so!!!!!!!!
s'funny 'cos i didn't know he knew me! (that well)
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Whereas this one is NEW and for real! :roll:

Dear customer

It's come to our notice that some of our customers are being targeted by opportunist callers claiming to be calling to help fix slow broadband or computer issues. The caller will ask you to visit www.logmein.com or a similar site and will then take control of your PC remotely, claiming to install anti-virus or anti-spyware software. In reality, they will be installing a virus to try to collect personal information, which may include bank and credit card details, from your computer.

If this should happen to you, please contact us immediately at support@wimanx.com. If you receive an unexpected call purporting to be from your ISP and are suspicious of it's nature, do not pass on any personal details and hang up. If Wi-Manx need to contact you with regard to your broadband, we will be able to identify ourselves by having your account number and support ticket ID to hand. If the caller is unable to provide you with this information, hang up and let us know immediately. Wi-Manx will never ask you to visit www.logmein.com or any other site to remotely control your PC.

For further details, please see this BBC article : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe ... 392303.stm

Best Regards,

Wi-Manx Support

Oddly, only happened in the Isle of Man (or at least, reported on the Isle at least) but worth being aware of.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:05 am

CC, if you fall for stuff like this then you deserve to be in a padded cell and not behind a computer screen. No amount of highlighting will enable you to stop morons falling for such blatant scams.

No scam is new, most internet scams have been recycled from the real World. However, they are far more proficient and cost effective for the scammer.
RedRedWine1

Return to General Discussion