Not a time to be making changes

Not a time to be making changes

Postby Christies Child » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:13 pm

This is now a winning team, so why make changes to the line up?

PM does a hell of a lot of work shielding the ball and laying it off, so at the moment he's as valuable to the team as anybody else.

Would anybody seriously consider a return for DA or (at the risk of upsetting a hell of a lot) Jimbo at the moment?

Old adage 'you never change a winning team'......
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Not a time to be making changes

Postby George Dawes » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:21 pm

for me it's been playing a flat back four whats the main reason behind our recent run a success, and not so much personal

in my own eyes to many teams have sussed us out tactically with our wing back system just like soon Rochdale did after being 3 - 0 at half time came out and got behind our wing-backs

but in fairness 532/352 was a good sytem while it lasted just seen us finish out side the play-offs last year, the problem is it's become common knowledge with L2 Managers in how to combat it now
George Dawes

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:34 pm

I can see where you are coming from CC, but don't forget Jimbo was involved in the first two of this four game winning run (scoring the all important opener at Crewe). A nice problem to have, but for me if he is fit Bentley starts (captain or not).
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimpnsave » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:44 pm

why would we change it :?: :?:

we have pace at the back now :?: :?: esp adams :roll:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:01 pm

bring back Darren Moss :D

Adams & Moss as our full backs in a flat back four would see make the playoffs easily :roll:
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:15 pm

P/T Indie wrote:bring back Darren Moss :D

Adams & Moss as our full backs in a flat back four would see make the playoffs easily :roll:

yeah the blue square play offs :roll:
heysham_mfc

Postby George Dawes » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:21 pm

P/T Indie wrote:bring back Darren Moss :D

Ive still faith in Moss as a fullback in a back four and any of our defenders to come in and do a job ie. McStay

but Adams your having a giraffe :shock:
George Dawes

Postby Mark S » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Not a time to be making changes? I dont know how you have the brass neck!

Now that has to be the biggest about turn in history! :lol:

You do make me smile Neil.

If you had your way, the Board would have been considering changes a few weeks ago! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark S

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:48 am

To be honest a giraffe would do better in defence than adams - thought he would have been shipped out on loan by now
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby campdave » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:05 am

Has there been suggestion there are about to be changes, or is CC just looking for an excuse to start a new thread?

As for DA (it would be nice if CC could use names instead of initials, saves me having to figure out who he's talking about. Just as annoying as txt spk in my opinion. Maybe he could start fewer useless threads if he's short of time), while we're playing a back 4, I think he'll be on the bench, as he's not tall enough to play in the centre pairing, and too slow to play left-back.

Sammy has tended to stick with a winning formula once he's found one in his tenure with us, only changing players in or out due to injury or suspension. I'd be interested to know the rationale behind this thread.
campdave

Postby shrimper » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:47 am

To be fair to CC (though he could have submitted this under an existing thread where this was mentioned) some people, me included, have hinted that Mullin may be rested sometime soon.

As to the systems we use - I've said elsewhere, it's about players, flexibility and not just rigid 'this one's right' formations.

I don't think we played any better at Crewe, or at home to Cheltenham (4-4-2) than we did at Torquay or at home to Lincoln (5-3-2), neither of whom 'sussed' our system and got behind our wingbacks - our wingbacks caused them problems all afternoon.

I reckon (only my guess) that the change to 4-4-2 was a direct response to the fact that Carlisle (who had two very good fullbacks) DID smother our wide men very effectively, so we changed it for Crewe so as to have rehearsed the flexibility of a 4-4-2 option for the important Carlisle replay. At Crewe we also played 4-3-3 for long periods.

It worked well, we stuck with it.

Sammy's tactics and his ability to adapt have now shown us all that some of our players are happier in a 4-4-2, some in a 5-3-2, others comfortable with either.

But, far more importantly, he's demonstrated (if anyone still had any doubt) that he can manage a squad that can play a range of systems and be effective in any.

He will use different systems at different times against different opposition again in future, that's what a good manager does and Sammy's a good manager.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 am

Hands up anyone who would rather have Neil Woods , Steve Staunton or Chris Sutton in charge of our team !

We are very fortunate to have Sammy running things.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:02 am

Fgh shrimp wrote:To be honest a giraffe would do better in defence than adams - thought he would have been shipped out on loan by now

Not like you to stick ya neck out John! :lol:

Who actually said we would be making changes anyway? Jim make a good commentator ~ allegedly ;)
Last edited by marky No.1 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby ockers » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 am

With 4 at the back and the personnel we have
we dont have to sit back so deep than when we are playing with three centre halves?
the gap between midfield and defence seems much narrower so hopefully we shouldnt allow the opposition to come at us perhaps it is the case ther front men have to time their runs better
we have had a player sat in front Garry Hunter who does an excelent job whilst we wait for Manny Panther to return
i see it as a 4 1 3 2 if you like... imho
Bury have a consistent shape to their side they play 4 4 2 and they have a goalscorer in Nardiello who should be starting
Barry-Murphy and Dawson the playmakers in the centre so some good battles lie ahead on tuesday night
should be a cracking game
:geek:
ockers

Postby ezz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:15 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Hands up anyone who would rather have Neil Woods , Steve Staunton or Chris Sutton in charge of our team !

We are very fortunate to have Sammy running things.

After the Northampton game I remember someone arguing with me that they'd rather see an ex-player type manager like that come in. an't remember who it was but I hope they didn't mean those mentioned above :lol:

I think an ex player like that would do better in a team that is massively under performing instead of a team that doesn't have the quality like Sutton and Staunton have. Purely because I think they are better at inspiring the players rather than out thinking other managers. Time will tell but I think at least one of them will go down.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby campdave » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:18 am

ezz wrote:
After the Northampton game I remember someone arguing with me that they'd rather see an ex-player type manager like that come in. an't remember who it was but I hope they didn't mean those mentioned above :lol:

Some wally mentioned Denis Wise. Wish I could be bothered to search and find out.
campdave

Postby ezz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:21 am

I think the only one I'd accept would be Di Matteo, just on the basis that I like him :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Return to General Discussion