O/T - Happy Thanksgiving !

O/T - Happy Thanksgiving !

Postby USA Shrimp » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:45 am

Today is Thanksgiving in America. It is a bank holiday and usually schools and whatnot are off from Wednesday afternoon until Monday. Despite the questionable revisionist roots, it is my favourite 'holiday' here in Yankland. Generally folk gather at the home of parents and everyone has a huge meal - it's kind of like Christmas but without the presents. As it is not religious in any way everybody in America joins in and 'gives thanks'.

My favourite tradition of the day is that when everyone is eating the meal you go around the table and each person says what they are thankful for. In the spirit of Thanksgiving let's all say what we (as MFC fans) are thankful for.

As an exile, I am thankful for ShrimpsVoices and the opportunity it affords me to keep in touch with my club, my hometown, and my country. I'm thankful for the friends, new and old, virtual and physical, that I have made via SV.

Over to you...

...and while you're at it, pass the cranberry sauce !
USA Shrimp

Re: O/T - Happy Thanksgiving !

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:04 am

Lets not forget what thanksgiving is really all about.......the autumn wind is a pirate, silver and black, go Raiders!

Happy thanksgiving USA Shrimp.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:01 am

Happy Thanksgiving USA "Have a Nice Day!"

We are celebrating Lancashire day today! :o (Official date 27th November 8-) )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 046149.stm
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:39 pm

It's also Eid el-Adha, 2 months after the end of Ramadan.
A cause for much celebration in many parts of world.
Though not much fun for a lot of sheep and goats.
Plain Peter

Postby Mark S » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Peter wrote:It's also Eid el-Adha, 2 months after the end of Ramadan.

Those barbarians! Why cant they be civil and slaughter Turkeys and Pigs like us at Christmas?
Mark S

Postby Suzi Quatro » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:30 pm

Today was Lancashire Day so I would like to rasie a toast of Thnksgiving to our great County of Lancashire. I would like to celebrate Lancashire for its heritage and industry both past and present as well as its diversity. Last but not least let us celebrate the number one football team in Lancashire no other than Morecambe Football Club.
Suzi Quatro

Postby George Dawes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:45 pm

maybe going off topic slighlty and i think i may have brought it up on here before, but seeing Lancashire day as been brought up

why the hell is Lancaster not the capital of Lancashire anymore War of the Roses and Romans n all the History surrounding the city, when York is still of Yorkshire

and why the hell Preston anybody :?
Last edited by George Dawes on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:47 pm

It'd seem better due to the name and everything, maybe we should change it to Prestonshire?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:41 pm

DawZi wrote:why the hell is Lancaster not the capital of Lancashire anymore War of the Roses and Romans n all the History surrounding the city, when York is still of Yorkshire

and why the hell Preston anybody :?

I wouldn't get bogged down too much with that. The historical link between the War of the Roses and the cities of Lancaster and York (indeed the counties of Lancashire and Yorkshire) are few and far between. Partly due to poor coverage and partly I suspect due to the romanticising of sporting events between sides from the two counties (Roses match at Cricket for example) you often get the sense that the actual War of the Roses was exclusively the Counties themselves. In actual fact the War of the Roses was between the Lancaster and York branches of the Plantagenet House. The majority of land covered by the Duchy of Lancaster is in Gloucestershire I think, and remains the reigning monarchs main source of income.

Lancaster is the traditional market town of Lancashire, although Preston is now the administrative centre for Lancashire County Council activities (note this area does not cover the same as the actual county boundaries). I wouldn't class either as the capital, as it is just a little silly. 8-)
RedRedWine1

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Lancaster should be the main city as it goes with the name but Preston is more central for the whole of the county. and why do we have 'Lancashire derbys' agaist teams like Bury and Rochdale I know these were part of Lancashire at a time but they are not in Lancashire any more!
heysham_mfc

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:00 am

Lancaster is still classed as the county town of Lancashire.
Preston being the headquarters for the Lancashire County Council is classed as the adminstative capital.
People from Preston are still Lancastrians.
morecambe mick

Postby George Dawes » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:21 am

am sure if enough people kicked up a stink about it with the media, you could get it overturned on priniple
George Dawes

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:31 am

Stan Laurel was born in Ulverston, Lancashire 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:04 am

Mark S wrote:
Peter wrote:It's also Eid el-Adha, 2 months after the end of Ramadan.

Those barbarians! Why cant they be civil and slaughter Turkeys and Pigs like us at Christmas?

I remember one Eid el-Adha in Riyadh.
It was a holiday, and Me, Doris, and our lad David got in our Chelsea Tractor and drove to a wadi for a picnic.
We settled down for a pleasant afternoon.
About 100 yards away a big dodge truck pulled up, and out piled about 20 locals, and their pet Billy.
They tethered Billy, and their children (I was going to say kids :lol:) were playing with it like a family pet.
The adults began preparing their picnic.
The ordinary Saudis are very hospitable folk.
It wasn't long before the head of the group wandered across to us, and invited us to join them for their Eid meal.
Doris was all for it, but I politely refused the offer, much to Doris' annoyance.
About an hour later Doris said to me "...where's that goat gone?"
I just shook my head :)
Plain Peter

Postby shrimper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:09 am

Lancaster is and always will be the county town. Preston is just the seat of local government, much as they'd try to tell you otherwise.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 am

shrimper wrote:Lancaster is and always will be the county town. Preston is just the seat of local government, much as they'd try to tell you otherwise.

TOO RIGHT.....

Their isn't much that really pisses me off these days but this subject really gets to me!

Lancaster IS and always will be THE COUNTY TOWN of LANCASHIRE.....so piss off Preston!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Peter wrote:It wasn't long before the head of the group wandered across to us, and invited us to join them for their Eid meal.
Doris was all for it, but I politely refused the offer, much to Doris' annoyance.
About an hour later Doris said to me "...where's that goat gone?"
I just shook my head :)

I was talking to an environmental health officer during one sailing from the Isle of Man. We'd got around to some of the 'yuck' that they have to deal with and then I mentioned eating from street vendors in hot countries. He said that you are better off eating meat from a street vendor in a hot country than salad in the UK and that there is no need for a fridge because the meat you eat was probably running around only a few hours earlier. I'd definately joined the Saudis for their goat meal!

I've never eaten salad since! :roll: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Christies Child wrote:
shrimper wrote:Lancaster is and always will be the county town. Preston is just the seat of local government, much as they'd try to tell you otherwise.

TOO RIGHT.....

Their isn't much that really pisses me off these days but this subject really gets to me!

Lancaster IS and always will be THE COUNTY TOWN of LANCASHIRE.....so piss off Preston!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I think that people like me and Keith laugh at stuff like this.
The world's yer oyster.
You've got about 70 years or so to enjoy it.
Take it, and enjoy it.
Or leave it, and fall off the end.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:06 am

Keith wrote: He said that you are better off eating meat from a street vendor in a hot country than salad in the UK and that there is no need for a fridge because the meat you eat was probably running around only a few hours earlier. I'd definately joined the Saudis for their goat meal!

Couldn't agree more.
I'd have loved to have joined them.
But I knew that we'd have been expected to play with Billy.
And perhaps help the main man sharpen his knife.
Then witness Billy's demise.
Then the skinning.
And finally enjoy the BBQ.
Wouldn't have bothered me too much, but Doris has a sensitive tummy :)
Plain Peter

Return to General Discussion