Morecambe 1 Cheltenham 0 Wilson f/t

Re: Morecambe 1 Cheltenham 0 Wilson f/t

Postby marky » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:10 pm

I left Christie Park on Saturday with a rather odd feeling. Happy that we'd won yet somehow flat. I imagine the fact it was such a terrible game might have something to do with that feeling. I do have one or two comments to make. Firstly, I cannot agree with some of the above comments re: Artell. I (and those around me) thought he was awful for much of the game, none more so when he pushed one of their players to give away one of the most needless free kicks I've seen just just outside the box. Indeed, had Cheltenham not been so inept, they could and maybe should have made more of the opportunities we gave them. I'm not Sammy's greatest fan, but watching and listening to him was often more interesting than the football and he wasn't a happy bunny practically from the start, whether it be his own players or some of the strange decisions made by the match officials.

In terms of the starting line up, I fail to see the logic in playing a left-footed player on the right wing, especially when it means that he invariably slowed the play up by making damned sure he could use his left. I can only think of 2 occasions when Twiss ran at their full-back so if you're gonna play him, at least play him on the left. I was impressed by Haining (reminds me very much of a younger Jim Bentley) and continue to be by Parrish, who I've already said is unrecognisable from last season.

As always, there are negatives. I'm not sure we really get the best out of Wilson at left-back, especially when he doesn't really have anyone in front of him as cover. We saw what he can do when he scored the goal but his had precious little opportunity to do that as our system meant we were rather lacking down his side. Whilst Twiss had the odd flash of something, he was off the pace for much of the match and I feel we had 2 players on the bench who could perform in that position more effectively. Sammy's substitutions continue to baffle in terms of their timing.

It is 3 points. However, they were shocking and we weren't much better. As our run of fixtures against poorer sides continues tonight, I feel we need to start improving on the performance side because we've struggled during both of the matches I've seen recently (even if one was in Carlisle).
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:57 pm

marky wrote:I left Christie Park on Saturday with a rather odd feeling. Happy that we'd won yet somehow flat. I imagine the fact it was such a terrible game might have something to do with that feeling. I do have one or two comments to make. Firstly, I cannot agree with some of the above comments re: Artell. I (and those around me) thought he was awful for much of the game, none more so when he pushed one of their players to give away one of the most needless free kicks I've seen just just outside the box. Indeed, had Cheltenham not been so inept, they could and maybe should have made more of the opportunities we gave them. I'm not Sammy's greatest fan, but watching and listening to him was often more interesting than the football and he wasn't a happy bunny practically from the start, whether it be his own players or some of the strange decisions made by the match officials.

In terms of the starting line up, I fail to see the logic in playing a left-footed player on the right wing, especially when it means that he invariably slowed the play up by making damned sure he could use his left. I can only think of 2 occasions when Twiss ran at their full-back so if you're gonna play him, at least play him on the left. I was impressed by Haining (reminds me very much of a younger Jim Bentley) and continue to be by Parrish, who I've already said is unrecognisable from last season.

As always, there are negatives. I'm not sure we really get the best out of Wilson at left-back, especially when he doesn't really have anyone in front of him as cover. We saw what he can do when he scored the goal but his had precious little opportunity to do that as our system meant we were rather lacking down his side. Whilst Twiss had the odd flash of something, he was off the pace for much of the match and I feel we had 2 players on the bench who could perform in that position more effectively. Sammy's substitutions continue to baffle in terms of their timing.

It is 3 points. However, they were shocking and we weren't much better. As our run of fixtures against poorer sides continues tonight, I feel we need to start improving on the performance side because we've struggled during both of the matches I've seen recently (even if one was in Carlisle).

I seem to recall somebody making the same point about Wilson..... :?: :?: :?: ;) ;) ;)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:39 pm

some people are just never happy, after a run of back to back wins :?

it's been so nice tonight on the Morecambe iplayer to hear Big Jimbo singing the praises of this new formation in recent games with a flat back four and the pace of Parrish and Wilson as fullbacks ;)

wing-backs are so last year :lol:
George Dawes

Previous

Return to General Discussion