O/T Windows 7

O/T Windows 7

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Thinking of getting this new system but would like to know what other people wo have tried it think first. Is it any good I have XP at the moment had Vista but like many people changed back as I din't like using it much.
heysham_mfc

Re: O/T Windows 7

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:00 pm

i too was thinking about getting w7,main reason was having windows media centre which apparently you can only use with vista and w7,correct me if im wrong,

tell you what you buy it first and tell me what you think of it 8-) 8-)
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby greenshrimp » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 pm

I've been running it on my laptop since it was released and does have a number of benefits:

- Search is miles better than any other version of windows - press the windows button, type the first few letters of an app/file and it finds it instantly, hit enter and its open.
- Boot up is much faster
- Battery life has improved
- Very stable - not crashed yet
- No issues with drivers - installed, up and running and connected to the internet with everything running without installing any additional drivers within 30mins
- Looks pretty

The user interface is very similar to Vista and takes a while to get used to, but now I'm used to it, I find it much better to use than Vista and Xp, my only niggle is that 'Show desktop' is all the way in the bottom right next to the clock which takes ages to get to on a touchpad.

Worth installing if you get a good deal (I went for Professional).

In a few words, its worthwhile if you have the money to upgrade, otherwise I wouldn't say its a massive step forward unless you're a heavy user.

GS
greenshrimp

Postby Brian C » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:26 pm

I have run a lot of tests and experiments on it as well as gone to a couple of Microsoft seminars for W7.

I have installed it on my personal laptop, and would highly recommend it, unlike Vista. The count on installations in work is about 21 so far, with everyone that has done it pleased they did.

The overheads are lower than Vista, and it will in fact run on lower spec machines than vista did. I have successfully installed and tested it on a 5yr old P4.

However, I agree it is a major change from XP to W7.
Brian C

Postby marky » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Been using it for about 4 months now and it's much better than any other version of Windows I've ever used. I'd highly recommend it!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:29 pm

greenshrimp wrote:- Search is miles better than any other version of windows - press the windows button, type the first few letters of an app/file and it finds it instantly, hit enter and its open. Like a four year old Mac?
- Boot up is much faster Like a four year old Mac?
- Battery life has improved I don't know if that is like a four year old Mac
- Very stable - not crashed yet Like a four year old Mac?
- No issues with drivers - installed, up and running and connected to the internet with everything running without installing any additional drivers within 30mins Like a four year old Mac?
- Looks pretty Like a four year old Mac?

You could just get a four year old Mac! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAC-IBOOK-G4-LAPT ... 4a9c488548

Seriously, by all accounts, Windows 7 is excellent, looks like Microsoft got this one right. My mate installed it on an old laptop and it works perfectly and his main machine is flying now.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:47 pm

thanks for the info ;)
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Simple question from a 'simple person'..... :?: :?: :?:

I've been using XP Pro since circa 2000, is it worth the cost of changing and if so what are its benefits over XP Pro:?: :?: :?:

Thanks
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby greenshrimp » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Christies Child wrote:Simple question from a 'simple person'..... :?: :?: :?:

I've been using XP Pro since circa 2000, is it worth the cost of changing and if so what are its benefits over XP Pro:?: :?: :?:

Thanks

If your happy with it and dont have any problems with it, no - its not worth paying out for it.

There is nothing outstanding that would make you 'need' to upgrade...

GS
greenshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:08 pm

greenshrimp wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Simple question from a 'simple person'..... :?: :?: :?:

Thanks

If your happy with it and dont have any problems with it, no - its not worth paying out for it.

There is nothing outstanding that would make you 'need' to upgrade...

GS

Cheers GS...you've confirmed what a few others have said when I did a bit of research into 7 v XL Pro.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:04 pm

It'll be worth changing once Microsoft no longer provide updates for XP, but that'll be a while yet...
marky

Postby campdave » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:09 am

marky wrote:It'll be worth changing once Microsoft no longer provide updates for XP, but that'll be a while yet...

2014 :lol:
campdave

Postby marky » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:07 pm

By which point there'll be something new. Seriously though, I can't recommend Windows 7 enough. Once you get used to the new interface, I'd argue it's more user friendly than XP.
marky

Return to General Discussion