Some opinions on Diarmuid..

Some opinions on Diarmuid..

Postby shrimper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:18 am

gleaned from various bits on the web

We beat Gers under 19's 3-2 the other day. saw the game on Celtic T.V. The boy O'Carrol in that game scored an absolutely amazing goal and in general looked a very bright prospect along with Charlie Grant(Lennon lookalike in ability style and looks) Charlie Mugrew looks a born leader and the boy Fox between the sticks looked not bad either. Not sure if its the same O'Carrol as it seems a popular surname in the Celtic ranks but if it is Ireland has produced another fantastic footballer. Hope that helps. His goal involved killin the ball on his thigh and turning and striking a beautiful shot into the top corner.sheer class mate. Wish he was scottish.

O'Carroll and O'Dea scored today as Celtic's U-19s won the championship to add to their youth cup and reserve title. O'Carroll has been scoring a lot recently.

last Saturday week I made the short trip to the top of the Ross Road in Killarney to meet a young man at his home whose career I have been following with huge interest for the last few years and my expectations were fully realised when at last I got to meet Diarmuid o Carrroll the rising Glasgow Celtic soccer star who was home on a flying visit literally in between training sessions with the legendary Glasgow club. Only days before I had read with great pride in the Examiner where this young man had been the star for the Irish under 19 Soccer team who had stunned Italy packed with pin-ups of Seri A as the beat them 2-0 in Bari. To my knowledge this was the first time in history that an Irish team had beaten the Italians on home ground, and the man who scored the first goal and made the second was our young Kerry hero.

The set-piece was initially played in quickly to Kevin Cawley, who then found Diarmuid O’Carroll inside the box. The Irish striker has hit a rich vein of form since his return to the reserve line-up in recent weeks and he fired the ball across to Derek Riordan, who rammed an emphatic, close-range finish into the bottom corner.

Up front was the ever-eager Nicky Riley and the combative Irishman Diarmuid O'Carroll, who had a fascinating tussle with Motherwell's 6ft 6in centre-half Steve McDonald before a head knock forced him off late on.

For long periods it looked like it was going to be a frustrating day for the powerful Irish striker, who gives 100% commitment, holds the ball up well and packs a mean shot. But he kept battling away and got his reward when he was on hand to nick the first, a good poacher's goal. In the second half he had a very physical battle with the gigantic Well centre-half Steve McDonald, challenging him for every high ball and giving him a very uncomfortable time all in. Still available for the Under-19s but looks to be a real battler. And, at around 6ft tall, he is a great build for a centre forward in the Mark Hughes mould. Reckon we'll be seeing a bit more of the bold Diarmuid!

Diarmuid O'Carroll - 17yr old striker from Killarney, Co. Kerry, plays for Ireland U19's with McGeady. moves between reserves and U19's. Excellent prospect, can receive the ball, and bring others into play, good at holding it up. can go all the way. playing in both reserves and U19's
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Re: Some opinions on Diarmuid..

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:24 pm

Looks like an interesting prospect Glen. Still young and hopefully eager to improve.

We should have now enough options to blend a team together on roughly the same wavelength, rather than working round (and relying on) skills of individuals.

With the squad well balanced nobody should be expecting an automatic place, leading to a stronger base later in the season when injuries and suspensions take their toll.

If we have two players competing hard for nearly every position, anyone slacking or on a run of poor form should be back on the bench, irrespective of status.

Let us wish them well for the season.
Alan

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Does anyone know if the lad has any pace? We dfinately need some injecting into the team with no-more Tommo. Is he likely to be in the starting line-up come the start of the season?

Maybe him up-front with Baker just behind?
Wild Bill

Postby james456 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Does anyone know if the lad has any pace? We dfinately need some injecting into the team with no-more Tommo. Is he likely to be in the starting line-up come the start of the season?

Maybe him up-front with Baker just behind?

Yes I think he is pretty quick. Cant remember where I read that, though...
james456

Postby shrimper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:19 pm

"A wonderful targetman performance from the powerful Irish teenager. He was an absolute glutton for punishment, showing himself for every clearance, holding off defenders, beating them for pace and winning the ball in the air. Will be a bit annoyed at his bad pass in the first half, and could have had a couple of goals late on. But he was the out-ball time and time again for Celtic and took more than a few whacks. Led the line superbly."

Probably here - it was already linked in the original 'new signing' thread so I didn't include it on my selection.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm getting more and more excited to see him.

I was speaking to a colleague today, a Celtic fan, who says we've got ourselves a very good signing, and he'll be more heavyweight than the other strikers in our squad.
Harry

Postby admiral47 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi Hope he gets a shout early on. Worried about some previous posts talking about Twiss as a target man. I think we definitely need more pace and skill up front and although Twiss is a very skilful player did not look like beating many players last season with his pace. Also Blinks did not look like scoring with his back to goal, although holds the ball up well. It would be good to have twiss's skill with Danny Carleton's pace-or am I being unrealistic!!
admiral47

Postby bigreddog » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:30 pm

seen the lad on Celtic TV. decent finsher, good pace. I'm pleasantly surprised we've managed to attract a lad of such potential. Any reason why it's just on a one year deal, or have I read that wrong in the paper?
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Phoenix » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 pm

I get email alerts when google finds a new page with the word Morecambe in it. Diarmuid's signing seems to have generated more news pages than any of the previous signings. Nice guy to talk to, I'd put him in the Blinkhorn stable ;)
Phoenix

Postby shrimper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:15 pm

bigreddog wrote:seen the lad on Celtic TV. decent finsher, good pace. I'm pleasantly surprised we've managed to attract a lad of such potential. Any reason why it's just on a one year deal, or have I read that wrong in the paper?

One year is what we were told - Quinny? Can you shed any light on the reason?
shrimper

Return to General Discussion