Anthony Elding

Anthony Elding

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:08 pm

I could be wrong :shock: , but I seem to recall a number of SV's rating this striker in the past.

He has joined Kettering on loan until January after being told by Crewe that he was surplus to requirements. Burton Albion wanted him but he's chosen (or been forced :?: ) to go to Kettering instead.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Anthony Elding

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:41 pm

I like Elding think he scored a goal as well last night
heysham_mfc

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:28 am

Did Elding not play for Kettering once upon a time? Seem to think he joined them when they were a Conference North outfit?

I don't think we need any more attacking midfield players. If we had everybody fit we'd have a really strong unit in that department. Garry Hunter has been top notch in any position he has played, but for injuries I doubt we'd have seen him taking such an active role in the side. When everybody is fit he should keep a spot in the side on merit. I'd say the same for Stanners after last Saturday, buy who would you leave out when Panther is fit?
RedRedWine1

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:39 am

no one, just rotate a bit, i personally think a midfield with niel wainwright stanners and drummond would be first on the teamsheet, but gh and manny would work fine with them as subs, i think twiss and jevons should be given a decent try out up front,
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 am

It's actually a really strange predicament. Arguably our weakest area over the last 10 years has suddenly become the area where we have many (loan :D ) quality first team players all vying for a start. Unfortunately other areas lack the same competition. IMO we now have the players in the midfield department to play a number of formations, however previously tried and tested parts of the team have faltered on the occasions when Sammy tinkered at the start of the season (we looked pants at the back).

Here is a bit of controversy, Craney (who when fit will be looking to break into this same area) is great going forward but can't last longer than an hour before looking gingerly towards the bench huffing and puffing. I've wanted him to be at our club for so long, but I think the benefit he brings going forward negates the defensive imbalance he can cause to the side. I do not doubt his ability, more his suitability given the other personnel that we have at the club. A defence that I thought looked rock solid has proven to be vulnerable as soon as you place anybody in front of them that is not a player with defensive attributes and or the legs to track back.
RedRedWine1

Postby The Marksman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 am

I said that a couple of weeks ago. He doesn't offer enough bite. I think our midfield works better with three terriers, with Drummond getting the furthest forward.
The Marksman

Postby Christies Child » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:21 am

The Marksman wrote:I said that a couple of weeks ago. He doesn't offer enough bite. I think our midfield works better with three terriers, with Drummond getting the furthest forward.

The one thing about SVs which I find excellent is the differing views about formations and players. We are ALL managers after all..... :lol:

For me Drummy would be the link between defence and the midfieled. Getting forward for corners etc when possible, but providing the skill that delivers the ball from deep positions out wide to our wing backs.

Of late, he's looking more and more like the Drummy we knew of old.

One thing for sure he's proved me wrong more than once...and long may he continue to do so!

:D :D :D
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:23 pm

If we play with wing backs which seems to work for us then IMHO the best 2 are Wilson on the left and Wainwright on the right.

This formation just leaves 3 midfield positions. When everyone is fit IMHO the best players for midfield are Panther (holding player) and Drummond with Stanley/Craney. Craney to start usually and give way to the energetic Stanley after 65/70 minutes.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:55 pm

No Hunter for you Heysham_Shrimp? I think he's been superb this season, playing all over the place in unfamiliar roles for the good of the team. When everybody is fit, I wouldn't like to see him drop to the bench.

Who put the ball in the City net!
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm not getting carried away by one good win as I've always thought that this season we have a squad capable of challenging for the play-offs. That may well not happen but I do think we are 'capable', based on what I see as an improvement on last year's squad.

Hunter, Craney, Stanley, Drummy - all good players, it's just about getting the system and the selection that is most effective.

What I would like to see in January (or before if we can manage it) is the arrival of someone (probably on loan) of someone in a forward position with a bit of pace.

Mullin and Jevons are both doing a good job for us but we are very one-paced through the middle.

Wide, we're fine, but centrally unless Gary goes on a run we've no pace and that would give us just another thing for opponents to think about, even if it was just coming on from the bench at first.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby hunter8 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:38 pm

heysham shrimps never been a fan of garrys so why would he want him in the team :?:
hunter8

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:29 pm

I just picked what was IMHO the best players if EVERYONE was available.

It will be interesting to see what happens when everyone is fit.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Return to General Discussion