O/T Tv signal remote transmitter

O/T Tv signal remote transmitter

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:11 pm

With the changeover coming our way this week, we've been looking at ways to utilise a second Tv in another room in our house but don't want to go to the expence of installing cabling.

Has anybody got or know of anybody who has a remote Tv signal transmitter that can be hooked up to the main Tv and then send a wireless signal to the second Tv so that it can be viewed in a seperate room from the main Tv?

What is the reception like on the remote Tv and does it affect the reception on the main Tv?

Help much appreciated.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Tv signal remote transmitter

Postby Naylz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:21 pm

i'm looking for the same thing, only thing i can find are "AV Senders" but they only send the signal that is on the first TV.
Naylz

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 pm

While we're on about it, any experiences of Slingbox? I saw one on someone's PDA type thing while away from home but not seen what they are like on a laptop screen.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby campdave » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Naylz wrote:i'm looking for the same thing, only thing i can find are "AV Senders" but they only send the signal that is on the first TV.

Think that's what CC is referring to. I tried out one once, but found it to be rubbish.
campdave

Postby greenshrimp » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:00 pm

AVI senders can intefere/be intefered with wi-fi signal too. Could you not buy a cheapo freeview box for your second tv?

If you can hook a laptop up to the TV, www.tvcatchup.com provides all the DTT channels (plus a few more) live via the web at decent quality and for free.
greenshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 pm

greenshrimp wrote:AVI senders can intefere/be intefered with wi-fi signal too. Could you not buy a cheapo freeview box for your second tv?
If you can hook a laptop up to the TV, http://www.tvcatchup.com provides all the DTT channels (plus a few more) live via the web at decent quality and for free.

Could do, but would need to have an aerial socket in each room to give us the flexiblity we want and would be too expensive to install. Remote antennas don't work in our area due to low signal strength.
Christies Child

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Christies Child wrote:
greenshrimp wrote:AVI senders can intefere/be intefered with wi-fi signal too. Could you not buy a cheapo freeview box for your second tv?
If you can hook a laptop up to the TV, http://www.tvcatchup.com provides all the DTT channels (plus a few more) live via the web at decent quality and for free.

Could do, but would need to have an aerial socket in each room to give us the flexiblity we want and would be too expensive to install. Remote antennas don't work in our area due to low signal strength.

can you not run Co axial cable to your second tv with an ariel amplifier from your primary tv?
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby greenshrimp » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 pm

This got a good review:

http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/AvCommu ... SAFFDGM001

but i've also heard plenty bad said about them. Guess it depends if you can risk £30 to check it out.
greenshrimp

Postby burple » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:49 am

I have one bought from asda for about £25 ish

It's not perfect if that's what your hoping for. Doesn't affect the signal to the main TV downstairs at all. Upstairs if the bit of wire from the box is pointing in the right direction it's a pretty good reception really if it's not it's crap... some times it just needs a wiggle. I would recommend one though if your just watching on a portable upstairs.

oh and most these days like ours have a IR signal sender too which is bloody good. Means I can take my sky+ remote upstairs with me and change the channel, watch recorded stuff etc jobs a good un :D
burple

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 am

CC SAID

Remote antennas don't work in our area due to low signal strength

does this not negate the whol subject :?:

CC is the new robin cooper (the timewaster letters author)
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby burple » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 am

no it doesn't negate the whole subject in the slightest how would it? :?
burple

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:51 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:CC SAID

Remote antennas don't work in our area due to low signal strength

does this not negate the whol subject :?:

CC is the new robin cooper (the timewaster letters author)

...that's the whole reason for wanting a remote transmitter PLUS we can't be arsed with a lot of extra cabling. Antennas normally fixed to the back of portable Tvs are useless.
Christies Child

Postby burple » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:09 pm

see my post cc

I say get one... if don't work take it back ;)

mine works a treat great bit of kit

another thing you can get higher frequency ones that will work if you have wi:fi but these are more expensive £80 (might be cheaper now), the wi:fi signal will sometimes interfere with the signal so do microwaves etc.

Not a problem for us cause we only use it watch stuff in bed so the PC is off etc
burple

Postby greenshrimp » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:43 pm

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/28 ... 1-06-15-56

IN Aldi on Sunday and theyre normally pretty good about taking stuff back if it doesn't work as you'd expect.

GS
greenshrimp

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:19 pm

I've just wired up a second tv to my Sky+ box using this http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=5347799&Submit=GO+%3E

It's NOT wireless though. You need to run a cable to the second tv, but in my case the wireless option was a no go as all of the ones I tried got interference from my wireless broadband. this way works perfectly with the picture being as good as the original.

This kit allows you to wire up 3 more tv's to your sky and also has a 3 remote sensors so that you can use the sky remote in each room too.

If your going to utilise the RF sockets on your Sky box you need to also go into the service menu and swith them on. Press Services, 4,0,1 then choose Rf sockets and then switch them on.

Hope this helps
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:32 pm

greenshrimp wrote:http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11833.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-11-06-15-56

IN Aldi on Sunday and theyre normally pretty good about taking stuff back if it doesn't work as you'd expect.

GS

Cheers for that....I'll get one and if it doesn't do what I want it'll go back!

Excellent!
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion