O/T Olympics opening ceremony

O/T Olympics opening ceremony

Postby Christies Child » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:12 pm

What ever our thoughts are about China and its human rights issues, you can't help but be astonished and mesmorised by the absolute brilliant opening ceremony to the games.

I just hope that we can emulate the experience when it comes to London.

A hard act to follow without doubt.....but should we even try?
Last edited by Christies Child on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Olympics opening ceremony

Postby slackAlice » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:27 pm

I hav'nt seen it yet , but I listened to a commentary by George Galloway on radio 2 and he made it sound absolutely spectacular.
So good ...it has actually made me want to see it. He missed his way that fella ... for all his highly controversial opinions me thinks he's a pretty clever man.
slackAlice

Postby Aal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 pm

I agree that the ceremony was absolutely stunning, with the highlight being a fantastic performance from Sarah Brightman and an incredible lighting of the torch at the end.

What exactly is the human rights problem with China. I hear about Tibet etc but are they any worse than Mugabe in Zimbabwe?!
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:39 pm

watched some of it on TV today great if London 2012 is anything like that we are in for a treat
heysham_mfc

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14 pm

but are they any worse than Mugabe in Zimbabwe?!

I'm not sure you have to be as bad as Mugabe to be classed as appalling :evil:

I do think they will move in the right direction but they will probably do so because it is seen as being useful for them to do so in economic terms rather because it's the right thing to do.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Aspers » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:41 am

I thought the ceremony was technically excellent but oh my goodness it was BORING.

Not enough excitement,
Aspers

Postby footballfan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:38 am

Aal wrote:I agree that the ceremony was absolutely stunning, with the highlight being a fantastic performance from Sarah Brightman and an incredible lighting of the torch at the end.

What exactly is the human rights problem with China. I hear about Tibet etc but are they any worse than Mugabe in Zimbabwe?!

Whilst my ship was on a goodwill visit to Shanghi in 98 a local was found swapping yen for dollars on the street (illegal) but this woman had a family to feed and had to provide. She was arrested and thrown in jail, a day later a judge decided that it was a bit harsh and ordered her release. She had already been executed by the police! Not an isolted incident at the time we were led to believe.
footballfan

Return to General Discussion