Last Chance Saloon

Last Chance Saloon

Postby Ned » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:22 pm

I don’t agree that players can be faulted for lack of effort but agree that you can question whether their effort is at an acceptable limit for this level. One thing our contracted players are well aware of is that for the overwhelming majority of them this will be their last club and last chance to remain in the football league. Individuals know their current limitations and are realistic enough to realise that they are unlikely to be on any league club’s wanted list and as such their future career path is non league along with the reduced income and possibly part time. This in itself is motivation and incentive enough for the players to give 100% effort. Even the manager when referring to the qualities of the team continually associates them as `battlers’ rather than skilful or creative.
Apart from those supporters who are in denial everyone else accepts that we are in a relegation dog fight which up to now has not shown any signs of improving despite naïve manager self preservation speak. We have all got to deal with it but it is concerning that of all the teams currently involved in the mini relegation league we are the worst placed. Whilst Darlington, Grimsby, Torquay and Lincoln are currently signing or trying to sign loan players to improve their position we are unable to for well documented reasons and must sink or swim with what we have. If Grimsby beat Stanley on Friday then I would advise supporters with high blood pressure to stay away from Christie Park on Saturday afternoon.
Ned

Re: Last Chance Saloon

Postby ezz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 pm

How are we worst placed, there are 2-3 teams below us, and darlo have no money to sign players. We'll be fine Neddy boy just chill with the still
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Welcome back Simply Ned.

Your comments about players POSSIBLY being at their final 'port of call' in terms of league football should in my eyes be more then enough for them to play to their full potential.

May I suggest that the same applies to our current Management team?

It's a result driven business and unless results change over the coming weeks then changes will have to be made. The prospect of being in a relegation dog fight is just totally unacceptable; there's too much at stake to even contemplate such a happening.

I can't for a single minute believe that the Board would fail to take corrective action if such a scenario existed well into the New Year.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Christies Child wrote:Welcome back Simply Ned.

Your comments about players POSSIBLY being at their final 'port of call' in terms of league football should in my eyes be more then enough for them to play to their full potential.

May I suggest that the same applies to our current Management team?

It's a result driven business and unless results change over the coming weeks then changes will have to be made. The prospect of being in a relegation dog fight is just totally unacceptable; there's too much at stake to even contemplate such a happening.

I can't for a single minute believe that the Board would fail to take corrective action if such a scenario existed well into the New Year.

perhaps, but sammy and mark's achievements in the game outnumber those of quite a few of the replacements being mooted by some on the board.

Additionally, the pressures of needing to stay on the league with a new stadium only increases the risks at stake should the board be contemplating a management change. For every managerial change that's worked for a club, there has been as many that haven't, and the queue of people who would suddenly have voted to keep sammy will grow if any change didn't have the desired effect.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:27 pm

It's today and tomorrow that counts.

I'm afraid yesterday and past achievments count for very little...especially in the world of FOOTBALL. We've only got to look at the list of successful managers who sooner or later get the dreaded P45.

I'm not advocating that the club rush into deciding what action (if any) to take. But even the most loyal of Sammy Mc supporters must realise that IF results don't improve then the sterling work done by the Board under the excellent Chairmanship of Peter McG in getting us into the league will have been for nothing IF relegation is the ultimate outcome of all the time, effort and money spent in achieving what only a decade ago was only a dream.

Changed SOCCER to read FOOTBALL to appease the offended! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Christies Child on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:40 am

Christies Child wrote:It's today and tomorrow that counts.

I'm afraid yesterday and past achievments count for very little...especially in the world of soccer. We've only got to look at the list of successful managers who sooner or later get the dreaded P45.

I'm not advocating that the club rush into deciding what action (if any) to take. But even the most loyal of Sammy Mc supporters must realise that IF results don't improve then the sterling work done by the Board under the excellent Chairmanship of Peter McG in getting us into the league will have been for nothing IF relegation is the ultimate outcome of all the time, effort and money spent in achieving what only a decade ago was only a dream.

some of the names mentioned have achieved nothing PERIOD.

Your comments about relegation are valid, but the point I'm making is that any possible relacement will not come with a magic wand guaranteeing safety, which is what several advocates of the sacking of sammy seem to believe. It could easily turn to shit if sammy goes, same as we could go shooting up the table. It's a massive massive gamble.
campdave

Postby wonder shrimp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:05 am

Christies Child wrote:.especially in the world of soccer.

wtf is 'soccer'?
wonder shrimp

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 am

wonder shrimp wrote:wtf is 'soccer'?

A shortening of the term Association Football with an 'er' added, that dates back to Oxford University in the early 1900's, so it is one of the oldest English words for the game. Rugby Football was similarly shortened to Rugger "we'll have a game of rugger" or "we'll have a game of soccer"...

Charles Wreford Brown is widely credited with introducing the term. He went on to be the captain of England twice. He sat on the FA Council, becoming vice-president under Sir Stanley Rous and was Chairman of the International Selection Committee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Wreford_Brown

So TTF is 'soccer' for anyone who thought it was an Americanism* :lol:

*I hate the term, it's such an Americanism! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby wonder shrimp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:57 am

the origin doesn't really matter (plenty of words have suprising origins), in current usage i would suggest that in the UK 'soccer' is almost never used to describe football. in fact i can't think of a single example.

CC should know better, or is he suggesting that MFC moves over to the MLS? The Morecambe Bay Buccaneers? :lol:
wonder shrimp

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 am

wonder shrimp wrote:in current usage i would suggest that in the UK 'soccer' is almost never used to describe football. in fact i can't think of a single example.

There is a show on Sky called Soccer AM that you may have heard of? :roll:

And you might enjoy this clip of funny moments from a show called Soccer Saturday... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEDbJd1dCmA
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:34 am

wonder shrimp wrote:the origin doesn't really matter (plenty of words have suprising origins), in current usage i would suggest that in the UK 'soccer' is almost never used to describe football. in fact i can't think of a single example.

CC should know better, or is he suggesting that MFC moves over to the MLS? The Morecambe Bay Buccaneers? :lol:

Just for you I've changed SOCCER to FOOTBALL..... ;)
Christies Child

Postby NeilG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:33 am

CC should know better but has nothing between his Buccaneers ;)
NeilG

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:37 pm

NeilG wrote:CC should know better but has nothing between his Buccaneers ;)

PMSL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not fair...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...but funny!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:47 pm

Keith wrote:
NeilG wrote:CC should know better but has nothing between his Buccaneers ;)

PMSL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not fair...

...but funny!

...hate to admit it.....but very true! :o :o :o
Christies Child

Postby darrenlock » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Me i think if Morecambe fail to beat Lincoin then bye sammy i know injuries injuries.
But in every home match except Notts of course Morecambe do panic with defensive mistakes.
Hi im new anyway i have strong views personally i dont understand why adams is given so many games he looked awful vs screwsbury
Anyway im going 2-1 Morecambe on saturday gary hunter to score winner
darrenlock

Postby George Dawes » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi im new anyway i have strong views personally i dont understand why adams is given so many games he looked awful vs screwsbury

every manager as one :lol:
George Dawes

Postby campdave » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:57 am

Gotta give Ned some credit for motivating the players :lol:
campdave

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:57 am

campdave wrote:Gotta give Ned some credit for motivating the players :lol:

Yeah the Saloon was sure rocking on Tuesday! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1