No positives

Re: No positives

Postby super-red » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 am

I can not believe that I am reading so many people wanting Sammy out - lets not forget that he has got us where we are and that we have finished respectable for the last two years - lets be realistic - we are not going to get promoted after the start we have had, but did anyone really expect us to get promoted this season.

Consolidation has always been the target and as long as we are still in the league we will push on in a new stadium.

Instead of booing why are we not promoting the team and supporting them - as other posts have said we have played some good opposition and the fact that we remain vastly unbeaten this season has to be seen as a positive.
super-red

Postby Martin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:30 pm

super-red wrote:I can not believe that I am reading so many people wanting Sammy out - lets not forget that he has got us where we are and that we have finished respectable for the last two years - lets be realistic - we are not going to get promoted after the start we have had, but did anyone really expect us to get promoted this season.

To be fair I don't think the issue is the disappointment of not getting promoted, but more a case of genuine worry that we just might get relegated
Martin

Postby Posh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:57 pm

super-red wrote:I can not believe that I am reading so many people wanting Sammy out - lets not forget that he has got us where we are and that we have finished respectable for the last two years - lets be realistic - we are not going to get promoted after the start we have had, but did anyone really expect us to get promoted this season.

Consolidation has always been the target and as long as we are still in the league we will push on in a new stadium.

Instead of booing why are we not promoting the team and supporting them - as other posts have said we have played some good opposition and the fact that we remain vastly unbeaten this season has to be seen as a positive.

I agree with a lot of what you say and I've seen enough in some games to believe we're certainly not going down. However I do disagree with one word in particular and that's consolidation. Under Sammy's tenure we've had wholesale changes to the side over the last two summers plus a few more when things haven't worked out. While we have had a similar league position and might achieve it this season (please!), the last thing I see us doing is consolidating.

Next season it is quite probable that we will have, for various different reasons (end of contract, out of favour, loans end and an inability to get players to sign new contracts etc.), no Barry Roche, Stanners, Danny Adams, Dave Artell, Manny Panther, Stewart Drummond, Phil Jevons, Ian Craney, Twissy, Wayne Curtis, Andy Parrish and possibly even Jim Bentley. As a result we're going to have yet another expensive rebuild, which if anything like this season and last under Sammy will be fraught with difficulties and take at least two months to bed in. Add to that a youth system that is faltering and a lack of investment in young players, for reasons (problems?) that lie with the manager, and consolidation seems very much the wrong word.

Sammy took us to the Promised Land and I'm incredibly grateful. I also believe he'll get us out of this mess. However, in my view, to have a long-term future he's got to address some fundamental problems such as those above. The Chairman's goal and one he's determined to achieve is League 1 status. As it stands, and even with the infrastructure at the new ground, Sammy simply isn't capable of getting us there without significant improvements in his management style. In my view its not the current run that will do for him in the end but, as with Jim Harvey, the realisation that he's probably taken us as far as he can.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby NeilG » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:10 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:All of them are a step up from last years , i personally wish we had kept o carroll he , with jevons would have been a handfull and got 15 goals each imo, we have a good squad and will not go down!!!

All the new lads look good

DawZi wrote:oh and id go as far as saying already this is the best Morecambe team we've ever had!.

Well, well, look what I found posted a couple of months ago LMAO :lol: :lol:
NeilG

Postby ezz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:11 pm

It's funny how people change when the going gets tough! :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Posh wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you say and I've seen enough in some games to believe we're certainly not going down. However I do disagree with one word in particular and that's consolidation. Under Sammy's tenure we've had wholesale changes to the side over the last two summers plus a few more when things haven't worked out. While we have had a similar league position and might achieve it this season (please!), the last thing I see us doing is consolidating.

Next season it is quite probable that we will have, for various different reasons (end of contract, out of favour, loans end and an inability to get players to sign new contracts etc.), no Barry Roche, Stanners, Danny Adams, Dave Artell, Manny Panther, Stewart Drummond, Phil Jevons, Ian Craney, Twissy, Wayne Curtis, Andy Parrish and possibly even Jim Bentley. As a result we're going to have yet another expensive rebuild, which if anything like this season and last under Sammy will be fraught with difficulties and take at least two months to bed in. Add to that a youth system that is faltering and a lack of investment in young players, for reasons (problems?) that lie with the manager, and consolidation seems very much the wrong word.

Sammy took us to the Promised Land and I'm incredibly grateful. I also believe he'll get us out of this mess. However, in my view, to have a long-term future he's got to address some fundamental problems such as those above. The Chairman's goal and one he's determined to achieve is League 1 status. As it stands, and even with the infrastructure at the new ground, Sammy simply isn't capable of getting us there without significant improvements in his management style. In my view its not the current run that will do for him in the end but, as with Jim Harvey, the realisation that he's probably taken us as far as he can.

Sammy & Mark both signed contract extensions in November last year when we had 13 points from 15 games. We had lost 6 and not won away from home, goal difference -9, scored 16 goals.

This season we currently have 12 points from 14 games, have scored 19 goals and have the same goal difference.

if we win on Saturday that will be an improvement from last season.

Our League position was joint second from bottom without the points deductions!!

Thing is, will the management be offered extensions this time round? :roll:

Answers on a messageboard please :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Richard Head » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Who do the genius's who want Sammy out want to replace him with, some out of work manager drawing jobseekers allowance because he didnt do much of a job at his previous club or someone who is already in a job. We have got to be realistic and see that with our current league position and low gates we are hardly an attractive proposition for anyone who is currently at a league club so that leaves us with a conference manager at best.

Is there anyone at that level that you would rather have than Sammy, who won us promotion and consolidated our position in the league with 2 mid table finishes
Richard Head

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Richard Head wrote:Who do the genius's who want Sammy out want to replace him with, some out of work manager drawing jobseekers allowance because he didnt do much of a job at his previous club or someone who is already in a job. We have got to be realistic and see that with our current league position and low gates we are hardly an attractive proposition for anyone who is currently at a league club so that leaves us with a conference manager at best.

Is there anyone at that level that you would rather have than Sammy, who won us promotion and consolidated our position in the league with 2 mid table finishes

there are some very good managers out of work that could do a good job at Morecambe but we should give Sammy a chance to turn things around (well at least the next 3 games anyway)
heysham_mfc

Postby Richard Head » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:25 pm

But there is a reason they are out of work and that is because they have made an arse of it at there previous club
Richard Head

Postby George Dawes » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:39 pm

NeilG wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:All of them are a step up from last years , i personally wish we had kept o carroll he , with jevons would have been a handfull and got 15 goals each imo, we have a good squad and will not go down!!!

All the new lads look good

DawZi wrote:oh and id go as far as saying already this is the best Morecambe team we've ever had!.

Well, well, look what I found posted a couple of months ago LMAO :lol: :lol:

i absolutely, still stand by that, it's who assembles them tactically then drops players who perfom then sticks by players who dont :roll:
George Dawes

Postby Posh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Richard Head wrote:But there is a reason they are out of work and that is because they have made an arse of it at there previous club

It is a pointless argument because Sammy is the manager and, in my view, he'll be given as long as possible to take us forward. A side with both Manny Panther and Will Haining in my view should be a minimum of top half and they will surely return at some point.

Having said that I'd hate to be in the position of finding a new manager. There are loads of managers currently out of a job who you would say perhaps unfairly (and I'm not saying ANY of these for this club), e.g. Gareth Southgate (auto promotion spot); Ian McPartland (playoff place when sacked); and Mick Wadsworth (turning Chester City around and brought in good players). Plus plenty at a lower level to us who've been spotted and made a difference such as Paul Tisdale (brought in from Team Bath and got Exeter back-to-back promotions); Mark Stimson (got Gillingham promotion despite a relegation after huge success at Grays and Stevenage); and Keith Hill (went to Rochdale after us with no managerial experience and now improving the club year-on-year). So it isn't that hard to find talented managers.

Yet its just as easy to bring in someone who you think you could rely on with experience or potential who lets you down big time - John Barnes, Lee Sinnott, Andy Mutch - its a long list.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Posh wrote:
Richard Head wrote:But there is a reason they are out of work and that is because they have made an arse of it at there previous club

It is a pointless argument because Sammy is the manager and, in my view, he'll be given as long as possible to take us forward. A side with both Manny Panther and Will Haining in my view should be a minimum of top half and they will surely return at some point.

Having said that I'd hate to be in the position of finding a new manager. There are loads of managers currently out of a job who you would say perhaps unfairly (and I'm not saying ANY of these for this club), e.g. Gareth Southgate (auto promotion spot); Ian McPartland (playoff place when sacked); and Mick Wadsworth (turning Chester City around and brought in good players). Plus plenty at a lower level to us who've been spotted and made a difference such as Paul Tisdale (brought in from Team Bath and got Exeter back-to-back promotions); Mark Stimson (got Gillingham promotion despite a relegation after huge success at Grays and Stevenage); and Keith Hill (went to Rochdale after us with no managerial experience and now improving the club year-on-year). So it isn't that hard to find talented managers.

Yet its just as easy to bring in someone who you think you could rely on with experience or potential who lets you down big time - John Barnes, Lee Sinnott, Andy Mutch - its a long list.

It's just possible that those two could be the catalysts needed to spark a much needed revival.

WH in particular will give us that stability and coolness required in the centre of defence. Their is talk of him being available in a few weeks. Let's hope so.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Curly » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:43 pm

ockers wrote:
Stanley Bowles wrote:Jj was in there ,but before i could ask him if i could be his agent he dropped his shoulder and lost me in the fresh veg isle :lol:

thats the funniest thing ive read on here in months

brilliant stanley!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i feel a player having worked in retail/shops thread quiz coming on

garry hunter home bargains
jj asda
nasher maccy dees
thommo jjb sports

any more???

Carl Baker - the William Mitchell

Ok, he never worked there, but his propping skills prevented the bar from falling down :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Previous

Return to General Discussion