Bye bye Mr McIlroy

Re: Bye bye Mr McIlroy

Postby Pandashrimp » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Sammy is currently the 11th longest serving manager in the FL. Fergie, Wenger and Coleman are the top three. Only one manager above him has survived a relegation, (Tilson at Southend), i believe after all he has achieved and done for the club, we owe Sammy a little more time, however Lincoln could be make or break.

Another thing i always find strange are clubs timings of sackings. You would expect them to come on a monday morning, however many are left till late in the week. Recent examples are Barnes and Southgate after a win the night before. Southgate's dismissal was even more puzzling as it was decided he would be given the chop a few days before the game he won. Whole different reasoning to us mind you. If the board do act, i suggest they do so in due course and let the team recover for a crucial game saturday.
Incidentley who would take over on a temporary basis? I would imagne Lilis would leave with SM...so Steve Mclhargey??
Pandashrimp

Postby marky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:53 am

I believe Dickie Danson has done the caretaker thing before now...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby cyranodm » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:14 am

Surerly not Mr Danson his Youth team's results make the First team look good.
How about Mr Udall?
Hang on Iv'e just realised the Reserves results are the worst of the lot!
Now who is it that again who manages Morecambe Ladies they got promoted last year and are now top of their new league may be they have someone who can help?
cyranodm

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:54 am

Pandashrimp wrote:Sammy is currently the 11th longest serving manager in the FL. Fergie, Wenger and Coleman are the top three. Only one manager above him has survived a relegation, (Tilson at Southend), i believe after all he has achieved and done for the club, we owe Sammy a little more time, however Lincoln could be make or break.

Another thing i always find strange are clubs timings of sackings. You would expect them to come on a monday morning, however many are left till late in the week. Recent examples are Barnes and Southgate after a win the night before. Southgate's dismissal was even more puzzling as it was decided he would be given the chop a few days before the game he won. Whole different reasoning to us mind you. If the board do act, i suggest they do so in due course and let the team recover for a crucial game saturday.
Incidentley who would take over on a temporary basis? I would imagne Lilis would leave with SM...so Steve Mclhargey??

didnt the Scunthorpe manager survive a relegation and then took them back up ?
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:58 am

anyone who has read our Chairman's notes in the programme yesterday will know there is NOT going to be a change of manager:-

"I am confident that under the leadership of Sammy and Mark we will start converting draws into victories and thereby make our move up the league table"
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:34 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:anyone who has read our Chairman's notes in the programme yesterday will know there is NOT going to be a change of manager:-

"I am confident that under the leadership of Sammy and Mark we will start converting draws into victories and thereby make our move up the league table"

We will see if he is saying the same in 4 games time ;)
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:13 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:anyone who has read our Chairman's notes in the programme yesterday will know there is NOT going to be a change of manager:-

yes but if we don;t start winning soon he may be rethinking he comments
heysham_mfc

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:25 am

heysham_mfc wrote:

Well the Chairman has consistently pumped in around £200,000 per year in share purchases so his decision will certainly count more than some of the fair weather fans. My guess is he will make sure if Sammy needs any more players to avoid relegation that he will sanction them.
The man we are really missing is Manny Panther who had really tightened things up at the back.
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am

It's funny that there are still some people taking Mcilroy's side. Someone else said it, i think it was Cass, that there are alot of regular posters not saying a thing in this thread. That speaks volumes IMO. It may be that they just haven't been on here yet, but i couldn't wait to get on and voice my opinion.

In a way it's a good job i haven't as i have had time to calm down. His team selections are baffling, Danny Adams smashes his car and still gets in the side, Henry Mcstay arguably our best defender (if you count Wilson as a midfielder) can't get a look in. His substitutions? Was Wilson injured or did he just bring him off, he was our best player on the pitch. Twiss left out, fair enough he brought Stanley on with a minute to go?

But we can put all the blame on Sammy as we like, the players have to take some responsibility, only Wilson, Hunter and Stanley looked bothered, most are happy to pick up their pay cheque, i don't think they realise the money we pay every single week to watch utter s*** like that every single week.

I will stick by Morecambe FC forever as i have for the past 14 years, but that for me yesterday has to be the end for Mr Mcilroy i'm afraid.

P.s i would like to know Mark's, Keith's, Shrimper's opinion etc.
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:42 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:

Well the Chairman has consistently pumped in around £200,000 per year in share purchases so his decision will certainly count more than some of the fair weather fans. My guess is he will make sure if Sammy needs any more players to avoid relegation that he will sanction them.The man we are really missing is Manny Panther who had really tightened things up at the back.

....that's assuming that Peter Mc is prepared to continue to back both club and manager.

Considering what Peter has already done for our club, isn't it expecting too much of him to be the guy who has to continue to fund the club with so very little in return?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 am

Christies Child wrote:
Well the Chairman has consistently pumped in around £200,000 per year in share purchases so his decision will certainly count more than some of the fair weather fans. My guess is he will make sure if Sammy needs any more players to avoid relegation that he will sanction them.The man we are really missing is Manny Panther who had really tightened things up at the back.

....that's assuming that Peter Mc is prepared to continue to back both club and manager.

Considering what Peter has already done for our club, isn't it expecting too much of him to be the guy who has to continue to fund the club with so very little in return?[/quote]

It's not just him funding the club CC, the directors also have to pay a substantial amount of money to become a member of the board every year. Sammy may not have had alot of money to play around with, but he has certainly had alot to play with in regards to the wage budget, look at the size of this squad, our wage budget must be the biggest it has ever been.
Sammy h

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:55 am

Yes I think we have Bench & PMG to thank for us been able to have a larger budget and wage bill this season.

P/T Indie

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:01 am

Well the Chairman has consistently pumped in around £200,000 per year in share purchases so his decision will certainly count more than some of the fair weather fans. My guess is he will make sure if Sammy needs any more players to avoid relegation that he will sanction them.The man we are really missing is Manny Panther who had really tightened things up at the back.[/quote]

Considering what Peter has already done for our club, isn't it expecting too much of him to be the guy who has to continue to fund the club with so very little in return?[/quote]

I am sure that rather than see the project go belly up in the final season before we move to a new stadium that reduces the need for big cash injections that Peter will sanction a couple of signings that would put the heart and soul back in the club and see us climb the league and out of trouble.

To name a couple of sigings that could help to galvanise the supporters and the team and who may be available - Dave Perkins and Garry Thompson.
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ezz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:05 am

Here's a worthwhile question:

If Notts County (4th in the league, deep pockets for money) are struggling to find a manager......how would we find a manager if Sammy was sacked? Not just any manager, someone who is good enough to change things...
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:10 am

Colin Hendry lives in lytham, not working at the moment, may have one or two contacts :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:12 am

ezz wrote:Here's a worthwhile question:

If Notts County (4th in the league, deep pockets for money) are struggling to find a manager......how would we find a manager if Sammy was sacked? Not just any manager, someone who is good enough to change things...

I think Notts County's problem isn't down to the lack of applicants but due to the level of Manager that they want (Championship). We however would be a lot more realistic.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:13 am

hNotts County would have had loads of applicants but Sven prob has never heard of anyone outside the Premier League and they are probably looking at different people to us.

Morecambe are a well run club with a good reputation and wih new facilities for next season would be seen as a good job.

There would be a queue down Lancaster rd for the job and we would probably supprised by the names of some of the people in that queue.

The same conversation was had when JH took ill/left and there were a number of names in the frame then and that was when we were non league.

P/T Indie

Postby Posh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:13 am

cyranodm wrote:Surerly not Mr Danson his Youth team's results make the First team look good.
How about Mr Udall?
Now who is it that again who manages Morecambe Ladies they got promoted last year and are now top of their new league may be they have someone who can help?

I've read some shit in my time on this messageboard but this takes the trophy.

The Reserves under Jeff Udall won eight consecutive Lancashire Combination titles and several doubles. In his first season in the Football League we finished in the highest ever position for a newly promoted side and became the first ever promoted team to reach the Reserves Cup Final knocking out teams well above us.

Under Dickie Danson and Jeff Udal we've had brought through some of the greatest young players ever to play for this club - Thommo, Drummy, Perks, Wayne, Garry Hunter and loads of others still playing up abd down the country.

There are reasons for this season and that's for others to explain.

You're not good enough to lick their boots. Shame on you!
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ezz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:17 am

P/T Indie wrote:hNotts County would have had loads of applicants but Sven prob has never heard of anyone outside the Premier League and they are probably looking at different people to us.

Morecambe are a well run club with a good reputation and wih new facilities for next season would be seen as a good job.

There would be a queue down Lancaster rd for the job and we would probably supprised by the names of some of the people in that queue.

The same conversation was had when JH took ill/left and there were a number of names in the frame then and that was when we were non league.

A queue down Lancaster Road?? Yes your right as half the fans on here think they can do a better job!!! :lol:
Surpised by the names in that cue, can't say I know who would apply for the job but I wouldn't expect many surprises
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Posh wrote:
cyranodm wrote:Surerly not Mr Danson his Youth team's results make the First team look good.
How about Mr Udall?

I've read some shit in my time on this messageboard but this takes the trophy.

The Reserves under Jeff Udall won eight consecutive Lancashire Combination titles and several doubles. In his first season in the Football League we finished in the highest ever position for a newly promoted side and became the first ever promoted team to reach the Reserves Cup Final knocking out teams well above us.

Under Dickie Danson and Jeff Udal we've had brought through some of the greatest young players ever to play for this club - Thommo, Drummy, Perks, Wayne, Garry Hunter and loads of others still playing up abd down the country.

There are reasons for this season and that's for others to explain.

You're not good enough to lick their boots. Shame on you!

Posh, it shocks me that you are one of the more prolific posters on the board, yet you are a little withdrawn from the main "jist" of this thread?

I would like to know your opinion on the "Sammy saga"?
Sammy h

Postby Posh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Sammy h wrote:Posh, it shocks me that you are one of the more prolific posters on the board, yet you are a little withdrawn from the main "jist" of this thread?

I would like to know your opinion on the "Sammy saga"?

Sorry I'm not going to give one. I've made my opinions pretty well known on the manager in the past and have been entirely consistent ever since. I've seen nothing to change my mind.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Sammy h wrote:P.s i would like to know Mark's, Keith's, Shrimper's opinion etc.

Well my opinion is as previously documented. On Sunday October 11th I wrote:

Keith wrote:
parceldave wrote:Where do you think we are going to get a couple wins all of a sudden, when we have only won 1 game out of 12.

1. Bournmouth
2. Dag & Red
3. Rotherham
4. Rochdale
5. Notts County
6. Aldershot
7. Barnet
8. Shrewsbury
9. Chesterfield
10 Burton Albion
11 Bradford
12 Bury
13 Accrington
14 Port Vale
15 Crewe
16 Lincoln
17 Cheltenham
18 Macclesfield
19 Northampton
20 Hereford
21 Morecambe
22 Grimsby
23 Torquay
24 Darlington

"Where do you think we are going to get a couple wins all of a sudden?" Well, to try and reinforce the point, I've highlighted our first dozen games and our next half dozen. Now I'm expecting us to start winning games soon. Four wins and two draws from the next six? Not unreasonable to expect. If we fall much short of that target I'll begin to share your pessimism, but as it stands, I still think we've had an incredibly tough run in which we've been very unlucky not to pick up more points. If we don't get more than a couple of wins from those six, then we've got problems.

Then on Saturday October 17th I wrote:

Keith wrote:No pressure next Saturday then?

Oh okay, LOADS OF PRESSURE! The games against Northampton & Lincoln really are suddenly massive games for us. Pretty much anything other than six points will lead to the nerves really setting in. Psychologically it must be getting tougher for everyone, including fans (perhaps ESPECIALLY the fans!) Sounds like today was another game that we'll say we should have won but yet again we didn't and but for a fantastic save at the end, we could have lost. Northampton won today against fellow strugglers Lincoln... the second of the teams we need to beat?

Win them both and we can really kick on.
Lose to either and we'll really be in a relegation dog fight.
A couple of draws and then what? A long tough season?

Hopefully we'll perform well again and really hammer someone soon... Northampton hopefully!

If we were the decent team I thought we were, then I didn't think it unreasonable to expect us to win four and draw two of the six matches from Torquay onwards.

So far we've drawn one and lost one.

I said that if we lost at home to either of the 'fellow struggling' teams, (being Northampton or Lincoln), then I thought we would be in a relegation battle.

Yesterday we were very poor. Jevons looked exhausted after just over an hour but there was no 'plan B' in his position. When they were over running us at the start of the second half, there was no 'plan B' there either. And once we'd inevitably fallen behind, there was still no real change.

I have excused us playing well and being unlucky and I also said:

Keith wrote: ...that we need a bit of good luck and that over the season, that balances itself out, although I do believe that sometime you make your own good and bad luck, so I'm hoping that we haven't become entrenched in a psychology of drawing. Are we relegation material? No, I don't think we are. Can we still make the play offs? Possibly but they are getting further and further away. Worried? No, not yet. Managerial changes? Definately not helpful at this point.

Yesterday, when we were awarded a penalty for a dive, I thought that perhaps that was where some of the luck was going to change and that we'd perhaps rob Northampton (as we've previously been robbed ourselves). Not that I like to see any players diving, including our own. But even when we get that bit of luck, we still couldn't build upon it.

Yesterday we were very poor against a very poor team. Until a couple of games ago I still thought we were going to finish close to, or in the play offs. Now? I'll be happy to start picking up points against fellow relegation contenders and think about anything better than that later on.

Change of manager? Not quite. I really don't think we can rely on having such a fantastic post Christmas run this season as we had last, so we need to be picking up points before the end of the year.

Our next four games are now crucial. All four are against fellow strugglers so my opinion is:

* If we lose two or more, of the four, then definitely change the management before it is irreparable damage.
* Win three or more and we can all relax and begin to enjoy the rest of the season.
* Anything less than seven points from four will be very worrying.

And if we play as badly as we did yesterday in the second half again... well...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby PottedShrimp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:17 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:
Posh wrote:Be fair to the man.

This time last season

Played 14 Wins 1 Points 10 Position 23rd*

This season

Played 14 Wins 1 Points 12 Position 21st

We're on the up!!!

*Removing points discounts for Luton, Bournemouth and Rotherham

Worth seeing this to remind us what a poor start we had last season. We need to get better fast. We were shocking at the back yesterday. I see few signs that SM recognises how bad we were or the need to make some changes and make them fast. We lack backbone - you just knew what was coming after they scored in the second half and we lack invention and communication upfront. I fear it's going to be a long hard season and that the era that could come to an end if we're not careful is our stay in the Football League. I shall be there next Saturday, but we need to state home truths as well as cheer on the team. A proper friend tells his mates where they're going wrong. Loyal supporters need to do the same
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:37 pm

For me Sammy should go if we lose to Lincoln, i have always back the manager through thick and thin and believe this season for us is to much to go on a whim that sammy might savage the season

WE DESERVE BETTER.

Some say christmas some say till the end of the season, i say you lose on Sat then you must go.
I personally hope he proves all of us wrong.
thegentlegiant

Postby Stanley Bowles » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Stick with sammy he will turn it round, No to Coleman please.
The dead don't have a choice - we do!
Stanley Bowles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion