O/T Classic Legends Of Rock at the Dome

O/T Classic Legends Of Rock at the Dome

Postby NeilG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

Not wanting to invite further political debate about the fate of the Dome but I do think it's a bit unfair that Lancaster City Council do not promote the gigs a bit further in advance.
I understand that this event is at risk due to poor advanced ticket sales and that would be a real shame. I haven't seen this one in the local press yet and i've been looking believe me. I understand this is not everyones cup of tea but at least if you know that these excellent bands are scheduled to play in the town you can decide if you want to go or not. Please spread the word. Cheers

Classic Legends of Rock '09, Focus, Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, Acoustic Strawbs tickets - The Dome - Morecambe - Lancashire
http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/event/245 ... _2009.html

Classic Legends of Rock '09,Focus,Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash,Acoustic Strawbs at The Dome - Morecambe - Lancashire 4th November 2009. Find out about more information about this gig, including the venue address, contact info, map, pricing and buy concert tickets.
NeilG

Re: O/T Classic Legends Of Rock at the Dome

Postby CASS » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:11 pm

NeilG wrote:I do think it's a bit unfair that Lancaster City Council do not promote the gigs a bit further in advance.

I guess you are right,My Daughter and her friends have been to the Dome a few times,Thanks to links and info posted on here mainly by Shrimper.. South Lakes is in a bit of a cultural void,Southlakeland council have a great facillity but hardly ever use it.The Brewery arts centre is just that, promoting an eclectic mix and sometimes they have turns on that people have heard of.There are Plenty of chances to see local bands in the pubs,and there are some good ones "Tin Pan Ally" "Dangerous Bros etc" but no Big or Biggish names ever cross the line in to the South Lakes. If LCC cast their net a bit wider perhaps shutting the Dome would be unthinkable.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:24 pm

I couldn't agree more Neil I have often mentioned the lack of marketing from the council.

There are some good things on at the Dome & Platform but no one knows about them.

The only reason I know about up coming events is because I am on the mailing list and get the booklet sent to me every few months. If you have never been to an event you wont receive this so wouldn't have a clue. This means they are only advertising to people who already attend events instead of new people.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:35 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I couldn't agree more Neil I have often mentioned the lack of marketing from the council.

There are some good things on at the Dome & Platform but no one knows about them.

The only reason I know about up coming events is because I am on the mailing list and get the booklet sent to me every few months. If you have never been to an event you wont receive this so wouldn't have a clue. This means they are only advertising to people who already attend events instead of new people.

Feel free to plug them in an 'O/T' message on here, every little bit helps.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby campdave » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Agreed - only way I seem to find out what is going on locally is to search seetickets every couple of weeks.
campdave

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Keith

Here's one for you Marcus Brigstock is coming back in December. I went to see him a year or so ago at the Platform and he was very good and I know your a big fan.

P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 pm

I only found out about Spencer Davies at the Platform thanks to Radio Lancashire doing an interview.

Somewhat blinkered approach by LCC.

Deliberate policy or what?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:56 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Keith

Here's one for you Marcus Brigstock is coming back in December. I went to see him a year or so ago at the Platform and he was very good and I know your a big fan.

When is he coming? Just in case it clashes with an interesting football match... err, work meeting :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby campdave » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 am

Christies Child wrote:I only found out about Spencer Davies at the Platform thanks to Radio Lancashire doing an interview.

Somewhat blinkered approach by LCC.

Deliberate policy or what?

Blinkered or inept?
campdave

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:21 am

Keith your in luck Fri 11/12/09 and we play Bournemouth at home the next day.

P/T Indie

Postby Lloydie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:32 am

P/T Indie wrote:Keith your in luck Fri 11/12/09 and we play Bournemouth at home the next day.

If you ring up can you book me 3 tickets plus any you want :D
Lloydie

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 am

There used to be advert boards for events at the Dome located on the lamposts in the Library Car Park, and also they were placed on lamposts right the way down Caton Road too.

Prominent signs too.

Strangely, they disappeared ..... another council ploy.

Bring them back !!!!!!!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby CASS » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 pm

CASS wrote:
NeilG wrote:I do think it's a bit unfair that Lancaster City Council do not promote the gigs a bit further in advance.

I guess you are right,My Daughter and her friends have been to the Dome a few times,Thanks to links and info posted on here mainly by Shrimper.. South Lakes is in a bit of a cultural void,Southlakeland council have a great facillity but hardly ever use it.The Brewery arts centre is just that, promoting an eclectic mix and sometimes they have turns on that people have heard of.There are Plenty of chances to see local bands in the pubs,and there are some good ones "Tin Pan Ally" "Dangerous Bros etc" but no Big or Biggish names ever cross the line in to the South Lakes. If LCC cast their net a bit wider perhaps shutting the Dome would be unthinkable.

So today I had a look to see if my statement was correct,Result ! well a bit of a mixed bag.
Kendal leisure Centre Presents .
http://www.ents24.com/web/event/1761710 ... corah.html
Next gig is a Medium from Liverpool..Well this XL from down the road is not that impressed.
Next up the Brewery arts centre,Like I said an eclectic mix and maybe I was a bit quick with my critique..

http://www.breweryarts.co.uk/artform.cfm?id=4
But of course the Brewery is untainted by a local Council which unfortunatly South Lakes Leisure centre and The Dome are.
Just a footnote SL Leisure centre holds about 400 /500 Do they really think that they will fill it when this Medium is on,Or maybe they will get in touch and ask him how many seats to put out ! :?
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Keith your in luck Fri 11/12/09 and we play Bournemouth at home the next day.

On that Friday there is a Xmas Glam Rock stlyle do at the Dome, with Slade , Mud and T#Rex :o .. 8-)

http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/platformanddome#dome
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Glam Rock AND Marcus Brigstock??? Surely too much on one night!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Bryan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi Neil,
went to see Walter Trout at the Dome last night. Brilliant stuff with about three or four hundred in. One of the best gigs i've seen there. Noticed some leaflets advertising legends of rock in the bogs of all places. Must admit that until i saw those i hadn't a clue about it. Looks a good show and Tony McPhee of the legendary Groundhogs is also something to do with it.

Hopefully the show will go ahead. Oh and Walter Trout said on more than one occasion what a superb venue The Dome really is. And he's been about a bit! The LCC are bloody clueless. THe Dome is sopmething this town needs to protect for as long as possible.
Bryan

Postby NeilG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:37 pm

I went to the Guild Hall in Preston to see this show last night, venue too big with only about 300 people in. The Dome is the perfect venue for 300+ so really hope the show goes ahead.
Didn't see the Strawbs acoustic set but an 'in the know' friend told me that they make a good sound ( 3 acoustic gtrs and vocal harmony) Martin turners Wishbone Ash did the whole 'Argus' album which is one of my all time fav's, excellent twin lead guitar breaks.
Focus were just Focus, brilliant musicianship (amazing guitarist) a mix of soft rock, classical and Jazz, humour and flute, well worth a listen.

Francis Dunnery is at the Brewery 27th October, I know that's only in a couple of weeks but I got my tickets two months ago, this gig has been well advertised since July, that's plenty of time to ask the Mrs or your mates if they want to go, arrange a meal, a baby sitter, book your taxi or accommodation etc etc. I appreciate sometimes you have to look for yourself to find 'what's on' but agree with seasider 9601, there really should be advertising boards for events at the Dome all the way down Hest Bank end of the Promenade and the length of Caton Road like there used to be, at least while they are booking events there anyway. I reckon they're just running it into the ground now to make absolutely sure it gets closed, doesn't really bother me, like I said, i'm not trying to stir a debate that's already been done to death on here, I will travel anywhere to hear the kind of live music that I like, shame LCC doesn't have the same inclination to attract music fans in to our town.
NeilG

Postby NeilG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Bryan wrote:Hi Neil,
went to see Walter Trout at the Dome last night. Brilliant stuff with about three or four hundred in. One of the best gigs i've seen there. Noticed some leaflets advertising legends of rock in the bogs of all places. Must admit that until i saw those i hadn't a clue about it. Looks a good show and Tony McPhee of the legendary Groundhogs is also something to do with it.

Hopefully the show will go ahead. Oh and Walter Trout said on more than one occasion what a superb venue The Dome really is. And he's been about a bit! The LCC are bloody clueless. THe Dome is sopmething this town needs to protect for as long as possible.

There you go Bryan, perfect example, firstly I had absolutely no idea that Walter Trout was playing at the Dome last night, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to the Preston gig :o What I do know though is that Walter Trouts agency (Rhino) pulled the last scheduled gig at the Dome a couple of years ago due to lack of advanced ticket sales, so the LCC clowns have been at it some time.
Delighted the gig was a success, and that there was advertising around for the classic legends gig albeit in the tool shed :) Great memories of the Joe Banamassa gig at the Dome, like you said it's a superb place with 3/400 bodies in when the right bands are billed !!!!

Sadly Tony McPhee has just suffered a stroke, hence the introduction of the Strawbs.
NeilG

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:08 am

Francis Dunnery is at the Brewery 27th October, I know that's only in a couple of weeks but I got my tickets two months ago, this gig has been well advertised since July, that's plenty of time to ask the Mrs or your mates if they want to go, arrange a meal, a baby sitter, book your taxi or accommodation etc etc.

Is that right Neil ??!!! The legend that is FD appearing in Kendal ???

Had no idea about that !!! I'm a massive fan of Frank's solo work and was (and still am) a big It Bites fan !!!

Going to have to investigate this !!!!
Seasider9601

Postby NeilG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:34 am

Seasider9601 wrote:Francis Dunnery is at the Brewery 27th October, I know that's only in a couple of weeks but I got my tickets two months ago, this gig has been well advertised since July, that's plenty of time to ask the Mrs or your mates if they want to go, arrange a meal, a baby sitter, book your taxi or accommodation etc etc.

Is that right Neil ??!!! The legend that is FD appearing in Kendal ???

Had no idea about that !!! I'm a massive fan of Frank's solo work and was (and still am) a big It Bites fan !!!

Going to have to investigate this !!!!

Yep, Tuesday 27th playing new arrangements of some of the old It Bites tunes with a brand new band from the US so should be great. http://www.francisdunnery.com/main.html

I went to one of his solo acoustic house concerts last year and was lucky enough to get a good talk with him , really friendly, honest and open man, Gulley Flats Boys has become one of my all time favourite albums :-)

Hope you get a ticket ok but there are a couple of shows in Manchester as well I think if you don't have any joy.
NeilG

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:39 am

Thanks for the info Neil ! Much appreciated indeed.

Going to get tickets today hopefully for myself and my son.

Hope to see you there. Will wear my Morecambe shirt to the gig if I get tkts !!
Seasider9601

Postby NeilG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:51 am

Seasider9601 wrote:Thanks for the info Neil ! Much appreciated indeed.

Going to get tickets today hopefully for myself and my son.

Hope to see you there. Will wear my Morecambe shirt to the gig if I get tkts !!

Ok, I'll come and say hello.

FD likes his football too and has a great sense of humour (if not a little surreal at times)

Have a look at this and the series of other short films he made in Scandanavia on one of his house tours, just a warning that there is some bad language but far from offensive in my opinion.

Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zczVmyTbJ1A
NeilG

Postby Bryan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Sad to hear about Tony Mcphee. Had no idea.
Bryan

Postby Arnside Red » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 pm

11th November at Bootleggers Kendal
GRETCHEN PETERS

leading Nashville female songwriter, brilliant live
Arnside Red

Postby NeilG » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:10 am

Bryan wrote:Sad to hear about Tony Mcphee. Had no idea.

Bryan

Just had an email from Joanna Deacon who said "Tony is recovering well after his stroke, and is writing a new album which he hopes to release when he is ready.... looking to gig again in 2010"

http://www.thegroundhogs.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/tonymcpheethegroundhogs
NeilG

Next

Return to General Discussion