Sammy Mac

Re: Sammy Mac

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Does anyone seriously think that players of the calibre of Ian Craney , Phil Jevons , Barry Roche, Manny Panther etc etc would sign for Morecambe without the attraction of playing for a top manager like Sammy Mac.

The snipers should put away their guns and get behind the team and roar us on to 6 points against The Cobblers and Lincoln.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 pm

NeilG wrote:

I wouldn't suggest otherwise. But at what point does that earned 'loyalty and respect' have run its course?

I'm most certainly not suggesting that it's time. Far from it. But there might well come a time when the most diehard of Sammy fans begin to ask questions as by very nature of the profession usually happens.

Sammy will go down in our clubs history and quite rightly so. But as he has said on numerous occassions...'he's responsible for results and therefore the buck stops with him'.

Where I come from "but" statements like these are what's commonly known as shit stirring :lol:

Take another holiday CC ffs :roll:

...BUT if I take another holiday, I'd miss the winning streak that is just about to start and will see Sammy MoM for November.

:) :) :)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:06 pm

CC you do not seem to know if you need a sh-t or a shave :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby alwaysright » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 am

mrpotatohead, it seems to me that your a very opinionated person, look forward to reading your further really interesting posts when you get home from school ???????????
alwaysright

Postby shrimper » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:09 am

I can't believe that any other manager could bring many (if any) better players to our club. All managers will bring in some who won't work out - but by and large we have really good, quality players at the moment.
We have had a couple of key injruies but have still maintained a good shape and have generally played very well.
I can't believe that anyone could have got this good set of players playing any better than they did at Torquay.

From back to front they were excellent. Wilson was great, Artell solid, Smith assured, Drummy and Craney excellent in the middle and Jevons and Mullin combined well up front.
There were a couple of shots off target but the rest were either blocked by stretching defenders or parried by a keeper who had a good day.

Team selection was pretty good on the day - no-one complained at the start, as far as I could see and Duffy had an excellent first half.

We created loads of chances.

Their pen had even their fans totally bemused - several approached us at the end to ask if we had any idea what it weas for. They didn't know and no-one they'd spoken to did.

Their second came after a foul on Danny Adams wasn't given (good goal in the end but....).

I know it's all about results and points on the board but I can't see how anyone could A) get us better players or B) have us playing better than we are - which is very well.

I honsetly think we are a good side and that we will put a run together soon. And that's not some vain, rose-tinted, hope - it is based on the evidence of my eyes over the past few weeks.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby campdave » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:18 am

I was away most of the weekend, but a lot of the posts since Saturday have amused me.

Particularly transfers - Sammy was always criticsed for signing experienced players, then last summer, he signed players like Carr, McCann and Parrish who were unproven at this level, but had decent reputations - then people argued he should sign experienced players at this level.

Sammy's done that this season, after a summer in which we tried to sign Michael Gash and that Northern Irish chap (both of which were criticised on here). Now we've signed experienced players, people are arguing again we should be trying out unproven players at this level.

Make up your minds folks!

When struggling, I think there's always a "grass is greener" mentality amongst some fans - the players that should be picked are the ones on the bench, the best signing was the one that didn't come off etc.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:55 am

mrpotatohead wrote:CC you do not seem to know if you need a sh-t or a shave :?:

:? :? :?

This must rank as one of the most confusing posts ever!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Christies Child wrote:I look at what Daggers have achieved

The Daggers are doing well be have achieved nothing so far. The smaller clubs in and around London are always at an advantage as they can snap-up rejects for their many bigger neighbours or get some decent loan deals in.

A good debate but a few misconceptions. Firstly, the above. The Daggers haven't snapped up any rejects. Every player bar one has come from a non-league club, the vast majority from below the Conference. The only one that was is Will Antwi from Wycombe and he was on loan at Northwich Victoria. Proof that players will travel. They also have no players on loan.

The point CC is trying to make is that Daggers are making a concerted effort to invest in talented youngsters (over 20 of them) from the lower leagues and its working. When it works, as it clearly is, then you have a much lower wage bill and the potential to sell players on, as we saw with Carl Baker, Danny Carlton, John Hardiker etc. What it needs is a manager with the commitment to go scouting as much as possible as is the case with John Still.

We've decided as a club to go down the route of investing in proven players (for the most part) and loanees, which are easier to get. By their very nature they cost more in wages and signing on fees, hence why our wage bill is much higher than that of a lot of League 2 clubs.

Bradford have had some joy with players signed this summer from Bamber Bridge, Guiseley and Cambridge City. Peterborough are in the Championship in part because of players like Aaron McLean, George Boyd and Craig Mackail-Smith. I suppose you've got to choose what you spend your money on.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ezz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 pm

It's a no win situation, as said by campdave in another thread when things go wrong people always say we should have gone the other way. Sammy has done both so far and people once again change their minds. Baker was a great buy, made us a tidy profit and gave us plenty of goals, I also think Duffy is worth his money so far but dout he'll be sold for more than we got him for. This season we'v bolstered our squad with proven experience and we've looked good but results havn't gone our way yet. Maybe a 50/50 mix of experience and youth is needed :lol: :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Posh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:45 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:one on the 2 main reasons that we can't attract players to Morecambe is location

I think this is another great misconception, particularly now we're in the Football League. Any non-league player wanting to get ahead in the professional game will make the effort to relocate. Yet its also true with the majority of league players. If you're signed on a free you could pick up say £15,000 signing on fee and then £1,500 a week or close to £90,000 in one year at the top end or say £60,000 at the bottom end. Most players worth their salt would relocate here for that kind of money and we've seen that a lot have (except when there is competition for their signature and offers are similar).
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ezz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Posh wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:one on the 2 main reasons that we can't attract players to Morecambe is location

I think this is another great misconception, particularly now we're in the Football League. Any non-league player wanting to get ahead in the professional game will make the effort to relocate. Yet its also true with the majority of league players. If you're signed on a free you could pick up say £15,000 signing on fee and then £1,500 a week or close to £90,000 in one year at the top end or say £60,000 at the bottom end. Most players worth their salt would relocate here for that kind of money and we've seen that a lot have (except when there is competition for their signature and offers are similar).

Another point that may work in our favour for posh's point is that the North West is one of the cheapest places to live in England. As the North will always be......
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:14 pm

shrimper wrote:Their pen had even their fans totally bemused - several approached us at the end to ask if we had any idea what it weas for. They didn't know and no-one they'd spoken to did.

I looked forward for 2 days to get to watch the highlights on TV and even they were bemused :evil:

One of the loudest cheers of the day was for the Ref when we actually got a decision.

shrimper wrote:Their second came after a foul on Danny Adams wasn't given (good goal in the end but....).

To leave D.A. on the floor in a heap like that must have been a foul! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Previous

Return to General Discussion