Sammy ~ "My Results Are'nt Good Enough"

Sammy ~ "My Results Are'nt Good Enough"

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:47 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 308889.stm

As much as a manager picks the team etc. I can never see why it is "his" fault when players waste golden opportunities and keep missing the target a la Aldershot!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Sammy ~ "My Results Are'nt Good Enough"

Postby George Dawes » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:57 pm

ok we've had a lot of bad luck this season, but we still have players to do better and SM subtitutions puzzle me, and playing 5 defenders is asking for DRAWS

am affraid the buck stops with manager
George Dawes

Postby campdave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:00 pm

DawZi wrote:and playing 5 defenders is asking for DRAWS

Playing 4 defenders at the start of the season was working a real treat.
campdave

Postby George Dawes » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:01 pm

campdave wrote:
DawZi wrote:and playing 5 defenders is asking for DRAWS

Playing 4 defenders at the start of the season was working a real treat.

huh? that was pre-season and minus -Bentley
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Do we have a better attacking left-sided midfielder than Wilson?
Do we have a better attacking right-sided midfielder than Hunter?

Personally, I don't think so.

I don't see our formation as at all negative. They just need to get back to playing well and taking the chances they are creating.

We don't have five defenders, we have three. We then have three central midfielders, two attacking wingbacks and two strikers.

The wingbacks are crucial - when we're in possession they are attackers, when we're not they drop back and help the defence.

Either way it lets you have three in central midfield with one 'sitting' and one 'pushing on'. I like it as a system unless and until we get a really quick and skilful out-and-out winger which, currently, we don't really have.

If we did I'd be happy to go 4-4-2 again.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Wainwright could the Right Wing back position to offer us a bit more going forward.

Although I do like GH there and think he has done well but maybe Wainwright could just offer that final ball.

We have Duffy that could play on the wing.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:20 pm

absolutely yes, Wainwright, who's played wing-back a hell of a lot more than Hunter and Duffy both can run with the ball and take players on
George Dawes

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:21 pm

shrimper wrote:Do we have a better attacking left-sided midfielder than Wilson?

(a) Those 2 created so many chances for the forwards in the 1st half on Saturday it was great to watch.
(b)Just a pity about the finishing :(

More of point (a) on Saturday please

Improve point (b) and we've cracked it. :D

Duffs looks good but can't seem to beat the man at the moment 8-)
marky No.1

Postby Dazzer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:29 pm

DawZi wrote:playing 5 defenders is asking for DRAWS

I agree with Shrimper, I've looked at the formation closely the last couple of games I've seen and I would say it's definately more of a 3-5-2 than a 5-3-2.

Thing is with wing backs is it's very adaptable, it can very quickly becomeone or the other.
Dazzer

Postby shrimper » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:50 pm

DawZi wrote:

absolutely yes, Wainwright, who's played wing-back a hell of a lot more than Hunter and Duffy both can run with the ball and take players on

Okay - look, the point I was making was that neither Hunter nor Wilson are merely 'defenders' in the system we play. We can argue about which player is the best as right wingback but NONE of them are defenders, which was my point. They are all attacking midfielders.

For what it's worth I've said previously that I'd bring Wainwright back (maybe even using Hunter pushed inside).

I don't agree about Duffy - he's not a wingback for me (doesn't tackle well enough and positionally he's not the best). His most effective position is currently occupied by Craney so he's best used off the bench IMO.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Old Man Kensey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:10 pm

He's right the results aren't good enough. Must only be 5 or 6 wins in the last 30 or so league games!
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:28 pm

marky No.1 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/morecambe/8308889.stm

As much as a manager picks the team etc. I can never see why it is "his" fault when players waste golden opportunities and keep missing the target a la Aldershot!

reading that it sounds like he doesnt think he will get much more time to turn things around
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:He's right the results aren't good enough. Must only be 5 or 6 wins in the last 30 or so league games!

League results:

DLLLWDDDDLDLLDWLDDLWDWLLWLDWDWDWWDWDWDLDWWWLDL

DLLDDDDWDDDL :geek:

I make it 9 out of last 30, 13/40
marky No.1

Postby Old Man Kensey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:50 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
Old Man Kensey wrote:He's right the results aren't good enough. Must only be 5 or 6 wins in the last 30 or so league games!

League results:

DLLLWDDDDLDLLDWLDDLWDWLLWLDWDWDWWDWDWDLDWWWLDL

DLLDDDDWDDDL :geek:

I make it 9 out of last 30, 13/40

Take your word for it, as I can't be bothered checking. Still not a great return, lots of D's in that run of games.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby ezz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 pm

D's are better than L's
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Red Army » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:04 pm

:D John Coleman - Morecambe manager by xmas 2009
Red Army

Postby Curly » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Red Army wrote::D John Coleman - Morecambe manager by xmas 2009

I'm happy enough with SMc....
But if he did get replaced,
Coleys the man 8-)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Christies Child » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:14 am

IF and it's a very big IF the Board decided that Sammy and Mark needed to be replaced to guarantee FL survival for next season, then Coley would for obvious reasons come into the equation. But for me it will not come to that and if it did, then we can do better than Coley who has had defensive problems of his own, albeit he does play attacking football.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:38 am

I'm happy with Sam. I think he'll get it right ...AGAIN and, therefore, I don't want to talk about replacements as I think it's disrespectful and Sammy deserves respect.

Others will have a different view but that's mine.
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:47 am

shrimper wrote:I'm happy with Sam. I think he'll get it right ...AGAIN and, therefore, I don't want to talk about replacements as I think it's disrespectful and Sammy deserves respect.

Others will have a different view but that's mine.

I am with you on this. Im sure Sammy will get things right sooner rather than later.

I wonder if we have the right sort of pre season friendlies. Playing teams like Burnley Huddersfield etc are not good for morale when the team gets a lesson. I would prefer more friendlies against league 1 teams at home and Conference sides away in pre season.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Martin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:18 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I wonder if we have the right sort of pre season friendlies. Playing teams like Burnley Huddersfield etc are not good for morale when the team gets a lesson. I would prefer more friendlies against league 1 teams at home and Conference sides away in pre season.

Huddersfield are a League 1 team and we didn't beat Conference opposition (Barrow) at home..... Oh dear! ;) :lol:
Martin

Postby George Dawes » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:09 pm

I wonder if we have the right sort of pre season friendlies. Playing teams like Burnley Huddersfield etc are not good for morale when the team gets a lesson. I would prefer more friendlies against league 1 teams at home and Conference sides away in pre season.

a lot to be said about that, that's what ive been thinking for a while now, but then again if we hadn't played Huddersfield we wouldn't have got Jevons & Craney
George Dawes

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:52 pm

DawZi wrote:

a lot to be said about that, that's what ive been thinking for a while now, but then again if we hadn't played Huddersfield we wouldn't have got Jevons & Craney

how do you know that? that clubs might have not even taken into account the pre season fixture and we had been looking at Cranley for a few years
heysham_mfc

Postby steve mfc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:26 pm

The buck does stop with Sammy, but there are many reasons for our current lowly league position.

The squad wasn't assembled quickly enough, which meant we started the season without really knowing which was our best starting eleven or formation, it takes time for players to gel and that was all to obvious in the first few games. Not that i would blame anyone for that, if you don't get your first or even second choice targets then this is always likely to happen.

Tactics, substitutions, well i cant say i always agree with Sammy's decisions then again i didn't when Harvey was manager and it would be the same no matter who was in charge.
You only have to look at the different team selections and formations that we the fans put on this forum to understand that you cant please everyone. Lets face it no one really question his decision making when things are going well.

Is the squad good enough, well the common consensus on this forum was that we would be at least mid table possibly pushing for the playoffs so if Sammy has got it wrong then so did most of the rest of us.

Some players haven't played to the best of their ability, but its not for the want of trying, but apart from a couple of games we have played well, but bad defending and more lately not taking our chances have cost us several points.

As far as luck is concerned i would say it has evened its self out regarding the games we have played, but we have been unlucky the way the fixtures have come out. John Coleman has done well at Accy but if you look at the games they have played this season compared to ours then its not hard to work out who has had the harder start to the season.

Lets not forget the injuries to players as well, so i don't think its fair to put all the blame on Sammy, unfortunately fair or not the buck does stop with the manager.
steve mfc

Return to General Discussion