O/T - Light and Water Festival

O/T - Light and Water Festival

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:27 pm

My next project, I love this town and will do everything I can do to help get it back to the good old days.

Facebook Group - Bring Back Light and Water Festival
thegentlegiant

Re: O/T - Light and Water Festival

Postby Mark S » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:32 pm

AKA as chavvy drunk yobs weekend.

I was very happy to lose that one.

Waste of money. Doesnt bring anyone into town, just the town turns out for a firework show.

The last time we went with the family, I saw a running battle across the prom between two groups of teenagers and later saw one teen finish a bottle of cider only to throw it in the air as high and far as he could and it hit a mother of two childern. Disgraceful and shameful.

BTW are fireworks environmently friendly?

Thats the next thing as well. 'Trick or Treat' American tribute night followed by spend your benefit money on fireworks night (sorry not night, fortnight :x )

:roll:

We wonder why this country is in trouble.
Mark S

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Water and fight

oh what a blight

a waste of our money

a total bag of :?: :?: :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby George Dawes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Womad and the Punk festival was a loss, it did bring people to the town
George Dawes

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:20 pm

I thought the punks stopped coming because our council never backed them, the punk festival boosted the local economy big time, with no trouble :!:
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrpotatohead

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:29 pm

Cheers for the support lads!!
thegentlegiant

Postby Suzi Quatro » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Morecambe has nothing at all to offer the alternative crowd. We should try a Goth festival in the town but sadly Morecambe is full of bigots and deat beats, I would not want to insult my friends by inviting them here.
I am persitentyl the victim of bigoted comments and hate crime, the police do nothing at all.

We maybe need a Festival of Love Music -Hate Racism-that would go down like a led bloon from the point of view of the local Council unless the money made went into the Winter Gardens.
Suzi Quatro

Postby George Dawes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:58 pm

and walk round naked with flowers in our hair, free love n all that :P
George Dawes

Postby Mark S » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:01 pm

thegentlegiant wrote:Cheers for the support lads!!

Sorry Sam , but you cant expect everyone to fall into line because you have a cause that you want to promote.

Possibly over the next couple of days there will be some support for you, we will see.

You cant get upset because we dont follow you blindly without opinion. You might be surprised how many feel the same way. If that is the case, I would rethink before wasting your time.

If you passionately believe it would be a good thing, good luck. But as they say on Dragon's Den, I'm out.
Mark S

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 pm

what we need in Morecambe is a festival that will attract loacals and people from outside the area alike something for everyone
heysham_mfc

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Which is an accurate description of the festival being discussed, which was blighted on an annual basis by our local drunken thugs :roll:
mrpotatohead

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:51 pm

Poll, please aswer honestly as this will decide the fate of the event!

http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/2107218/
thegentlegiant

Postby parceldave » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:53 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Which is an accurate description of the festival being discussed, which was blighted on an annual basis by our local drunken thugs :roll:

So are you saying we shouldn't have any sort of festivity in case some drunken thug wants to spoil it, how the hell do other towns , cities and villages manage . Have we not got a Police Force in this town , im sure there are more than a few drunks at Glastonbury, Reading or Leeds who attact a far bigger crowd than would assemble here. Maybe we should have a morning festival then the buggers will be either on their way home or in bed. ;)
parceldave

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Not saying that at all, as stated in my comments, the punk festival, womad, and the jazz festival seemed to work fine, the festival of light and water however descended into an annual scarey event for alot of families etc.

Given the current economy, this is a redundant idea anyway as public spending cuts will mean funding will not be available, and it looks like the postmen are not helping things regarding the economy are they :?: :?:
mrpotatohead

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:28 am

The Light and Water Festival only took place because a certain "Caravan Dealer/ Park Owner" had money to burn :lol: He ploughed loads into it, not to mention time and effort, to establish his name in the area and once he'd done that he moved on to sunnier climbs :lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Duffman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:34 am

I personally have great memories of the water and light festival. I always heard about the "yobs" but never saw anything myself. I'd like to see it return but obviously if the kids can't behave it has to go. There's nothing in Morecambe any more, at least something like this would give the people of Morecambe something to look forward to and talk about.
Duffman

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Me to it was a great event I never saw any problems and the Prom used to be packed.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm

That other resort a bit further down the coast have a very successful World Fireworks Championship every year and more recently have introduced Sand Volleyball into its seasonal programme.

Maybe if we had a more commercially aware town council who realised the importance of tourism then the town would once again prosper.

As an additional piece of info, the very same council have rejected calls for a Warning Siren to be installed in the Silverdale shore area to warn peole of the impending killer tides.

It wouldn't suprise me if a fatality follows in the near future due to the councils stupidity. Maybe that's what it will take for the council to see sence. :( :( :(
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:29 pm

Christies Child wrote:
As an additional piece of info, the very same council have rejected calls for a Warning Siren to be installed in the Silverdale shore area to warn peole of the impending killer tides.

It wouldn't suprise me if a fatality follows in the near future due to the councils stupidity. Maybe that's what it will take for the council to see sence. :( :( :(

In an ideal world, where money was no object, I'm sure they would have installed one. Without knowing why they turned it down, or if they had other financial commitments, it seems a bit glib to call the council stupid.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:06 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

In an ideal world, where money was no object, I'm sure they would have installed one. Without knowing why they turned it down, or if they had other financial commitments, it seems a bit glib to call the council stupid.

I must be slipping Dave, it's taken nearly a week since my return for you to comment on one of my posts! I must try harder.... :lol:

Seriously, the reason given by a LCC official was 'to provide such a warning device could actually have the opposite effect to its intention in that people rely on one too heavily and potentially assume that because they have not heard a siren it is safe'

Appeals by locals for a siren came in a week when four people and a horse were rescued from quicksands in the area.

Local Coastguard Nigel Capstick said that Silverdale was particularly dangerous because the tide swept in at varying times each day reaching speeds of up to 10 knots which is almost as fast as the bore. 'If you were on a sandbank you wouldn't stand a chance to get away'.

With the areas population almost doubling in the summer, the vast majority of incomers are unaware of the danger.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Seriously, the reason given by a LCC official was 'to provide such a warning device could actually have the opposite effect to its intention in that people rely on one too heavily and potentially assume that because they have not heard a siren it is safe'

CC, what do you want me to do? Should I just stop posting when I disagree with one of your comments, because you like to highlight it everytime that I do. People on here disagree with me all the time, I don't feel the need to point it out everytime they do.

If you'd posted that, instead of simply calling the council stupid, I probably wouldn't have replied in the first place. Not being able to read minds is a major fault of mine I'm afraid.
campdave

Postby Posh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Sorry Sam but I totally agree with Mark. In the last two years of it I had the following: A bloke in a Celtic shirt drinking lager (you wouldn't want to argue with) where every second word was c*** or f*** when surrounded by families and a lot of children; kids near The Midland ripping out plants and hurling them at people; bottles being thrown and several fights. It pulled in very few outsiders but a whole ton of trouble, which is the problem with night time events where families get back home say to Wigan gone 11pm.

What Morecambe needs is family-orientated daytime events and, sorry, but the Light and Water Festival isn't one of them.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Posh wrote:Sorry Sam but I totally agree with Mark. In the last two years of it I had the following: A bloke in a Celtic shirt drinking lager (you wouldn't want to argue with) where every second word was c*** or f*** when surrounded by families and a lot of children; kids near The Midland ripping out plants and hurling them at people; bottles being thrown and several fights. It pulled in very few outsiders but a whole ton of trouble, which is the problem with night time events where families get back home say to Wigan gone 11pm.

What Morecambe needs is family-orientated daytime events and, sorry, but the Light and Water Festival isn't one of them.

never seen any of those thing happening sure you are allways going to get a bit of trouble even if you hold an event at lunch time there are still going to be people about just looking for a bit of trouble
heysham_mfc

Postby parceldave » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:45 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Not saying that at all, as stated in my comments, the punk festival, womad, and the jazz festival seemed to work fine, the festival of light and water however descended into an annual scarey event for alot of families etc.

Given the current economy, this is a redundant idea anyway as public spending cuts will mean funding will not be available, and it looks like the postmen are not helping things regarding the economy are they :?: :?:

As far as im aware the union are having a meeting with the Management later this week to try and avoid the strike action which i hope they do . As not being a postman myself but an employee of a company who sub-cotract to Parcelforce and who have had their rate cut several times already this year, a strike would only make matters worse ,especially for me as i wouldn't be able to do my bit for the Ecconomy. ;)
parceldave

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:07 am

was not a personal dig Dave, soz :!:
mrpotatohead

Next

Return to General Discussion