Pubs in Aldershot

Pubs in Aldershot

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:00 pm

Was doing my homework for Saturday and stumbled across this review:

"It's a Yates, you know what to expect I hear you say!? I pretty much expected a skanky weatherspoons like type bar but nothing, and i do mean NOTHING could prepare me for the vision that was bestowed upon me just recently!

It probably wasn't so much the venue but more the clientele that manifested inside! What the **** happened in Aldershot... I have never seen so many rejects in all my life! I'm no L.A. wannabe, but i could have been Paris Hilton in there! In fact **** it! I could have been the Queen in comparison!

Every single sole in the place was on the verge of being clinically obese and looking like they'd done a stint in a young offenders or army prison! It was like a pub that belonged in Benidorm, frequented by the same lost people that lived for the same experience weekend after weekend. People that refuse to accept change and are happy living each weekend as if it were groundhog day! I was truley scared to be left on my own! Oversized girls who were bulging out of every button, zip and popper, winding and grinding up against some ex army divorcee with tattoos on his neck and down his back, generally being so vulgar i could have thrown up in my own cup and drank it and no1 would have batted an eyelid! The bouncer couldn't pack enough sterroids into his daily routine - he virtually had to walk side ways to get through doors and looked like his arms were permanently stuck in the same 90 degree angle!

I can't even begin to tell you about VOX...the only club across the road, but you can obviously imagine! The only 2 times i put my drink down, it was nearly mine sweeped by some fat fingers belonging to some lardy girl wearing white, patent stillettos and some naff, bright pink, low cut top with a pair of spaniels ears bulging out over the top, wanting to follow the force of gravity against all their owners defiance! I have no idea what i was doing there, and i'm still investigating whether i may have been abducted - all i know is that i am scarred. Chavtastic does not even remotely describe it!

I'm a wreck! NEVER AGAIN!!! I'd rather stick pins in my eyes and holiday in Margate!"

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... /Aldershot

Can't wait! :lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Pubs in Aldershot

Postby BLS BOY » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:13 pm

And for those, like me who found it funny and wanted alternatives: -

Away fans are treated to their own bar underneath the South Stand called 'Walley's Bar' (I am sure this was not meant to be an insult to away fans!). Otherwise the ground is located only five minutes walk away from Aldershot Town Centre where there are plenty of pubs to be found. 'The Beehive' & 'Crimea' are the closest pubs to the ground. Otherwise you may want to try the CAMRA listed Royal Staff pub on Mount Pleasant Road. Although located on top of a hill, it does look down onto the football ground and serves a good pint of Fullers Pride. Families are also welcome.
"the opposition are only as good as you make them"
BLS BOY

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:43 pm

The Golden Lion is favourite on the High Street :geek:
marky No.1

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:15 pm

marky No.1 wrote:The Golden Lion is favourite on the High Street :geek:

Staying away is definately the favourite Mark. ;)
morecambe mick

Postby sgt major » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:40 pm

Ahhh...... Aldershot - the "Home of the British Army" - Once the domain of the Paras now populated by mental footie fans (That rarely venture this far North unlike their genuine decent fans). Yes Mick - definitely keeping away from this one and I actually have a leave pass to go for the day :shock:
sgt major

Postby ATFCFAN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi all, i wouln`t take much notice of that review, Saturday afternoon is a lot different to Saturday nights, that said it is best to stay outside the town centre. If your looking for real ales try the Red Lion on the high street, or the Royal staff which is near the away end, The Golden lion high street is ok, your find friendly home fans in all these, then there's the La Fontaine right next to the away end and the crimea opposite the front of the ground, both ok, avoid The Beehive on the high street. hope you enjoy your day, see you Saturday
ATFCFAN

Postby George Dawes » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:13 pm

not been there since i was a kid, i use to stay at my uncles a ex para who lived there on a massive army housing estate

and it was grim as fook :lol:
George Dawes

Postby NeilG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:38 pm

We did the Crimea last time and no doubt will try it again on Saturday, good beer, friendly locals and polite staff, what more can a thirsty traveller ask for :) Staying over in a little village called Crondall between Farnham and the M3
NeilG

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 pm

NeilG wrote:We did the Crimea last time and no doubt will try it again on Saturday, good beer, friendly locals and polite staff, what more can a thirsty traveller ask for :)

all of those and only a short walk to the game, I'd head there too if I was going again! Did I mention... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Keith wrote:
all of those and only a short walk to the game, I'd head there too if I was going again! Did I mention... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really do get on my tits mentioning all the time about the two away games you went to last season, drop it :!:
Last edited by morecambe mick on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
morecambe mick

Postby NeilG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 pm

How very dare you quote me, I did at least three last season :)
NeilG

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 am

NeilG wrote:How very dare you quote me, I did at least three last season :)

HUH :?: ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:38 am

morecambe mick wrote:
Keith wrote:

You really do get on my tits mentioning all the time about the two away games you went to last season, drop it :!:

I'm very sorry Mick, I'll be sure to ask you what I can write about in future.

What can I write about in future?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:51 am

ATFCFAN wrote:Hi all, i wouln`t take much notice of that review, Saturday afternoon is a lot different to Saturday nights, that said it is best to stay outside the town centre. If your looking for real ales try the Red Lion on the high street, or the Royal staff which is near the away end, The Golden lion high street is ok, your find friendly home fans in all these, then there's the La Fontaine right next to the away end and the crimea opposite the front of the ground, both ok, avoid The Beehive on the high street. hope you enjoy your day, see you Saturday

Thanks for that we got stung in the Beehive once so will take your advice. We shall be spending the evening in Guildford. Which establishment will be showing the England game please?
;)
marky No.1

Postby bigreddog » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 pm

My Brother lives in Guildford and may be down there myself.

From a pub point of view, the old classics have all gone now. But I've drunk in the Crimea since 1988 and it hasn't changed, always a warm welcome and cold beer. Friendly locals and there are normally door staff on a saturday to stop any troublemakers.

Happy Memories, alas the "Rat Pit" (imfamous Para pub) has gone now.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Return to General Discussion