Commentary team

Re: Commentary team

Postby philbigmfcfan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:41 pm

god your all at each others throats !! were all ment to be morecambe fans !! were not ment to fight !!
im with sean !!
it wasnt his fault and as for you keith whats with the attitude. you were making out that it was sean's fault and that it happenes most games. i have listened to it every match apart from shrews game and it has worked fine !!!

sean well done and keep up the good work
philbigmfcfan

Postby fletch_al » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:02 pm

this is all getting a bit heated. its no ones fault but the companys it seems so to place blame on anyone at the club is unfair.

i do agree that there should perhaps been a short statement on the offical site to inform everyone of the problem and another later on when it was fixed as it was left to people on the forum to tell others. this is hopefully taken as constructive critism and taken into account if it happens again.

it is very unfortunate that this problem occured during the promotional free trail and it may put people off but theres still 2 games left to show new subscribers that it is worth getting. i certainly enjoyed the last free trial and thats why ive signed up this year.
fletch_al

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:21 pm

philbigmfcfan wrote:and as for you keith whats with the attitude. you were making out that it was sean's fault and that it happenes most games.

Keith wrote:
ockers wrote:Rather than make remarks like this Keith it would be better if you can contact us here directly so we can deal with the issue. just in case it does happen again but hopefully not

To be fair Sean, I sent a PM on Tuesday with regards to the problems then but the PM didn't get picked up until after the match. As previously mentioned, I don't use I.M. or Twitter, so not much else I can do.

Also, I wasn't having a dig at anyone personally but at the end of the day, as a paying customer, it isn't unreasonable for me, to 'give feedback' or express frustration. I'm sure they won't have any problem with taking my direct debits?

Really Phil? The only time Sean has been mentioned in any of my posts is the one above where I was answering Sean! Also, I actually said I wasn't "having a dig at anyone personally". I didn't suggest that it "happens most games", however, I did make it clear that this was the second home game on the trot that it has happened. If it is acceptable to you to pay for something, then if you don't receive it, you should be happy and tell everyone it is fantastic, then I'm happy for you. For me, if I pay for something and don't get it, I expect better. It has been made clear in this thread, by Quinny initially, that it wasn't the fault of the guys in the box, and I thanked him for doing so.

Anyway Phil, if you'd care to pay me to not give you commentary on matches, I'll be happy to take your money.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:16 pm

philbigmfcfan wrote:it wasnt his fault and as for you keith whats with the attitude. you were making out that it was sean's fault and that it happenes most games. i have listened to it every match apart from shrews game and it has worked fine !!!

Keith's done nothing wrong. He's a subscriber, his service wasn't working properly and he raised his concerns. Quite rightly. He certainly didn't make it personal and I don't think he's at fault in any way. Someone else did and that's why Mark S and I commented.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Farnsfield Shrimp » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:44 pm

I am sure Sean and Derek will get it sorted out this week and I for one look forward to listening to the commentaries in the future. Lets remember how much time Sean puts into the club through his commentaries and the programme. The club needs people such as Sean and his growing band of co commentators and they provide an excellent service to the many exiles who cant attend as many matches as they would like! Keep up the good work!
Farnsfield Shrimp

Postby campdave » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Posh wrote:
Inevitably more could be done to improve Morecambe Player yet its a chicken and egg situation. To pay its way it needs at least 120 subscribers but to get to that point it needs the content to justify people buying it. So in the short-term it requires volunteers such as Sean, Lance, Freez and others to contribute their time to make podcasts, videos, do interviews to get it to a stage where it can standalone. Yet despite several requests from me no one has come forward to help on the official site or Player.

I've no idea what arrangement the club has with people who provide these services on a voluntary basis, and that's between the club and those people - but if the club were to offer some incentives (Morecambe shirt, some free tickets, free sub to Morecambe player), perhaps that would entice some people to help?

I wasn't aware people were needed to help out, perhaps I've missed the request on the forum. I don't have oodles of free time, but if there's something helpful I can do in what time I have, I could possibly lend a hand - feel free to PM me any details.
campdave

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Agree with both Posh and Mark entirely.

Some people love the opportunity to jump down other's throats, and they should know better. I find this particularly surprising from you Gansher, as I thought that a reason why we are on our 1 millionth version of SV is because you suffered some personal abuse which lead to your affiliation with the forum ending. At the time, it came across as though you were not prepared to take a personal attack resulting from something that entailed giving up a large chunk of your own time for no financial reward. Greenhouse, stones? Clearly Player not functioning properly is not Ockers fault, though as explained I'm sure that he is doing everything possible to resolve this issue despite the fact that this will involve yet more of his own personal unpaid time to achieve. I can understand some disappointment, but not how your sarcastic reply helps matters.

Yes, the quirky methods used to inform World customers (mainly through SV) may not seem ideal and I'm sure they've been taken onboard. Picking up on one commenty, player functions are not the only ones to use SV to inform or direct people elsewhere. The club now post article on here from the official site, heck I'm sure I've even seen a weekly plug for your official photographs over the past season on here.

To be continued....bored.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:26 pm

I have to laugh. The moment anyone dares to criticise something, quite right btw, World War III kicks off. Yet again, one has to wonder whether the cub really wants to rid itself of the amateurish reputation it has when it comes to anything like this...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Gnasher » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:04 pm

My questiion remains unanswered, how is a subscriber expected to let the club or commentators know there is a problem? The technology itself does not seem to give any indication of a problem to those using it.

I am well aware Sean, Lance, julian and Freez to mention a few provide the service on a voluntary basis but the club sell the service to paying customers and that was the direction my comments were aimed. I had hoped staring that particular message with 'what the club ....' would have hinted it wasn't aimed at Sean & Co,
Last edited by Gnasher on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Posh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:14 pm

marky wrote:I have to laugh. The moment anyone dares to criticise something, quite right btw, World War III kicks off. Yet again, one has to wonder whether the cub really wants to rid itself of the amateurish reputation it has when it comes to anything like this...

I'm sure the club would like to rid itself of a problem caused by a large organisation based in Surrey supporting 78 football clubs but providing a poor service to our football club over the last two matches. As this is the same organisation who had nearly 24 hours downtime across every FLI site, including MFC last week, it is right questions should be asked of them.

As much as you would like to blame the football club, and do so on an all too regular basis, on this occasion it wasn't their fault, so please depart and stir your pot somewhere else.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby parkyboy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:20 pm

My problen was caused with the server through Virgin went kapputt at half time , i switched to Shrewsbury and got commentry for 5 mins and then that went as well . The virgin broadband service was only resumed in our area of Leeds at about 4..00pm this afternoon ,as for the commentary up to breakdown yesterday it was great as it has been the last few weeks ,keep up the good work
parkyboy

Postby marky » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Posh wrote:I'm sure the club would like to rid itself of a problem caused by a large organisation based in Surrey supporting 78 football clubs but providing a poor service to our football club over the last two matches. As this is the same organisation who had nearly 24 hours downtime across every FLI site, including MFC last week, it is right questions should be asked of them.

I'd be genuinely interested to know whether the organisation in Surrey provides such a poor service to the other 77 clubs. As it is, even if they do, it isn't for the likes of Ockers to sort it out and I might suggest the people actually paid to deal with these issues could be a little more proactive. Updating the official site might be a start. For someone like me who only gets to a few games each season, the player could be a good buy but until the problems the one reads about on an alarmingly regular basis are solved, it's not a purchase I can consider.
marky

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:59 pm

marky wrote:For someone like me who only gets to a few games each season, the player could be a good buy but until the problems the one reads about on an alarmingly regular basis are solved, it's not a purchase I can consider.

I would point out that the actual commentary is greatly improved as the guys get more experienced and for that reason, it's worth having for those who can't get to many games.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:02 pm

If a certain cousin of mine was a regular I'd buy it like a shot ;)
marky

Postby Gnasher » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:28 am

Sean or the club has never suggested that customers 'use their friends, unofficial forums, Twitter and windows live/messenger as communication tools'. If you can prove otherwise, fine, if not I would apologise as that is possibly libelous.

I haven't randomly picked up club twitter and msn account details, they've been published somewhere recently. It's also a fact the only tool the club used to communicate a commentary problem was Twitter.

http://twitter.com/MorecambePlayer

Apologies for the loss of service, trying to sort it out
3:40 PM Oct 3rd from web

and on Saturday Sep 23rd;

We're hoping to be interactive on Saturday for the Dagenham game with MSN Messenger and a Shrimpsvoices account too.

Interactive :

1. acting one upon or with the other.
2. of or pertaining to a two-way system of electronic communications, as by means of television or computer: interactive communications between families using two-way cable television.
3. (of a computer program or system) interacting with a human user, often in a conversational way, to obtain data or commands and to give immediate results or updated information: For many years airline reservations have been handled by interactive computer systems.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby BLS BOY » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:09 pm

marky wrote:If a certain cousin of mine was a regular I'd buy it like a shot ;)

Cheers Mark!

I'm hoping to do some more but as always SV will be the first place you find out.

I thoroughly enjoy the commentating, i did against Notts Co, and the 2 games i did last season.

Sean, and co to an excellent job, and you'll be suprised how much work is needed to actually make the Player service come across well.

I'm sure all those who have also worked with Sean on the Player service would welcome feedback, and i appreciate Keith's dilemma, i'd feel the same, but the product is still in its infancy so please, just give it a bit more time.

Alister.
"the opposition are only as good as you make them"
BLS BOY

Postby Gnasher » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5052&hilit=twitter

Apologies for the break in service. I did tell Sean to put 50p in the meter but he obviously forgot!
Seriously, if there is a break let us know either on here, or via MSN Messenger ( morecambeplayer@live.co.uk)
We'll try something in the meantime.

Don't worry, I won't be expecting an apology from anyone for the libel accusation.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Mark S » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Gnasher wrote:
Don't worry, I won't be expecting an apology from anyone for the libel accusation.

Thats the difference between you and I Brian. I dont mind saying when I am wrong and holding my hand up. Apologies. Clearly Lance did invite subscribers to get in touch via the IM service to let them know if it went down.

I would be interested in a more 'professional' way to let them know while they are in mid commentary.

Maybe now I have apologised, you might apologise to Sean and Lance for describing their commentary as flakey?

One more paying subscriber signed up yesterday. Me. They guys do a fantastic job, giving up their time. They actually provide an income stream into the club and they would be missed if they were forced to quit by snide and negative comments about quality and professionalism.

Maybe personal issues should be put to one side before commenting on a service that I dont believe you subscribe to. Again if I am wrong apologies.
Mark S

Postby Phoenix » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Technically Mark, the service on Saturday was flakey and I stand by that comment. "Morecambe Player" kept going offline on MSN and you have Keith's comments on the service known as Morecambe Player.

What do you base your comment on my subscription status on? I have never told you or anyone else whether I subscribe or not. Perhaps you would do me the courtesy of checking with me first before publicly posting assumptions about me. For the record, the subscription I sometimes use was a present therefore you won't find it in my name or my family name. I wasn't listening to it on Saturday but chose to catch up on a week of Midsomer Murders.

Sean & Co provide a fantastic service and I have never commented on the content of their broadcasts, although recent remarks do seem to have been completely mis-understood.

(Gnasher changed his email address and the account needs re-activating by a mod before it can be used hence posting under my other alias)
Phoenix

Postby philbigmfcfan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:55 pm

im totaly with Gnasher
philbigmfcfan

Postby Mark S » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Phoenix wrote:Technically Mark, the service on Saturday was flakey and I stand by that comment. "Morecambe Player" kept going offline on MSN and you have Keith's comments on the service known as Morecambe Player.

What do you base your comment on my subscription status on? I have never told you or anyone else whether I subscribe or not. Perhaps you would do me the courtesy of checking with me first before publicly posting assumptions about me. For the record, the subscription I sometimes use was a present therefore you won't find it in my name or my family name. I wasn't listening to it on Saturday but chose to catch up on a week of Midsomer Murders.

Sean & Co provide a fantastic service and I have never commented on the content of their broadcasts, although recent remarks do seem to have been completely mis-understood.

(Gnasher changed his email address and the account needs re-activating by a mod before it can be used hence posting under my other alias)

Maybe it was the way you phrased it? 'Morecambe Player (one entity) has been as flakey as the commentary (another) this afternoon.' I naturally assumed that when you were referring to the two separate parts, you meant the two separate parts.

I dont have a scooby if you subscribe or not, but I assumed (correctly as it turns out) that you werent actually listening.

I still think it was very harsh to deem the service as unprofessional. You surprised me.

Account reactivated as requested.
Mark S

Postby Phoenix » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:09 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong Mark but I have never said I was listening on Saturday.

However, having correctly assumed that I wasn't listening, I am surprised that you then based all your arguments on the fact I was criticising content of the commentary I wasn't listening to.

I didn't ask for "Gnasher" to be re-activated, I was just pointing out why I went back to an old name.
Phoenix

Postby Mark S » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 pm

I was just wondering how you could describe the commentary as flakey when you were not listening?

The email I just recieved was a request to activate an account. I obliged. I just thought it was coerteous to let you know.
Mark S

Postby Phoenix » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 pm

I was just wondering how you could describe the commentary as flakey when you were not listening?

You only had to ask.

Automated emails, bless 'em. Time to draw this episode to a close, and I'm not just talking about this thread. I've finally documented the photo upload process so if there's no photos online, don't blame me. C'ya.
Phoenix

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Phoenix wrote:Time to draw this episode to a close...

Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion