University students - a commercial opportunity

University students - a commercial opportunity

Postby shrimper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:49 pm

For years I've wondered why the club doesn't make more effort to tap into what could be a great source of new fans, more income etc by offering something for students from our local universities.

We're really missing a trick by not at least trying to do something.

Even free ticket offers - if we got a few down they might spread the word, they'd be sure to buy a shirt to wear back home and.......... what?....they are?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A57891991#commentbox
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Re: University students - a commercial opportunity

Postby ockers » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

great post shrimper!!
ockers

Postby Curly » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Good post, and glad to see the commercial dept trying to tap into any way to raise the attendances. 8-)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby shrimper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Not trying to be smart - I'VE been one of the ones who has been slightly critical (while appreciating that the commercial side has done a very good job for many years) of this aspect.

So, credit where it's due. I hope they try more things like this in future and, importantly, that it works for them!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Was thinking the club really missed a trick on Tuesday with the Bradford game. Freshers week, everyone looking to socialse and burn-up their first loan installment.

All it would have took would have been a few posters on the notice boards, possibly working with the Students' Union and a couple of free double-decker buses running every half an hour from campus.

We would have certainly boosted our crowd by a good few hundred and a few might end-up adopting us for the duration of their studies.
Wild Bill

Postby ezz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:42 pm

It seem like a good idea, theres more students in that university that the population of Morecambe... :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:16 pm

good idea i know not everyone given a ticket will bother but even if only a few turn up it will be good and hopfully it will be a good game and they will come again
heysham_mfc

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:18 pm

Also with the bus makin apperances up at the uni on a daily basis more people will take note and jump on the Morecambe FC bus :D
thegentlegiant

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:38 pm

It would be great if the Morecambe Bus could do a Lancaster Uni to Morecambe run at about 1pm on a Saturday!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpnsave » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:46 pm

with will haining misses driving it :lol: 8-)
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:03 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:with will haining misses driving it :lol: 8-)

showing your age again young man :lol:

Keith wrote:It would be great if the Morecambe Bus could do a Lancaster Uni to Morecambe run at about 1pm on a Saturday!

I do believe they try to ensure on match days the bus runs between the 2, so hopefully will bring in a few extra!!
thegentlegiant

Postby Richard Head » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Free tickets for Students? Bollocks to that idea. I am one of the unwaged, as the PC brigade like to call us, so i cant afford to go to every game and have to pick and chose which i go to. I have supported Morecambe for over 40 years, any free tickets for me?
Richard Head

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Richard Head wrote:Free tickets for Students? Bollocks to that idea. I am one of the unwaged, as the PC brigade like to call us, so i cant afford to go to every game and have to pick and chose which i go to. I have supported Morecambe for over 40 years, any free tickets for me?

they don't get free tickets to all the games the free tickets is just to get them interested if they decide they like it and want to come back they will have to pay
heysham_mfc

Postby Richard Head » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm doing a course at the Adult College. Does that entitle me to a free ticket?
Richard Head

Postby bigreddog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:00 pm

An absolutely great idea. Congratulations to Mark and the team for getting this organised. We can't be blinkered to markets that we haven't tapped into yet. I really hope that the Morecambe FC Bus ( which I've seen loads of times this week advertising games at the back) is packed with students tomorrow who want to come to the locals, JB's, the burger van, buy match programmes and have a great day. All welcome, none turned away.

Maybe a leaflet in Polish should be next.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby mfcbro » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Two years ago myself and Andy Parker went up to the uni and gave away free tickets,we got a good response,we even put a free bus on but not many students took advantage of the offer.I believe Jimbo and Artell were up at the uni today giving away tickets and taking names for a free season ticket.The club have tried over the years to encourage students but i think it is too far away.
mfcbro

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Richard Head wrote:Free tickets for Students? Bollocks to that idea. I am one of the unwaged, as the PC brigade like to call us, so i cant afford to go to every game and have to pick and chose which i go to. I have supported Morecambe for over 40 years, any free tickets for me?

I wasn't suggesting free tickets, just free transport to and from the stadium. Loads of freshers wouldn't think twice about paying a tenner in the first week to see a bit of a derby involving the local team. If it was sucessful then I don't see why we can't arrange a free bus to come down from campus for every home game at about 1.30pm and take them back at 5.00pm.
Wild Bill

Postby Posh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:24 am

Wild Bill wrote:I wasn't suggesting free tickets, just free transport to and from the stadium. Loads of freshers wouldn't think twice about paying a tenner in the first week to see a bit of a derby involving the local team. If it was sucessful then I don't see why we can't arrange a free bus to come down from campus for every home game at about 1.30pm and take them back at 5.00pm.

The club have arranged with Stagecoach for a £2 return trip Uni to Christie Park on certain Saturday buses.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:24 am

At least two uni students going today, one being an Ipswich fan called Mike, who will be going in the York pre-match, wearing his white Ipswich shirt. So if you see a long haired tractor-boy go up and say hi...

...then abuse him for being a bloody free-loading student, shouldn't be out and about, should be in his room studying, hasn't he got any homework to do? must have something to study, probably hasn't even been to a lecture all week grumble grumble bugger mubble arse :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby parceldave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 am

shrimper wrote:For years I've wondered why the club doesn't make more effort to tap into what could be a great source of new fans, more income etc by offering something for students from our local universities.

We're really missing a trick by not at least trying to do something.

Even free ticket offers - if we got a few down they might spread the word, they'd be sure to buy a shirt to wear back home and.......... what?....they are?

Hi Glen , I think if you go back a bit on message board you will find that i posted on here after the comments made about our poor opening game attendance , about how we should do something to attract the students down from the Uni. I think Mr Dixon must have read it and done something about it . ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A57891991#commentbox
parceldave

Postby George Dawes » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:44 am

great idea, they've done similar stuff before with free or cheap buses in this case with certain events ie. at the Carlton inn, Superdome Platform

and Morecambe FC is the sort of club students would want to follow because there seen as unfashionable/neutral/different to supporting a top 4 club like most people

typical students :lol:
George Dawes

Return to General Discussion