O/T BT Vision & BT Total Broadband

Re: O/T BT Vision & BT Total Broadband

Postby skyecat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 pm

We switched to BT for the broadband and the Vision packages - we were already on the phone package. We switched from Tiscali, who were worse than useless when we had a problem and we were caught between a rock and a hard place - so had to switch - DON`T GO WITH TISCALI!
We went with BT for a few reasons, but one of the main ones was the UK based call centres and the free phone number. We run our business from the house and need to internet connection to be reliable.
The wife`s computer is connected via cable to the router, mine was using wifi, but I had a few problems with the wifi signal, bt in fairness, the router is 1 floor away and 3 rooms aay from my PC (both computers are in the office at the front of the house and the telephone line comes in at the back) - but after a few phonecalls over a few months etc, and trying a few different methods, we settled on running a network switch in the office and it works fine (he says, touching wood). The help desk has been great, friendly staff, knowledgeable and chatty and don`t cut you off or anything! - I`ve always had the problems solved by the end of a phonecall.
BT Vision is not bad at all, just don`t get UK Gold, SKY 1 or 2 or Sky movies or sports, but like Posh said, you do get online downloadable films, including HD films and ESPN.
On the package we`re on, the top one I think, we have the sports package and the film package but to be honest, the film package is called picture box and mainly shows old films, which I tend not to watch anyway. But the replay on the sports programs isn`t bad - you can generally watch premiership matches a few hours after they`ve been played, in full, or just the highlights.
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby eggchaser » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Just set up the total broadband with the homehub, it was very easy to set up and I'm getting a consistently fast connection speed!
still waiting for the Vision box to be delivered so can't comment on that yet but otherwise all is well.
Football is a gentleman's game, played by thugs
and Rugby is a thug's game, played by gentleman
eggchaser

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 pm

just out of curiosity, what speeds are you getting?
www.speedtest.net

Let me know upload & download speeds. I'm linking to Dublin or Manchester and getting similar results. I've just upgraded to ADSL2 and have the odd position that web pages load visually quicker yet the speed test is only marginally quicker?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby eggchaser » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Im getting 6.42mb/s Download and 0.38mb/s Upload from manchester.
Football is a gentleman's game, played by thugs
and Rugby is a thug's game, played by gentleman
eggchaser

Postby Mighty Red » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:37 am

BT broadband

Down 2.43 Mb/s
Up 0.38 Mb/s
Ping 53 ms

Is there a prize?
Mighty Red

Postby mfcbro » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:57 am

I live opposite your sister Keith and have both bt broadband and bt vision and have not had a problem with either,free espn a bonus as well.
mfcbro

Postby Gnasher » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:57 am

Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Previous

Return to General Discussion