Defensive Problems

Defensive Problems

Postby eggchaser » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:40 pm

What defensive problems?
We were absolutely solid today against one of the leagues most prolific strike forces! Yes Notts County did score but it was a fantastic finish and not much anyone could've done about it, we have definately turned a corner now and if we keep up these kinds of performances then it may well be a very exciting last season at CP
Football is a gentleman's game, played by thugs
and Rugby is a thug's game, played by gentleman
eggchaser

Re: Defensive Problems

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:45 pm

I keep saying Gary Hunter for England right back 8-)

Last two games the defence has coped with everything thrown at them and the 2nd half at Rotherham and todays last half hour they have been imense.

Jimbo & artell seem to be back to their best like they were in the 1st season.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Dave Artell was absolutely immense today and has been superb since reclaiming a place in the team. Hughes and Hawley barely got a kick today.

I hope some of the people who give him grief on here will acknowledge what a good defender he is even if it sometimes means launching it.

When Haining is fit it will be a hard team for Sammy to pick.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:09 pm

i put a lot down to Jimbo being back to his best in the team, he's so influential and a model captain at organizing things , he's my first name on the team sheet

well after Roche :P
Last edited by George Dawes on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby eggchaser » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

I think out of the three centre backs that played today I would probably drop Adams for Haining... I think adams is still a fantastic defender but Artell is in amazing form and Jimbo IS Morecambe FC plus on the evidence that I've seen so far Will Haining can do everything Adams can and with a bit more pace aswell!
eggchaser

Postby Mark S » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:12 pm

eggchaser wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

I think out of the three centre backs that played today I would probably drop Adams for Haining... I think adams is still a fantastic defender but Artell is in amazing form and Jimbo IS Morecambe FC plus on the evidence that I've seen so far Will Haining can do everything Adams can and with a bit more pace aswell!

No one deserves dropping after today. a good solid display by the defence. Will will have to earn his place back or wait til someone screws up surely?
Mark S

Postby eggchaser » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Mark S wrote:
eggchaser wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

No one deserves dropping after today. a good solid display by the defence. Will will have to earn his place back or wait til someone screws up surely?

Oh definately!
If it aint broke don't fix it
but in the games I've seen Will play in he's been top class but he'll definately have to earn his place in the team after the last couple of defensive performances.
Last edited by eggchaser on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggchaser

Postby campdave » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:16 pm

If it ain't broke...
campdave

Postby George Dawes » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Haining will have to wait for his chance i think, just like Stanley as waited and will probably start from now on while unlucky Manny Panther is injured
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Yes a much improved performance from the defence after the last home game v Rochdale.

Hunter has taken to the new role and for me that has helped. Still a few heart in the mouth moments towards the end....but hey...it wouldn't be Morecambe without them!

Maybe both Arts and Bents read my post and said..'Bollocks, we'll show that old git a thing or three!' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Immense.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Yeah, well done CC , you told them, via us, big time, any chance you could sort out the economy on your day off :lol: :lol:
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Curly » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Dave Artell was absolutely immense today and has been superb since reclaiming a place in the team. Hughes and Hawley barely got a kick today.

I hope some of the people who give him grief on here will acknowledge what a good defender he is even if it sometimes means launching it.

Thought just the same today, never put a foot wrong imo 8-)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Christies Child » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:34 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Yeah, well done CC , you told them, via us, big time, any chance you could sort out the economy on your day off :lol: :lol:

Erm..let me see!

Out of Afgan....Stop Trident....Get rid of needless admin in the Public sector and the Health service......and that's for starters!

Enough for a Sunday debate?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 am

defence spot on looks like we have got a winning formula
heysham_mfc

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:38 am

The defensive problems are now a thing of the past.
Little Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:39 am

yeah now Moss is out of the team, he'll have to work on his game and fight for his place now if he wants it back

but fair play to Hunter, i can see him being a permanent fixture in that role all season
George Dawes

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:42 pm

I know lots of people disagree with me sometimes but i still think arts and jimbo are up there with the best centre half pairings in league two - yesterday just proved it for me
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby mfcbro » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 pm

I totally agree people have a short memory,towards the end of last season we kept 7 clean sheets out 11.I thought Jimbo and Artell were awesome yesterday against lets not forget former championship players.Whos Lee Hughes and Karl Hawley anyway?
mfcbro

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:15 am

Jimbo came back a game or two too early and Adams always takes two or three games to get going. Also Mossy just hasn't done it.

The reason I never got downhearted, though, was that we KNOW (or we should by now) that we have a good defence when everyone's fit. Our problem in the past has been creating enough chances from midfield and then scoring enough goals.

Early season showed us that this had been addressed and was no longer an issue.

Get the defence solid again (as we knew we were capable of doing) and we'd be fine.

It's not all plain sailing and we may well have some dodgy results over the next few difficult weeks.

But if we can keep reasonably strong until the latter end of October I think we can really start to push up the table towards Christmas.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Return to General Discussion