Reserves tongiht

Re: Reserves tongiht

Postby Christies Child » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Well put mark

CC was not there so he, like the rest of us, cannot really comment on last night, saturday is our divisions version of burnley v man city , so we cannot really expect a win against a team that are on a fast track to the premier league :?:

Sorry, but I don't accept that. Our performances over the years against so called better teams has proved that on our day we can match anybody in this league. Unfortunately it's v the poorer teams where we generally come unstuck....even before we achieved Football League status.

I'm certainly expecting a positive result v Notts County, before I go away on holiday for a couple of weeks you'll be delighted to hear.....:) :) :)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Christies Child wrote:Sorry, but I don't accept that. Our performances over the years against so called better teams has proved that on our day we can match anybody in this league.

Yeah, but we've been tanked by top teams too - Gillingham last season?

Anyone expecting a win on Saturday has the potential to come away feeling very disappointed.
campdave

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:04 pm

CC S WISE WORDS

My questions are 'has their been a fundamental change in defensive tactics this season or is it due to other areas of the team not carrying out the instructions of the management team?'

'If it's not down to a change in tactics, is it due to key personnel collectively not performing to their usual high standards?'

'If it's the fault of personnel, is this because of a dramatic loss in form or is it that they are not as mobile as they used to be due to age or a lack of a competitive pre-season'

...and if it's the fault of individuals 'why have changes not been made before last Saturday?'

HMMMMMMMM :roll:
PUNKISDEAD

Postby shrimper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:54 pm

I can't believe anyone's seriously getting concerned about the result of a reserves game which included several players who will be on the bench (and will need to be fit and uninjured) on Saturday.

It was a run-out for those players - get some minutes under your belt to keep you ticking over but don't pull your tripes out or get injured.

My dad watches nearly all the reserves home games and he always says - in terms of results - they are usually better when they field a full, proper, reserves team, instead of one littered with people usually involved with the first team squad.

It's like getting all worked up and critical when England lose a friendly which was only ever a chance to give a few fringe players a run-out.

You'd think some people had only been watching football for two minutes from some of the comments on here.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Abbo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Someone said pretty much about the pre season friendlies, that they were just used for getting the lads fit etc etc and just wait till the season starts hmmm hasnt quite worked out that way (yet)
Abbo

Postby ezz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:41 pm

You cant really change much now, all you can do is tell the defence to play better.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby shrimper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:46 pm

This season we had some tough pre-season opponents - a good test in which we had mixed results. Didn't tell us much at all about how our team would fare come the real action.

It gave Sammy a chance to look at a few players and, from all that, he probably learned that Twissy was looking in good shape, Wilson was a useful new addition who was tried at full back and further forward, and that neither Larkin nor Chadwick were any better than what we had.

Duffy looked great pre-season but hasn't shined yet in the League.

Previously we've done really well in pre-season then struggled at the start. In others we've looked rubbish pre-season but then started well.

Some players look great in the Ressies then do nothing in the first team. Some good first teamers don't shine in the Ressies where they play at half pace for much of the game.

Just saying it tells us nothing much really if we lose to Wrexham in a Reserve game and it surprises me that people are getting so worked up.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Dazzer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:10 pm

ezz wrote:all you can do is tell the defence to play better.

Yep, FIFA coaching badges, who needs em, just a load of mumbo jumbo :shock: :lol:
Dazzer

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Lee hughes hat trick on saturday looks a good bet on betfred :mrgreen:

not any more cos he's got a chest infection:

http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/page/New ... 41,00.html
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:46 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Sorry, but I don't accept that. Our performances over the years against so called better teams has proved that on our day we can match anybody in this league.

Anyone expecting a win on Saturday has the potential to come away feeling very disappointed.

so what you are saying is that we have no chance of winning so should we just let them have the points?
heysham_mfc

Postby campdave » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:31 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:so what you are saying is that we have no chance of winning so should we just let them have the points?

Point out the part where I said that.
campdave

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:23 pm

campdave wrote:

Anyone expecting a win on Saturday has the potential to come away feeling very disappointed and we have no chance of winning so we should just let them have the points<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THERE!!!
Bare Ben

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
campdave wrote:

Anyone expecting a win on Saturday has the potential to come away feeling very disappointed and we have no chance of winning so we should just let them have the points<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THERE!!!

8-) :lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby shrimper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:36 am

On paper we are big underdogs. But the bookies odds don't reflect the true state of our side.

We've played some decent sides recently and not looked second best - and I think there is still scope for some improvement.

We matched Rotherham - who wouldn't be big underdogs against Notts. We matched Chesterfield - who beat them. We should have had at least a point at Barnet, they also beat them.

Notts have the ability to thrash any side in this league but they don't always do it.

We can buckle under pressure (which may happen) but we can also match very good teams.

So, not favourites (fair enough) - but NO particular result on Saturday would come as a great surprise to me.
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:33 am

shrimper wrote: but NO particular result on Saturday would come as a great surprise to me.

How about 3.0 up at half time? :o

... and maybe the answer is to get the manager in the team :o

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/w ... -24719558/
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:33 am

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Well put mark

CC was not there so he, like the rest of us, cannot really comment on last night, saturday is our divisions version of burnley v man city , so we cannot really expect a win against a team that are on a fast track to the premier league :?:

So what you are saying is every time we come up against a team in a higher position than us , we cant expect to win . :o Why are they on a fast track to the Prem , they havn't got out of this division yet and have already lost 2 games. :o Maybe our game on Saturday should be the Burnley v Man Utd version . How the hell did we manage to beat Preston and Wolves. :roll: :roll: :roll:
parceldave

Postby campdave » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am

parceldave wrote: How the hell did we manage to beat Preston and Wolves. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And we've lost to several sides in the leagues above us since those results.

Some people do have massive over expectations when it comes to our results (which is their perogative) - see the score prediction threads from when we played Preston in the League Cup for example.
campdave

Postby shrimper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:29 pm

I think the point being made centres on the word 'expect'. I don't think any of us can 'expect' to win any games with the start we've had. We can 'hope', or even 'think' that we will. But if we 'expect' to then we are setting ourselves up for a big disappointment IF we don't. That's what I took him to mean.

And marky - a 'result' is only at the end of a game.

A pet hate, which Bay Radio used to do many years ago and which Mark S does sometimes just to wind me up, "...... and now the half time results..."

Aaaaaaagh!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 pm

shrimper wrote:And marky - a 'result' is only at the end of a game.

Yes I thought you would shoot me down with that one ~ I was a sitting duck :lol:

Merely pointing out that although I would also say "nothing would surprise me" I would'nt be sticking my £1 on the RESULT to go the same way as the Rochdale game whether that be the half time score or the full time score

I guess 3.3 would be a result tho providing we were 3.0 down at half time ~ well you know what I mean :?

ps in my dictionary one defintion of "result" is "thing caused or "produced". What I would like to know is what caused the result when we produced a great first half.

I will get my coat
marky No.1

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
shrimper wrote: but NO particular result on Saturday would come as a great surprise to me.

How about 3.0 up at half time? :o

... and maybe the answer is to get the manager in the team :o

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/w ... -24719558/

we would lose 4-3 :o :)
heysham_mfc

Postby D-EZ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:30 am

Gavin Clark is an exciting prospect. Midfield general. Personally believe he's the best find Morecambe may have ever had. Just turned 17. Played full game for first team against Lancaster in pre season.
D-EZ

Previous

Return to General Discussion