Defence Obviously needs changing......

Re: Defence Obviously needs changing......

Postby George Dawes » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:42 am

ONLY THE FULL-BACKS like ive been harping on about week in week out week in week out..
George Dawes

Postby Posh » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 am

Dysie wrote:There seems to be alot of SV's who blame the defence for all the problems. However, what I often note (watching from the ends of the paddock we are attacking) is that we don't defend from the front well enough (Mullin tonight being the exception).
Opposition defenders too often are allowed time & space to clear their lines or play up to half-way & give it to one of their 'pacey' players who skips through our midfield in no time, straight at our defence, then usually has many options still ahead of him (in terms of the amount of team mates that have also got forward, without being 'tracked back').
On nights like tonight it's the whole team collectively (inc. the management) who are to blame, not certain individuals.

Completely agree. I didn't really see that much wrong with the defence in the match tonight. The problem was in midfield. Panther worked really hard but even he tired; Wilson got two knocks in the first half and struggled a bit in the second but gave Danny some support; Drummy and Craney provided virtually no support or movement in the second half and were statues. That and dropping deep allowed Rochdale to just run at us and pull us to pieces. At one point they had 5 on 3 because no midfielder had the pace or could be arsed to cover. Sammy was then at fault for not doing what everyone around me and in the bar after said, which was to take Drummy off and put Garry Hunter on in front of the defence to provide support to Manny. Undoubtedly Craney had to come off but Stanners would probably have given the energy further upfield.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Posh » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 am

Dysie wrote:There seems to be alot of SV's who blame the defence for all the problems. However, what I often note (watching from the ends of the paddock we are attacking) is that we don't defend from the front well enough (Mullin tonight being the exception).
Opposition defenders too often are allowed time & space to clear their lines or play up to half-way & give it to one of their 'pacey' players who skips through our midfield in no time, straight at our defence, then usually has many options still ahead of him (in terms of the amount of team mates that have also got forward, without being 'tracked back').
On nights like tonight it's the whole team collectively (inc. the management) who are to blame, not certain individuals.

Completely agree. I didn't really see that much wrong with the defence in the match tonight. The problem was in midfield. Panther worked really hard but even he tired; Wilson got two knocks in the first half and struggled a bit in the second but gave Danny some support; Drummy and Craney provided virtually no support or movement in the second half and were statues. That and dropping deep allowed Rochdale to just run at us and pull us to pieces. At one point they had 5 on 3 because no midfielder had the pace or could be arsed to cover. Sammy was then at fault for not doing what everyone around me and in the bar after said, which was to take Drummy off and put Garry Hunter on in front of the defence to provide support to Manny. Undoubtedly Craney had to come off but Stanners would probably have given the energy further upfield.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:05 am

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Moss was my mom tonight, surprised to see you now openly being critical of sammy CC, are you, as one in the know, paving the way for a glorious for jim harvey :?:

Unlike one or two others on here, I'm not going to start calling for the managers head. But he has to shoulder some of the blame for the pickle we now find ourselves in. He determines tactics; he picks the team; he assembled the squad.

It's strange to me and no doubt to McStay himself how despite all the goals that have been leaked this season that he hasn't featured at all. Why? Has he said or done something that has annoyed the manager or is he this seasons 'fall guy'?

The time will come if things don't improve when the Board will take action, but that time hasn't yet arrived. Give it until the end of October and if things haven't improved then maybe some corrective action may be taken.

Now isn't the time for rash over reaction. Cool heads and a re-think of our defensive formation are called for.

For what it's worth my defensive alternative would be a flat back 4 of: McStay Haining Bentley Wilson / Adams. Forget wing backs. Play a traditional 4 4 2 with a central midfield of Panther Hunter Craney Wainwright / Wilson and a strike partnership of Mullen and Jevons.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 am

The, I am not calling for the managers head, and then critising his decision making is a bit cowardly, as is naming a team with alternatives and injured people in it :lol:

Haining is unfit.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Dazzer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:23 am

All through the second half what seemed the obvious problem to me was Rochdale were just quicker and sharper in and around our box than us.
Bentley and Adams are now both 34, (and like Artell, they've never been the quickest) in front of them is Drummond now 35, It may be just the sands of time that are the main cause of our problems.
We have Haining to come back but I agree it's maybe time Parrish and McStay were given a go, not sure they will be our salvation but 22 goals conceded in 8 games says it all.

(I'm a huge fan of Jimbo's and I'm sure like as before he will prove the doubters wrong, but I reckon even he knows he is struggling at the moment - his confidence looked shot last night)

It's funny, I don't think we are far off, still plenty of positives for me. For that 25 minute period last night it all seemed to come together and we looked 2 divisions better than Rochdale, and when Mark read out the subs bench before kick off I thought that was the strongest sounding bench we have ever had. I've never thought my glasses were particularly rosey, but I think our season will turn sooner rather than later.
Dazzer

Postby Christies Child » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:31 am

PUNKISDEAD wrote:The, I am not calling for the managers head, and then critising his decision making is a bit cowardly, as is naming a team with alternatives and injured people in it :lol:

Haining is unfit.

Why not divert your attention to those who have ACTUALLY called for a change?
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:04 am

The team must take collective responsibility for blowing a three goal lead at home. I doubt any other side in this division would crumble so easily and quickly in the circumstances (Rotherham still had 20 minutes to get a winner). Sammy should have made changes earlier, but he didn't. I don't think we changed our style of play all that much in the second half, it was more Rotherham switching to a more attacking formation which left three at the back. The management and team failed to react to this until it was too late. Never thought I'd say this, but Drummond was an absolute passenger last night. How he made it the full 90 minutes without being replaced is beyond me.

Changes needed for Rotherham otherwise it could be a cricket score.
RedRedWine1

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:14 am

We desperately needed a shot in the arm on the 65 minute mark last night. Hunter and Duffy are pure impact sub material - the tiring Craney and Drummond off for them 2? I know half of that was fulfilled be IMO we needed a creative outlet on the right for us to maybe get a 4th to cushion our lead and take the wind out of Rochdale's sails a bit.

The way we lost those goals was awful - you could see they were going in about 30 seconds beforehand because our usually well-organised defence was all over the place whenever Rochdale ran at us, and there was no one in midfield to actively cover. Manny Panther didn't look his usual self tonight either.
Harry

Postby Christies Child » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:31 am

RedRedWine wrote:The team must take collective responsibility for blowing a three goal lead at home. I doubt any other side in this division would crumble so easily and quickly in the circumstances (Rotherham still had 20 minutes to get a winner). Sammy should have made changes earlier, but he didn't. I don't think we changed our style of play all that much in the second half, it was more Rotherham switching to a more attacking formation which left three at the back. The management and team failed to react to this until it was too late. Never thought I'd say this, but Drummond was an absolute passenger last night. How he made it the full 90 minutes without being replaced is beyond me.

Changes needed for Rotherham otherwise it could be a cricket score.

?????? Too much drowning your sorrows with Red Wine by the sounds of it... or was I at a different match?
Christies Child

Postby parceldave » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:49 am

Christies Child wrote:
PUNKISDEAD wrote:Moss was my mom tonight, surprised to see you now openly being critical of sammy CC, are you, as one in the know, paving the way for a glorious for jim harvey :?:

Unlike one or two others on here, I'm not going to start calling for the managers head. But he has to shoulder some of the blame for the pickle we now find ourselves in. He determines tactics; he picks the team; he assembled the squad.

It's strange to me and no doubt to McStay himself how despite all the goals that have been leaked this season that he hasn't featured at all. Why? Has he said or done something that has annoyed the manager or is he this seasons 'fall guy'?

The time will come if things don't improve when the Board will take action, but that time hasn't yet arrived. Give it until the end of October and if things haven't improved then maybe some corrective action may be taken.

Now isn't the time for rash over reaction. Cool heads and a re-think of our defensive formation are called for.

For what it's worth my defensive alternative would be a flat back 4 of: McStay Haining Bentley Wilson / Adams. Forget wing backs. Play a traditional 4 4 2 with a central midfield of Panther Hunter Craney Wainwright / Wilson and a strike partnership of Mullen and Jevons.

What no Mr T , not like you C.C :o
parceldave

Postby campdave » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:58 am

Posh wrote:

Agree - the midfield was completely over run in the second half - hardly noticed Drummond all match, and Panther seemed to squander a lot of possession. Would like to see Hunter on from the start in the next match. People can blame the defence all they like, but they weren't the main issue last night, as on several occasions last season, we were too lightweight in midfield.

Result aside - it was a cracking match.
campdave

Previous

Return to General Discussion