Defence Obviously needs changing......

Defence Obviously needs changing......

Postby ezz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:43 pm

There are obviously many different views about what needs changing in defence.
Well heres what I think:

Moss McStay Artell Wilson

I know Jimbo is the captain etc but at the moment he isn't upto scratch, some might argue but the stats dont lie our defence is atrocious right now. I think McStay is very composed and good at tackling, also has a bit of pace (more than Jimbo and Moose). Artell is a lumper of the ball but he does have a good aerial presence and also last season these 2 made a very good partnership.
People are saying Moss is out of his depth but I dont know who to replace him with, unless one of the young lads is a defender. But something has to change as we can no longer blame it on the midfield not protecting are brittle defence.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Re: Defence Obviously needs changing......

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:47 pm

I thought moss was our best defender tonight, I think Mc stay is better than Artell.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby PottedShrimp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Changing? It'd just be nice to have one :cry:
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby Duffman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:57 pm

I'd be shocked if Sammy didn't make a change for Rotherham. McStay and Parrish must desperate to get on and prove their worth.
Duffman

Postby Christies Child » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Blame the manager for tonights game of two halves.

Why change the tactics of playing it on the ground in the first half, to one of long high balls in the second?

For once the manager should hold his hands up and say that he got it wrong. The number of people coming out of the ground complaining at the change in tactics was incredible.

Having said that, the radio guys from Rochdale commented on how scared we looked at anybody who ran at us with pace. But the difference between the two teams was that throughout Rochdale played it on the deck...something that we did and should have continued to do.

The only positive from tonight was the performance of Mullin and Jevons who as I predicted looked a different player with a target man alongside....well in the first half that is. Then everything changed...... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Shrimpman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Christies Child wrote:Blame the manager for tonights game of two halves.

Why change the tactics of playing it on the ground in the first half, to one of long high balls in the second?

For once the manager should hold his hands up and say that he got it wrong. The number of people coming out of the ground complaining at the change in tactics was incredible.

Having said that, the radio guys from Rochdale commented on how scared we looked at anybody who ran at us with pace. But the difference between the two teams was that throughout Rochdale played it on the deck...something that we did and should have continued to do.

The only positive from tonight was the performance of Mullin and Jevons who as I predicted looked a different player with a target man alongside....well in the first half that is. Then everything changed...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

not the first time hes got it wrong (or the 2nd IMO)
Shrimpman

Postby Vinny » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:12 pm

We all have opinions and with respect to our defence, it is my opinion that I haven't yet seen Moss have a good game. In fact I believe the vast majority of goals we have conceded this season have been as a result of poor play by Moss. He seems to give too much space to an attacker, back off, falls on his arse, or has pushed too far forward and left us totally exposed at the back. I was thinking at one stage tonight he was having a better game, but I have to say I am not impressed by his play and I think he has been one of our liabilities. I would prefer to see Parish tried in that position, at least he has pace, can tackle, put in a good cross and get back.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Sharpy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:12 pm

he's got in wrong too bloody often! Sort it out Sammy!
Morecambe and District Kite and Tins Society. Official Kite Owner
Sharpy

Postby the stowford press » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Vinny wrote:We all have opinions and with respect to our defence, it is my opinion that I haven't yet seen Moss have a good game. In fact I believe the vast majority of goals we have conceded this season have been as a result of poor play by Moss. He seems to give too much space to an attacker, back off, falls on his arse, or has pushed too far forward and left us totally exposed at the back. I was thinking at one stage tonight he was having a better game, but I have to say I am not impressed by his play and I think he has been one of our liabilities. I would prefer to see Parish tried in that position, at least he has pace, can tackle, put in a good cross and get back.

macilroy got rid of yates cos his face didnt fit,thought moss played ok tho,as for bigbird,sorry parish,what planet are you on,no pace,cant tackle and well,guess the rest
the stowford press

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Moss was my mom tonight, surprised to see you now openly being critical of sammy CC, are you, as one in the know, paving the way for a glorious for jim harvey :?:
PUNKISDEAD

Postby shrimpnsave » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:38 pm

what u on about ?????
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Do you mean we should defend our league status by getting a new manager, I noticed the oooh sammy sammy song was not sung tonight :lol: :lol:
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Wigan Shrimp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Moss MOM?? Must have been watching a different game! He was given the run around by Buckley (who is a quality player to be fair), especially in the 2nd half, hence Sammy replaced Craney with Hunter in right midfield to give Moss more cover.... didn`t really work out though! Adams was comfortably the pick of the defenders for me.
Wigan Shrimp

Postby Vinny » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:48 pm

the stowford press wrote:
Vinny wrote:We all have opinions and with respect to our defence, it is my opinion that I haven't yet seen Moss have a good game. In fact I believe the vast majority of goals we have conceded this season have been as a result of poor play by Moss. He seems to give too much space to an attacker, back off, falls on his arse, or has pushed too far forward and left us totally exposed at the back. I was thinking at one stage tonight he was having a better game, but I have to say I am not impressed by his play and I think he has been one of our liabilities. I would prefer to see Parish tried in that position, at least he has pace, can tackle, put in a good cross and get back.

macilroy got rid of yates cos his face didnt fit,thought moss played ok tho,as for bigbird,sorry parish,what planet are you on,no pace,cant tackle and well,guess the rest

Apparenetly Yatsey was offered a contract but refused to sign it. He wanted to be nearer his home. We have not replaced him with Moss, in my opinion, but we do have a couple of other squad players who have shown when they have been given half a chance that they are worthy of a shirt, eg Parish or McStay (or Haining? when fit).
Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Wigan Shrimp wrote:Moss MOM?? Must have been watching a different game! He was given the run around by Buckley (who is a quality player to be fair), especially in the 2nd half, hence Sammy replaced Craney with Hunter in right midfield to give Moss more cover.... didn`t really work out though! Adams was comfortably the pick of the defenders for me.

Agreed.
Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:50 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Do you mean we should defend our league status by getting a new manager, I noticed the oooh sammy sammy song was not sung tonight :lol: :lol:

Are you Simply Ned in disguise? :lol:
Vinny

Postby PottedShrimp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:11 pm

Vinny wrote:
Wigan Shrimp wrote:Moss MOM?? Must have been watching a different game! He was given the run around by Buckley (who is a quality player to be fair), especially in the 2nd half, hence Sammy replaced Craney with Hunter in right midfield to give Moss more cover.... didn`t really work out though! Adams was comfortably the pick of the defenders for me.

Agreed.

seems right to me
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby james456 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Moss had a great first half, making some quality tackles but in the second half, all our problems were coming from that flank with their attacker flying down the wing and threatening constantly. Moss was no match for him.
james456

Postby Dysie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:21 pm

There seems to be alot of SV's who blame the defence for all the problems. However, what I often note (watching from the ends of the paddock we are attacking) is that we don't defend from the front well enough (Mullin tonight being the exception).
Opposition defenders too often are allowed time & space to clear their lines or play up to half-way & give it to one of their 'pacey' players who skips through our midfield in no time, straight at our defence, then usually has many options still ahead of him (in terms of the amount of team mates that have also got forward, without being 'tracked back').
On nights like tonight it's the whole team collectively (inc. the management) who are to blame, not certain individuals.

Everything we did right in the 1st half - we did wrong in the 2nd.
Everything Rochdale did wrong in the 1st - they did right in the 2nd....
& I wouldn't be surprised if Keith Hill is disappointed they didn't go on & win it!

(FWIW) My mom - Paul Mullin
Dysie

Postby ockers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:32 pm

the stowford press wrote:

if you mean andy parrish i though he played really well tuesday night
set up waynos goal with a great 50 yard pass and worked hard
why he was switched to left back im not sure that didnt seem to work when perhaps neil wainwright could have slotted in
hes a young lad(20) who perhaps should have got his chance against hereford maybe he still will
Bury rated him seems we dont.....
ockers

Postby ockers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Dysie wrote:There seems to be alot of SV's who blame the defence for all the problems. However, what I often note (watching from the ends of the paddock we are attacking) is that we don't defend from the front well enough (Mullin tonight being the exception).
Opposition defenders too often are allowed time & space to clear their lines or play up to half-way & give it to one of their 'pacey' players who skips through our midfield in no time, straight at our defence, then usually has many options still ahead of him (in terms of the amount of team mates that have also got forward, without being 'tracked back').
On nights like tonight it's the whole team collectively (inc. the management) who are to blame, not certain individuals.

Everything we did right in the 1st half - we did wrong in the 2nd.
Everything Rochdale did wrong in the 1st - they did right in the 2nd....
& I wouldn't be surprised if Keith Hill is disappointed they didn't go on & win it!

(FWIW) My mom - Paul Mullin

very good point dysie

well said
ockers

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 am

Fully agree Vinny and these good tackles he makes they always seem last ditch/panick tackles as he knows if his man gets past him he's well gone so he has to make the tackle count you never see him trying to hold his man up etc either he makes a last ditch tackle or the bloke goes straight past him.

I agree with the full team the defending the midfield was wide open in the second half why didn't we get Hunter on earlier to try and close people down with fresh legs.

I believe yates would have stayed but I also don't think everyone still knows hat fully happened there.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby sandgroneun » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:16 am

P/T Indie wrote:

Fully agree Vinny and these good tackles he makes they always seem last ditch/panick tackles as he knows if his man gets past him he's well gone so he has to make the tackle count you never see him trying to hold his man up etc either he makes a last ditch tackle or the bloke goes straight past him.

I agree with the full team the defending the midfield was wide open in the second half why didn't we get Hunter on earlier to try and close people down with fresh legs.

I believe yates would have stayed but I also don't think everyone still knows hat fully happened there.

If we thinl Parrish is our salvation, then we are doomed! !!!!
sandgroneun

Postby ockers » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:24 am

sandgroneun wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:

If we thinl Parrish is our salvation, then we are doomed! !!!!

get a grip and just read back the post youre referring to and your response

he never said that
ockers

Postby sandgroneun » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:46 am

ockers wrote:

If we think Parrish is our salvation, then we are doomed! !!!!

get a grip and just read back the post youre referring to and your response

he never said that[/quote]
Why was Yatesy brought back from being on loan ?
sandgroneun

Next

Return to General Discussion