morecambe vs cambridge fa cup ages ago

morecambe vs cambridge fa cup ages ago

Postby A.J » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:10 pm

hey wen i was young i got taken to the fa cup match vs cambrigde, i can barely remember anything all i can remember is that we won, i think :? and that we wer in the north stand coz my legs wer hurtin coz i was a wuss! :o

is ther anyone who can fill me in on the game, what happened, who scored and wat atendance it was?

and what division wer cambridge in at the time :?: :?:
A.J

Re: morecambe vs cambridge fa cup ages ago

Postby shrimpnsave » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:19 pm

welcome aj to the board,

quote,wen i was young.ur only sixteen now ;)

makes me feel pretty old :) :)
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby The Marksman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:26 pm

Was that the one where Mark Quayle scored the winner?

Edit: yes it was.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2000/dec/11/match.sport12
The Marksman

Postby ockers » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:00 pm

A.J wrote:hey wen i was young i got taken to the fa cup match vs cambrigde, i can barely remember anything all i can remember is that we won, i think :? and that we wer in the north stand coz my legs wer hurtin coz i was a wuss! :o

is ther anyone who can fill me in on the game, what happened, who scored and wat atendance it was?

Cambridge United were in division three of the football league what is now League Two
Morecambe won 2 1
John Hardiker tried to claim the first goal but gave it to John Norman after 8 minutes
Tom Youngs equalised for Cambridge United
Former Shrimp Alex Russell went close to push Cambridge hitting a fierce drive over the bar I seem to remember
Roy McFarland was Cambridge United manager at the time
Adriano Rigoglioso(now at grays athletic) had a drive come back off the post and minutes later Mark Quayle scored the winner
The following saturday he scored a hattrick in a 4 4 draw with Scarborough so did Steve Brodie for scarborough and that match was stringys debut for Morecambe

attendance in the FA cup game was under 3000 and Cambridge managed no more than around 350 supporters which was poor
ockers

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 pm

My first game was at home to Telford, we shared the north stand with their fans, we were awful and lost 1-0. I too cant remember anything about that game, think it was 1997 maybe later.

Can someone help me...
Bare Ben

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Bare Ben wrote:My first game was at home to Telford, we shared the north stand with their fans, we were awful and lost 1-0. I too cant remember anything about that game, think it was 1997 maybe later.

Can someone help me...

Are you serious?

You think you can be helped :?:

That's delusional in itself :!: :!:
:lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby A.J » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 pm

was ther a pitch invation at the end?
A.J

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:24 pm

morecambe mick wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:My first game was at home to Telford, we shared the north stand with their fans, we were awful and lost 1-0. I too cant remember anything about that game, think it was 1997 maybe later.

Can someone help me...

Are you serious?

You think you can be helped :?:

That's delusional in itself :!: :!:
:lol: :lol:

Yes i'm serious. I asked the question because I have problems.
Bare Ben

Postby shrimpnsave » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:27 pm

ockers wrote:
A.J wrote:hey wen i was young i got taken to the fa cup match vs cambrigde, i can barely remember anything all i can remember is that we won, i think :? and that we wer in the north stand coz my legs wer hurtin coz i was a wuss! :o

Cambridge United were in division three of the football league what is now League Two
Morecambe won 2 1
John Hardiker tried to claim the first goal but gave it to John Norman after 8 minutes
Former Shrimp Alex Russell went close to push Cambridge hitting a fierce drive over the bar I seem to remember
Adriano Rigoglioso(now at grays athletic) had a drive come back off the post and minutes later Mark Quayle scored the winner
The following saturday he scored a hattrick in a 4 4 draw with Scarborough so did Steve Brodie for scarborough and that match was stringys debut for Morecambe

attendance in the FA cup game was under 3000 and Cambridge managed no more than around 350 supporters which was poor

can you be a bit more specfic :lol: :lol: ;)
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Harry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:34 pm

A.J wrote:was ther a pitch invation at the end?

If I remember rightly that was after the Ipswich game - could be wrong but I remember there was one around that time.
Harry

Postby ockers » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Harry wrote:
A.J wrote:was ther a pitch invation at the end?

If I remember rightly that was after the Ipswich game - could be wrong but I remember there was one around that time.

there was a streaker who charged on to pitch from carwash side fo ground well he wasnt a streaker as such but a lad who joked about running on pitch on radio one prematch and he did in the most appalling grey undercrackers

and yes there was a pitch invasion at the end of the game no surprise!!!!!
ockers

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:45 pm

ockers wrote:

Morecambe won 2 1

Where did you cut and paste that from Sean :?:

No typo's - dead give away :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby ockers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:18 am

morecambe mick wrote:
ockers wrote:

Morecambe won 2 1

Where did you cut and paste that from Sean :?:

No typo's - dead give away :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

twas my own fair hand squire!!!!

as you well know.... 8-)
ockers

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 am

Quality game (Cambridge), though I too don't remember it all that well as I would have been quite young myself. I spent half of the match with my Dad in the main stand (probably the last time until Tuesday just gone that I've sat up there), and the other half with my mates in the North Stand. They had a French keeper who did a strange gesture to those in the home end involving some imaginary poo falling out of his bum. The programme was weird, front cover being landscape with the content being portrait (off the top of my head, it is in a draw somewhere).

At the time it was a big scalp, but seeing as Lancaster City almost managed to beat them a couple of seasons later, and the fact that Cambridge United are now a league below us it is almost easy overlook the result achieved by the players we had on the books at that time. Ditto the Chesterfield result. Thinking back, this game was a catalyst for some of the things that followed. We were a professional club a season later, which without the first Ipswich tie I very much doubt would have happened.
RedRedWine1

Postby Richard Head » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:49 am

Wasnt it during this cup run that Jim Bowen took advantage of the situation and got his ugly mug on TV at every opportunity. Tw*t
Richard Head

Postby Philja » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:04 am

A few to jog the memory banks..
http://www.djclark.com/2000/events/mfc/index.htm
"The desert grows three miles a year, it just grows, it just grows.."
Philja

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:08 am

I thought Jimbo scored a cracker of a volley or was that against Chester in the next round.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:28 am

P/T Indie wrote:I thought Jimbo scored a cracker of a volley or was that against Chester in the next round.

Bentley didn't play for us then. He joined us at the start of the 2002/03 season after we had gone full-time. That side also had a good run in the FA Cup that ended away at Ipswich in the third round. We knocked out Chesterfield and Chester along the way, Bentley getting a brace against Chester.
RedRedWine1

Postby ockers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:59 am

RedRedWine wrote:Quality game (Cambridge), though I too don't remember it all that well as I would have been quite young myself. I spent half of the match with my Dad in the main stand (probably the last time until Tuesday just gone that I've sat up there), and the other half with my mates in the North Stand. They had a French keeper who did a strange gesture to those in the home end involving some imaginary poo falling out of his bum. The programme was weird, front cover being landscape with the content being portrait (off the top of my head, it is in a draw somewhere).

At the time it was a big scalp, but seeing as Lancaster City almost managed to beat them a couple of seasons later, and the fact that Cambridge United are now a league below us it is almost easy overlook the result achieved by the players we had on the books at that time. Ditto the Chesterfield result. Thinking back, this game was a catalyst for some of the things that followed. We were a professional club a season later, which without the first Ipswich tie I very much doubt would have happened.

lionel perez stu
ockers

Return to General Discussion