Alcohol, and binge drinking

Re: Alcohol, and binge drinking

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:27 pm

DawZi wrote:
sad and it's ripped the heart out of what was once a thriving town centre social scene.

Morecambe night life thriving was when everybody from round here even Lancaster use to all come down and drink in up until 1995ish, and as never recovered since, it as no comparison now to such a superb city to live in(all be it by Morecambe council tax payers help :evil: )

but am not going to start going on about the good old days and when Morcambe had its own council

Alot of that started after the fight that took place when the "Bradford landladys" and the "Liverpool dockers" were in town. Celebrating firemen from Carnforth had a disagreement with the dockers and all hell broke loose and even the police got involved in fisticuffs.

The week after, and for the rest of the "summer", Morecambe was "policed" by numerous mounted police who were not bothered if the horse "accidentlly knocked" someone.
I was out and about around that time and the heavy handedness of the police put me off going out in Morecambe. The town never recovered from then in my opinion.
Don't forget it wasn't even the locals who caused the trouble.
morecambe mick

Postby George Dawes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:52 pm

yeah i seem to remember that and a few weekends after that at lot of the locals got involed with the heavy handed police and a lot! of people got arrested and sentenced, it was called in the Visitor as the "Morecambe riot"

but now i think it was a coincidence at the same time Lancaster night life was on the up with the increasing amount of students as Lancaster & the University is a happening place for young people
George Dawes

Postby Gnasher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:26 pm

I think some people have their own reasons for banning cheap booze from supermarkets :lol:

DSC00537.jpg
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Peter wrote:Only if Doris can get a few words in too ;)
I'm not sure we'll be there though.
I'm working 4 on 2 off, and while I'm off on that Saturday I'm at work at 0700 on Sunday.
Me and Doris enjoy a bit of social imbibing before and after the game, and a stop-over.
So I'd not get back home for work, nor be fit to do it
But I'll work on swapping a shift.

Sorted Keith, we'll be there.
Over to you ;)
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Not over to me, over to Ockers, he's the one who dishes out the Morecambe Player invites! I'm sure yours will be sent off pretty quick...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion