O/T Benefit Busters C4

O/T Benefit Busters C4

Postby Christies Child » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Anybody watched the first 2 episodes of this programme?

As somebody desperately looking to get back into work, I watched in horror at the attitude of some of my fellow unemployed.

No wonder that many people view all those on benefit (including JSA) as spongers on the state. I just hope that they are the miniority......'cause there is no way that I want to be associated with that lot! Call me a snob....but they disgusted me.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Benefit Busters C4

Postby Mighty Red » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Snob.
Mighty Red

Postby Christies Child » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Mighty Red wrote:Snob.

Cheers!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:13 pm

If they earn more on benefits than in a minimum wage job, there's no surprise they're reluctant to work.

Fault surely lies with the state as well as the people on benefits.
campdave

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:25 pm

campdave wrote:If they earn more on benefits than in a minimum wage job, there's no surprise they're reluctant to work.

Self respect?

I know I'm usually shot down for being a lefty on here but I do think that people should have more pressure on them to prove they're trying to get work in order to receive benefits.
durhamshrimp

Postby campdave » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:36 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:
campdave wrote:If they earn more on benefits than in a minimum wage job, there's no surprise they're reluctant to work.

Self respect?

I know I'm usually shot down for being a lefty on here but I do think that people should have more pressure on them to prove they're trying to get work in order to receive benefits.

If someone offered me the same money to sit on my arse as I earnt when working, I'd be sitting on my arse thanks.
campdave

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:40 pm

I don't know the exact amounts but....

if minimum wage is something like 5.50 an hour and JSA is something like £80 a week, you would only need to do 20 hour weeks to be earning well over the JSA.

I think the government have done a lot over the last few years as far as minimum wage is concerned.

edit.. just checked , JSA is £60.50 a week.
min wage for over 22 is £5.73.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby outsider » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:44 pm

As well as JSA you have to take into account council tax relief, housing benefit, free school dinners for kids if you have them, free glasses, free dental treatment etc, so saying £5.50 is only 20 hrs work is a bit simplistic.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby George Dawes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:54 pm

a lot boils down to having to many foreigners under-cutting and working for peanuts

so the british working class, struggle to find a steady income, and thus give them i cant be arsed attitude

but the one thing i dont agree with what i think makes some people lazy is letting people buy there council houses dirt cheap off the local town hall

how about if you want your own house get a job and buy one, and leave your council house for somebody what really needs one and preferably not foreigners who are continuously jumping the council list queue because the town hall dont want to be seen as and racist, because we have a society hell bent on political correct

let them wait there turn like everyone else!! we are 2nd class citezens
George Dawes

Postby campdave » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:05 pm

DawZi wrote: preferably not foreigners who are continuously jumping the council list queue because the town hall dont want to be seen as and racist, because we have a society hell bent on political correct

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... article.do
campdave

Postby George Dawes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:18 pm

campdave wrote:
DawZi wrote: preferably not foreigners who are continuously jumping the council list queue because the town hall dont want to be seen as and racist, because we have a society hell bent on political correct

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... article.do

a inlaw of mine works at preston town hall, the feedback i get sounds like a different kettle of fish there
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:35 pm

I think I'd want a bit more evidence than 'an in-law works in a place where someone in a different department told her that a friend knows someone who...' before I disbelieved an independent study that demonstrates the contrary to be true.

As for those bloody foreigners, coming over here with their work ethic... in my last job we had about 50% of the care staff were Filipino. When someone phoned in sick, so cover was needed at short notice, if you rang a 'non-Filipino' they would probably come in but they'd invariably have a face on them all day and tell you repeatedly what they had planned and how they were doing you a great favour. Phone a Filipino and ask them to cover and they'd say "sure, do you need me straight away or do I have time for a shower?" then arrive with a smile on their face. And at no point did they 'undercut' the working class, they get paid the same.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:41 pm

They should be made to put something back into the community.
What they were doing in those classrooms was pathetic.
Create working parties, doing something constructive, that benefits us all.
Make it competitive.
A lot of these people have lost all their self-esteem, and many never had it in the first place.
Give them a goal, a challenge.

All these young mums on benefits should be part of childrens groups, which they run themselves, albeit with supervision.
5 mums look after 15 children, and the other 10 then form part of what I've mentioned above.
Alternate the caring responsibility, to increase the fun.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Just pinched this. Not far off the mark.

What a scary insight into the mentality and the methods of the unemployed and those in the private sector being awarded huge contracts to try and get them back into work.

I thought we just had an army of civil servants down the job centre doing all this, but now it appears we have scarcely plausible businesses, working effectively on commission, trying to get people back to work by rounding them up, putting them in a classroom, letting them read the Daily Star and having them build bridges out of rolled up newspaper and cellotape

I reckon the cost of their benefits could well be dwarfed by the cost of the public sector namby pambying and the private sector buzz word and psychobabble extravaganza that is seemingly directed at totally deaf ears and lazy arses

Even the ones actually looking for a job were getting hacked off by the inanity of it all.
Plain Peter

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:37 pm

As mentioned by Camp Dave and a few others, it's not the people but the system that is at fault. I work for a private training company who deals with New Deal clients from the Job Centre and many people I meet live fairly comfortable lifes without ever having to work. Yes, they need to jump through hoops by applying for so many jobs a week but it is quite easy to just apply for jobs they are never going to even get an interview - often which they are completely unsuitable or at the other end of the country.

A fairer system would be for a personal advisor to find a suitable job for them and to make them go on a one-weeks work trial. If it works-out then great, they get a paid job. If they fall short, but make an effort then they stay on benefits until another oppotunity comes-up. If they don't give a damn, then stop paying-out JSA.

The problem with this idea is that the Job Centre simply doesn't have the staff these days to deal with eveyone individually and would rather just keep handing-out the benefits to people who could easily be working. :roll:
Wild Bill

Postby Number 1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:45 pm

CC is not "Unemployed" he is a "Resting Professional".
Number 1

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 pm

campdave wrote:If someone offered me the same money to sit on my arse as I earnt when working, I'd be sitting on my arse thanks.

Well that's a decision comes down to the moral fibre and self worth of the individual.
durhamshrimp

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:52 pm

DawZi wrote:a lot boils down to having to many foreigners under-cutting and working for peanuts

so the british working class, struggle to find a steady income, and thus give them i cant be arsed attitude

but the one thing i dont agree with what i think makes some people lazy is letting people buy there council houses dirt cheap off the local town hall

how about if you want your own house get a job and buy one, and leave your council house for somebody what really needs one and preferably not foreigners who are continuously jumping the council list queue because the town hall dont want to be seen as and racist, because we have a society hell bent on political correct

Is this a joke? I presume from the tone it's written in that it is.
durhamshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 pm

I don't need to go to work.
But I'd get bored if I didn't.
Should I feel guilty that I may be depriving someone of a job?
Plain Peter

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Peter wrote:I don't need to go to work.
But I'd get bored if I didn't.
Should I feel guilty that I may be depriving someone of a job?

No
durhamshrimp

Postby Posh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 pm

DawZi wrote:a lot boils down to having to many foreigners under-cutting and working for peanuts

Only thing worse than a racist is a lazy racist.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Curly » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Posh wrote:

Only thing worse than a racist is a lazy racist.

I am the only one who saw the documentary exposing the fact that A4e were more
concerned with getting people to take jobs that lasted two weeks or sign zero hour
(non guaranteed weekly hours) contracts, in an effort to massage the unemployment
figures, reaching there quotas and then possibly requalifying for another £700 million
pounds of tax payers money to continue there good work assisting the unemployed
to look at page 3 or make something from newspaper and sellotape?
"Why aren't they all queueing outside McDonalds...etc"
Because McDonalds don't have 2.4million vacancies!
I wonder what would happen if everyone worked for McDonalds?
Maybe someone could try the experiment on SIM CITY and send there findings to A4e :roll:

A friend of mine went on a course like these a few years ago, and the head of the course
said they could bring in games on the last day!
Says it all doesn't it?
If not, over to Enoch :roll:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby harrymfc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:06 am

Isn't this meant to be a football forum ?? ..
harrymfc

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:12 am

DawZi wrote:

a inlaw of mine works at preston town hall, the feedback i get sounds like a different kettle of fish there

I'll take an official verified report over hearsay thanks.
campdave

Postby George Dawes » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:39 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... mping.html

i thought it was common knowledge, but obviously not
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion