The man who saved Morecambe FC

The man who saved Morecambe FC

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 pm

An excellent article in todays Visitor by Greg Lambert.

Discusses in depth the work of Jack Orkney in his determination in keeping the club alive in the 50's.

His son John although based in South Africa provided the background for this article. He evidently still has a lot of old memorabilia that he intends to donate to the club one day. Maybe a showcase of such bits and pieces from other sources as well could be incorporated into some visual display in the new stadium?

I remember the days when the club used to raffle a new car every month..how things have changed.

Just a thought, maybe in the new stadium the naming one of the stands in his memory would be a fitting tribute to Jack who, by the sounds of it, ensured the future of our club all those decades ago..
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: The man who saved Morecambe FC

Postby shrimper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Christies Child wrote:An excellent article in todays Visitor by Greg Lambert.

Discusses in depth the work of Jack Orkney in his determination in keeping the club alive in the 50's.

His son John although based in South Africa provided the background for this article. He evidently still has a lot of old memorabilia that he intends to donate to the club one day. Maybe a showcase of such bits and pieces from other sources as well could be incorporated into some visual display in the new stadium?

I remember the days when the club used to raffle a new car every month..how things have changed.

Just a thought, maybe in the new stadium the naming one of the stands in his memory would be a fitting tribute to Jack who, by the sounds of it, ensured the future of our club all those decades ago..

To be fair I think there were quite a few men who worked very hard to keep the club going in various eras and serve it diligently, often without personal reward. Bob Altham, Benny Birchall, George Newsham and a lot more all played their parts as did others who are still knocking about today and are well known to us, like Rod Taylor and Ken Ormerod among others.

It was just that John approached us with this particular story.

If we're singling out individuals then JB's still the one.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ezz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:17 pm

If I ever get super rich, I'll buy MFC or just give them a nice transfer budget.
Ahh if I ever get rich :cry:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 pm

ezz wrote:If I ever get super rich, I'll buy MFC or just give them a nice transfer budget.
Ahh if I ever get rich :cry:

There is an intresting thing. If you had the money would you just hndover a large amount and tell Samy to get on with it and buy who he likes or would you prefer for your money to be spent on the infrastructure of the club.

I don't think I could just hand over the money for transfers incase it got wasted on a few rubbish signings (that's why I could never be a chairman) however I would quite happily give them money to spend on say a training ground etc
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:06 pm

however I would quite happily give them money to spend on say a training ground etc....

Arn't we getting some sort of training facillity at the new stadium? :?
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:35 pm

This is something I've thought about when the 'balls' come out with the correct numbers.

What I'd do would be to purchase the club their own superior team coach which could also be used as a money earner for the club during the week for luxury use by companies or whatever.

It would save the club a fortune in the cost of hiring suitable travel.

I suppose I'd also ensure that it was fueled...mind you it would have to be at the new Sainsbury garage so that I could get my Nectar points. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby ezz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 pm

If I had that kind of money P/T indie I wouldn't care haha. I'd just donate some money or buy the club.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby ockers » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 am

Excellent article in the Visitor and just this morning from feedback in the opening match programme from Brian Pratt up in Newcastle a cracking old visitor picture from 1962 of the double winning side we will feature in the end of era feature this season
ockers

Return to General Discussion