The Academy

The Academy

Postby D-EZ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:45 pm

After attending Morecambe academys friendly against Lancaster today i'm beginning to become extremely worried. If this is the future of the club then as it stands we shall be going no where. There was no quality, no passion, just a bunch of unruly kids mouthing off and swearing wanting to kick lumps out of each other. A disgrace to the name of Morecambe F.C, a friendly club, occured during the second half when one of our players punched a Lancaster player in what ended up being a heated encouter.

Morecambes number 10 managed to take both goals he scored well which was a positive but overall Lancaster looked the stronger, better team. Hopefully it's just pre season blues. (Y)

The game finished Lancaster 2 - 2 Morecambe
D-EZ

Re: The Academy

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:57 pm

D-EZ wrote:A disgrace to the name of Morecambe F.C, a friendly club, occured during the second half when one of our players punched a Lancaster player in what ended up being a heated encouter.

He must have been being a dick 8-)
Bare Ben

Postby D-EZ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Haha maybe, still, should be acting professional when their representing our club.
D-EZ

Postby eggchaser » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 pm

I used to go to Lancaster and Morecambe college which is where the academy were based and pretty much every single football player wether they were the first choice striker or fourth choice striker in the reserve side they were all cocky loud mouth idiots who thought they were cristiano ronaldo or fernando torres, funnily enough the only two lads that were decent players and really nice guys got given contracts (matty poole & Ben Jackson).

Although being a Rugby player I do have a pretty biased view towards footballers in general, I have to agree that theres not much talent coming through the ranks at the moment and It's worrying times. we haven't produced a Local first team squad player since gary hunter and that was over 5 years ago! :| :|
Football is a gentleman's game, played by thugs
and Rugby is a thug's game, played by gentleman
eggchaser

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Who was the last genuine home grown player man utd or arsenal produced??
PUNKISDEAD

Postby eggchaser » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:45 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Who was the last genuine home grown player man utd or arsenal produced??

I see the point your trying to make but its completely irrelavent we can't compare ourselves to man utd or arsenal, they have the resources to buy whoever they want so the need for a local player isn't as important as it may have been 10 years ago, however in morecambe's case we don't have the resources to sign top quality players year in year out so the need to produce good home grown talent is vital for the team to progress, it may be that they play for two or three seasons and then get snapped up by a bigger club for a considerable transfer fee and thats all revenue that can be used to further the club
eggchaser

Postby Harry » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 pm

We aren't going to have 11 stars in the making a year in our teams, and the Academy isn't our only source of players! I agree it'd be nice to have more of our 'own' players coming through but hopefully that's what the better facilities at the new stadium will encourage.
Harry

Postby D-EZ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:22 pm

Completely agree with the above post. Lancaster look to have the brighter future after todays performance, they seemed a step ahead at all times. Morecambe took both their goals well with an elemant of luck in both. I pray things are sorted soon because the boys over the lune will begin to break through very, very soon. Maybe our academy should sign some of Lancasters players? How would we go about that?
D-EZ

Postby footballfan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 am

People should really stop calling it an academy, when it is a development centre. I know its just a saying, but in the past it has caused problems when clubs in local youth football have gone to tournements and have had to spend time pacifying organisers that other managers do not understand the difference between Development Centres, Centres of Excellence and the afore mentioned Academy. Just something that gets under my skin, because alot of fans actually believe we run an academy at Morecambe when it is not true. Rant over
footballfan

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 am

D-EZ wrote:After attending Morecambe academys friendly against Lancaster today i'm beginning to become extremely worried. If this is the future of the club then as it stands we shall be going no where. There was no quality, no passion, just a bunch of unruly kids mouthing off and swearing wanting to kick lumps out of each other. A disgrace to the name of Morecambe F.C, a friendly club, occured during the second half when one of our players punched a Lancaster player in what ended up being a heated encouter.

Morecambes number 10 managed to take both goals he scored well which was a positive but overall Lancaster looked the stronger, better team. Hopefully it's just pre season blues. (Y)

haven't you spelt Penrith wrong ?
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby sw1980 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:51 am

This is exactly a point ive made previously!! sammy mcilroy nevr and will never give the youth team the time of day! one manager did - and put a brilliant structure in place at this club! take a bow Mr Harvey!

sammy mcilroy - not got a clue
sw1980

Postby Dazzer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 am

I don't think Sammy makes any secret of the fact that when it comes to new blood in the squad he looks to players with experiance rather than youngsters. I'ts possibly as a result of that, that the youth set up doesn't get the investment, in time and money that it once did.
Dazzer

Postby Christies Child » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:47 am

Jh said after his departure to a number of people that the days of our club producing home made talent where over and that the Youth teams would no longer the force they once had been.

Sammy relies too much on so called 'proven' experience. And yet of all those 'proven' players who has actually excelled? Not many that's for sure.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby D-EZ » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
D-EZ wrote:After attending Morecambe academys friendly against Lancaster today i'm beginning to become extremely worried. If this is the future of the club then as it stands we shall be going no where. There was no quality, no passion, just a bunch of unruly kids mouthing off and swearing wanting to kick lumps out of each other. A disgrace to the name of Morecambe F.C, a friendly club, occured during the second half when one of our players punched a Lancaster player in what ended up being a heated encouter.

haven't you spelt Penrith wrong ?

No, it's an area in North Wales where the majority of my family live.
D-EZ

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:13 pm

footballfan wrote:People should really stop calling it an academy, when it is a development centre. I know its just a saying, but in the past it has caused problems when clubs in local youth football have gone to tournaments and have had to spend time pacifying organisers that other managers do not understand the difference between Development Centres, Centres of Excellence and the afore mentioned Academy. Just something that gets under my skin, because allot of fans actually believe we run an academy at Morecambe when it is not true. Rant over

No need to rant about it!

I agree with you.

It's more of a college course, than an "academy".

Similar with the Morecambe Youth Football teams, nothing to do with the club.
Yet when teams have gone to tournaments people think they are "Morecambe Football Clubs" elite.

I suspect that when the club move into their new ground they will ask/tell MYFC to change their name as they will probably want to run their own youth teams.
morecambe mick

Postby Number 1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:27 pm

That's a disgrace. One of the fundemental things that should be taught to the youth players is one of respecting referees and opponents. In all fairness from what I see of Dickie Danson when he's knocking about he strikes me as someone who would try and instill this in the players, but I'm not sure about the rest of the coaches as I don't know them. Sounds very poor though does that. If they wear the football club badge, then someone needs to be having a word.
Number 1

Postby ALAN1540 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:40 pm

This is my first post on here so am not sure what protocol or etiquette is so apologies first.

The Lancaster and Morecambe College Acedemy has 2 sides, 1st and 2nd years.

The 1st years have played 3 friendlies a) College u19 side, Preston city side age group up 2 30+
c) Lancaster city. Both teams played in Ireland representing Morecambe FC the 1st years never having played together before and between both teams took 2 of five honours on offer, they also behaved in an exemplary manner. The 2nd years season has started 2 (won 1 lost 1).

A couple of the lancaster lads trialed and either failed or decided to go to 6th form this time, this does not debar them from the "acedemy". Those that join college in Sept on development can still end up on "Acedemy". Only 4 local lads trialled succesfully out of 11+ put forward(only 2 of those 4 were available Sunday)

The kids might come across as cocky but I can assure you all of them are extremely proud to represent Morecambe FC either in the North west Alliance or Puma Leagues. All of these 1st years have individual skill but as yet are NOT a TEAM that is up to Adrian and co.

Hopefully when (if) the school of excellence gets under way it will sort out the confusion in name and role)

Discipline Adrian Dicky Peter and Livs instil the required discipline (see Ireland). All these 16 YEAR OLDS have other things on there mind ie Thursday GCSE (which can affect the Dip Course, moving from home into digs (with other families) Thier parents offer 110% support some driving 400 mile plus per week pre training.

Finally the on pitch altercation. D-EZ you say you were at Giant Axe yet make no mention of what was said to cause that reaction (personally I think the morecambe lad was exceptionally restrained), ARE YOU TOSH IN DISGUISE???? (that should give you some idea what was said), YOU EITHER DIDNT HEAR IT, TOLERATE IT OR EVEN ACTIVELY ENCOURAGE THAT SORT OF THING. Hopefully Adrian will not appeal the red card and will use this disgraceful and distasteful comment the LCFC lad used as a training tool, as these lads are ALL under 17 and realise that they are not guaranteed to "make it" but are grateful for the opportunity. Some of these lads have knocked back YTS at Championship level or 1 year contracts to be at Morecambe. All of these lads that were succesful at trials and those that wernt were recommended by various managers, either at league level or community teams
ALAN1540

Postby D-EZ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:30 pm

ALAN1540 wrote:This is my first post on here so am not sure what protocol or etiquette is so apologies first.

The Lancaster and Morecambe College Acedemy has 2 sides, 1st and 2nd years.

The 1st years have played 3 friendlies a) College u19 side, Preston city side age group up 2 30+
c) Lancaster city. Both teams played in Ireland representing Morecambe FC the 1st years never having played together before and between both teams took 2 of five honours on offer, they also behaved in an exemplary manner. The 2nd years season has started 2 (won 1 lost 1).

A couple of the lancaster lads trialed and either failed or decided to go to 6th form this time, this does not debar them from the "acedemy". Those that join college in Sept on development can still end up on "Acedemy". Only 4 local lads trialled succesfully out of 11+ put forward(only 2 of those 4 were available Sunday)

The kids might come across as cocky but I can assure you all of them are extremely proud to represent Morecambe FC either in the North west Alliance or Puma Leagues. All of these 1st years have individual skill but as yet are NOT a TEAM that is up to Adrian and co.

Hopefully when (if) the school of excellence gets under way it will sort out the confusion in name and role)

Discipline Adrian Dicky Peter and Livs instil the required discipline (see Ireland). All these 16 YEAR OLDS have other things on there mind ie Thursday GCSE (which can affect the Dip Course, moving from home into digs (with other families) Thier parents offer 110% support some driving 400 mile plus per week pre training.

Finally the on pitch altercation. D-EZ you say you were at Giant Axe yet make no mention of what was said to cause that reaction (personally I think the morecambe lad was exceptionally restrained), ARE YOU TOSH IN DISGUISE???? (that should give you some idea what was said), YOU EITHER DIDNT HEAR IT, TOLERATE IT OR EVEN ACTIVELY ENCOURAGE THAT SORT OF THING. Hopefully Adrian will not appeal the red card and will use this disgraceful and distasteful comment the LCFC lad used as a training tool, as these lads are ALL under 17 and realise that they are not guaranteed to "make it" but are grateful for the opportunity. Some of these lads have knocked back YTS at Championship level or 1 year contracts to be at Morecambe. All of these lads that were succesful at trials and those that wernt were recommended by various managers, either at league level or community teams

Don't you dare condone that behaviour. I was stood close to the incident with two very well respected figures in Lancashire football and I'm sure that if we didn't hear it, you didn't. Are you the players father? If you are be disgraced that because of your sons behaviour your willing to drag another players reputation down with him with that disgusting assault. I'm a Morecambe fan and always will be, but that is not acceptable, and for our fellow fans to accuse an innocent player of such unacceptable behaviour is ridiculous and pathetic. It was a heated encounter and one player over reacted. I'm sure it's the player himself which told you that, that was said? Act your age.
D-EZ

Postby ALAN1540 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Please do not get me wrong

I do not condone the lads reaction (but do understand it especially at thier age). His reaction was OTT but I put that down to inexperience and immaturity. But it did spoil what could have been an enjoyable game

No I am not the lads dad and I am not attempting to excuse his reaction. But do sympathise with it.

What really does disgust me (hence my reply) is an attempt to sledge another player in that manner.

If you agree or disagree is irrelevant to me. If the ref had have heard it then 2 red cards would have been issued, but please please do not tell me what I heard or not.
ALAN1540

Postby mfcbro » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:39 pm

I dont generally get involved with heated debates but i was also in attendance at the game on Sunday and was sat in the main stand probably as close if not closer than the two of you.Ididnt hear any abuse and have known the lancaster player since 7 a side days.There was a bit of pushing and shoving 50-50 and then the morecambe player threw a punch.Not acceptable for any reason in any standard of football regardless of what was said.If you are referring to the racist incident at christie,i may be wrong but this lad doesnt even know the guy,but what ever was said it didnt require a punch in the face.
mfcbro

Postby D-EZ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:04 pm

ALAN1540 wrote:Please do not get me wrong

I do not condone the lads reaction (but do understand it especially at thier age). His reaction was OTT but I put that down to inexperience and immaturity. But it did spoil what could have been an enjoyable game

No I am not the lads dad and I am not attempting to excuse his reaction. But do sympathise with it.

What really does disgust me (hence my reply) is an attempt to sledge another player in that manner.

If you agree or disagree is irrelevant to me. If the ref had have heard it then 2 red cards would have been issued, but please please do not tell me what I heard or not.

With there being no proof of the comment being said, can you please refrain from tarnashing a young boys footballing career. I don't know either players to comment on their background etc. But at that age fighting may be common, but i'm pretty damn sure that racism isn't. If my son was to ever use racism on the football pitch his career would be over in an instant. I also beleive that both Lancaster and Morecambe managers would not condomn racism in any way what so ever. It's an embarassment to these people to even suggest that either player was racist.
D-EZ

Postby shrimper » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:10 pm

In an attempt to arbitrate...
out of all this, let's take the claims and counter claims away.

Alan says that instead of appealing the red card Morecambe will be using the general nature of the incident as a learning tool for the young players which, surely, is the right thing to do.

IE - even if the lad 'claimed' that something untoward was said (and this is denied anyway)you don't react like you did, because that's not acceptable and, just as importantly, dealing with things that are said to you during matches and handling them in the correct way, is part of your development as a footballer and as a person.

If nothing untoward was said then a violent outburst is obviously unacceptable but it is also unacceptable even if something WAS said and that is what the lad needs to learn.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby footballfan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:19 pm

eggchaser wrote:I used to go to Lancaster and Morecambe college which is where the academy were based and pretty much every single football player wether they were the first choice striker or fourth choice striker in the reserve side they were all cocky loud mouth idiots who thought they were cristiano ronaldo or fernando torres, funnily enough the only two lads that were decent players and really nice guys got given contracts (matty poole & Ben Jackson).

Although being a Rugby player I do have a pretty biased view towards footballers in general, I have to agree that theres not much talent coming through the ranks at the moment and It's worrying times. we haven't produced a Local first team squad player since gary hunter and that was over 5 years ago! :| :|

Aaron Taylor is from where exactly?
footballfan

Postby eggchaser » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:32 pm

eggchaser wrote:we haven't produced a Local first team squad player since gary hunter and that was over 5 years ago!

footballfan wrote:Aaron Taylor is from where exactly?

Aaron Taylor is sat on the bench at barrow and not in our squad, so he cannot be classed as a squad player, he's a promising younster but not the type of player that I'm talking about.
eggchaser

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:02 pm

morecambe mick wrote:
footballfan wrote:People should really stop calling it an academy, when it is a development centre. I know its just a saying, but in the past it has caused problems when clubs in local youth football have gone to tournaments and have had to spend time pacifying organisers that other managers do not understand the difference between Development Centres, Centres of Excellence and the afore mentioned Academy. Just something that gets under my skin, because allot of fans actually believe we run an academy at Morecambe when it is not true. Rant over

No need to rant about it!

I agree with you.

It's more of a college course, than an "academy".

Similar with the Morecambe Youth Football teams, nothing to do with the club.
Yet when teams have gone to tournaments people think they are "Morecambe Football Clubs" elite.

I suspect that when the club move into their new ground they will ask/tell MYFC to change their name as they will probably want to run their own youth teams.

yo can appy to do this 'course' at college regardless of your ability to play football
heysham_mfc

Next

Return to General Discussion