O/T Wireless connection HELP

O/T Wireless connection HELP

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 am

I'm clueless when it comes to technical things such as Wireless connection for my PC and Lap Top...hence why I'm seeking help yet again! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I got a technician to connect a wireless router for me as I wouldn't have a clue what to do if things went wrong. Unfortunately it appears that there is a problem somewhere in the system that will not allow a router to be installed, something to do with a power circle that keeps 'crashing' and 'blowing' the router...the technicians words!

As a result, the technician is now looking into an alternative means of enabling both my PC and Lap Top to have access to the web at the same time. He's considering a Network Access Point as an alternative means of connection. If i understand correctly it does away with the actual wireless router.

Can anybody provide some more info on this alternative?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Wireless connection HELP

Postby nobbyshrimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 am

I know the feeling :!: I usually find this very useful though, leave a question and await an answer.
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/index.php?
nobbyshrimp

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:52 am

Lots of info on Wireless Networks here, hope this helps.

http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/wireless1.html

A quote from a BT site,

The Instant Wireless Network Access Point is used to connect a wireless network to a wired network, assuming you have one. BTopenworld's own documents suggest that if you have a USB ADSL modem, you don't bother with an access point and simply use ad-hoc wireless networking. In an ad-hoc wireless LAN there is no access point and each node communicates directly with each other node. This limits the number of machines you can have in an ad-hoc network (in the case of the Linksys kit the limit is four), but does mean that you just buy a wireless network adapter for each system, saving yourself some money.

So it sounds like instead of having a wireless router at the source of your phone line, you have a main pc hooked up to a conventional internet ether cable and you run your other PC's/Laptops off that point using a Wireless Network. I think.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 pm

a problem somewhere in the system that will not allow a router to be installed,

You unplug whatever you have connected from your PC to the phone line.

You plug in the router.

You configure the router, usually from a CD if it isn't pre-configured and nearly always with an easy to use wizard.

You relax and surf the internet from the far end of the garden with a pint.

"Power circle" sounds more like a problem with your mains wiring, although I've never heard that phrased used before.
Phoenix

Return to General Discussion