Players today

Players today

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 pm

At 3-00 this afternoon the majority of the first team squad were trooping off the promenade and into "The Eric Bartholomew" accompanied by Mark Lillis. The lads were dressed in holiday shorts and flip flops so obviously a rest day.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Re: Players today

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:At 3-00 this afternoon the majority of the first team squad were trooping off the promenade and into "The Eric Bartholomew" accompanied by Mark Lillis. The lads were dressed in holiday shorts and flip flops so obviously a rest day.

while Sammy was still hard at work down at Christie :o
heysham_mfc

Postby mfcbro » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:58 am

Team bonding session,having a meal at the crown.New player in attendance Mark Bostick.
mfcbro

Postby Morecamber » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:38 am

Any details on this player as I can't find anything on the internet at all?
Morecamber

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:54 am

Saw most of the players in Lancaster town centre at 8.00pm and some seemed very drunk indeed. Maybe this is called team building, but to me they were behaving like a bunch of yobs, shouting, swearing, smoking and falling about the place. Then it was into a takeway for a kabab and then back on the beer.

Is this acceptable? Morecambe are not a pub team and some of the players, especially the new ones need to realise this. When they are out they represent the club and the town itself. I doubt Sammy would have been happy if he saw them. They are also supposed to be athletes and beer, cigarettes and junk food isn't going to improve their performance on the pitch. :evil:
Wild Bill

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Saw most of the players in Lancaster town centre at 8.00pm and some seemed very drunk indeed. Maybe this is called team building, but to me they were behaving like a bunch of yobs, shouting, swearing, smoking and falling about the place. Then it was into a takeway for a kabab and then back on the beer.

Is this acceptable? Morecambe are not a pub team and some of the players, especially the new ones need to realise this. When they are out they represent the club and the town itself. I doubt Sammy would have been happy if he saw them. They are also supposed to be athletes and beer, cigarettes and junk food isn't going to improve their performance on the pitch. :evil:

Disgraceful!

less than 2 weeks from the start of the season and they are abusing their bodies like this! it is not the image of a professional sportsman which i would expect from a Football league player.

You should make a commitment to yourself when you become a professional sportmans, not to abuse your health, smoking is just idiotic! when your an ahlete, boozing and eating junk this far into pre season should not even cross your mind. I hope this is a one off and isn't repeated again before or during the season. :evil:
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm

North Stand Shrimp wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:Saw most of the players in Lancaster town centre at 8.00pm and some seemed very drunk indeed. Maybe this is called team building, but to me they were behaving like a bunch of yobs, shouting, swearing, smoking and falling about the place. Then it was into a takeway for a kabab and then back on the beer.

Disgraceful!

less than 2 weeks from the start of the season and they are abusing their bodies like this! it is not the image of a professional sportsman which i would expect from a Football league player.

You should make a commitment to yourself when you become a professional sportmans, not to abuse your health, smoking is just idiotic! when your an ahlete, boozing and eating junk this far into pre season should not even cross your mind. I hope this is a one off and isn't repeated again before or during the season. :evil:

Maybe this is why most of our squad wont ever play at a higher level.

OK, you think its fine for our well-paid players to go around acting like anti-social numpties but I think they need grow-up a bit. Didn't Stanley get put on the transfer list for something drink related or was it something else?
Wild Bill

Postby Posh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm not so bothered about a bit of team-building before the season, even if it involved a few drinks. However they do have a responsbility to the community in which they play to create the best possible impression. And this sadly doesn't.

As a former smoker I find it astonishing that any player would ever smoke, as I know how it restricted my breathing. However an article in this edition of Observer Sport Monthly proved that smoking is still to be found at the highest levels of sport.

E.g. from the Daily Mirror. A certain potato-faced young man.

VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Morecamber wrote:Any details on this player as I can't find anything on the internet at all?

Stick at it mate, but if you don't find out, I'm sure you wont fall apart......!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:05 pm

Wild Bill wrote:OK, you think its fine for our well-paid players to go around acting like anti-social numpties but I think they need grow-up a bit. Didn't Stanley get put on the transfer list for something drink related or was it something else?

No I don't think thats ok either. as ambassadors for our club they should be on their best behaviour when in town in a group.

I can't find anything at all on this Mark Bostick fella either!

CC. the glue maker is Bostik, spelt slightly differently but very funny anyway. :lol:
North Stand Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:12 pm

its ok for the player to have a night out maybe a few drinks but there is a point when you have to say enough is enough :evil:
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm

heysham_mfc wrote: but there is a point when you have to say enough is enough :evil:

Yeah about 4am normally, although wouldnt actually be able to say it
:lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:28 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:its ok for the player to have a night out maybe a few drinks but there is a point when you have to say enough is enough :evil:

Thats my point. Sounds like the boys had been drinking since 2.00pm, so by the time I spotted them, they must have been hammered.

If it's a one off, 'go out and enjoy yourselves before the season starts,' then fair enough but if this is going to happen regularly then its only going to have a negative effect on our performances and the club's image around the local area.
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:38 pm

I can assure you that this was a 'one off' bonding session prior to the start of what will be a crucial year for the club.

Players are entitled to letting their hair down providing that it's not a regular happening.

The next time will be at their Christmas 'do'.

I've no problems at all providing that it serves its intended purpose.

They maybe professional sportsmen but they are entitled to an occassional good time like the rest of us......or do we want a load of Saints on the field.
Christies Child

Postby morecambes_robbo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:21 pm

Christies Child wrote:I can assure you that this was a 'one off' bonding session prior to the start of what will be a crucial year for the club.

Players are entitled to letting their hair down providing that it's not a regular happening.

They maybe professional sportsmen but they are entitled to an occassional good time like the rest of us......or do we want a load of Saints on the field.

Totally agree CC. There humans like the rest of us and prob dont really drink that much so get pissed easyer than us that drink regualy. hense why they seemed like they`d been on an all day bender.

When i was living in morecambe i bumped into mark lillis a few times and had a drink with him. He trains the team so does that mean hes in the wrong.

End of the day they`ve gone out as a team over a week before the first game of the season. Good for them and i hope they enjoyed themself because there going to be working there bollox off this season and prob wont get the chance to drink at all.
I havent seen that much FILA since The Business
morecambes_robbo

Postby BHmfc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:31 pm

Christies Child wrote:I can assure you that this was a 'one off' bonding session prior to the start of what will be a crucial year for the club.

Just out of curiosity CC, are you saying the above in an official capacity or is it speculation on your part, its just that when you state, " i can assure you " it's as if you are a club official. Sorry to be a pain, but clarification would be welcome.
BHmfc

Postby mfcbro » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:37 pm

I think it will be a one off,they have been training hard pre-season even in on wednesdays,even premiership players are allowed to let their hair down now and again.Like someone said it will be their last blowout till christmas.Dont see anything wrong with it myself as long as come 9th august they are fit and raring to go.Were you not invited christies?
mfcbro

Postby Neil G » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:50 pm

so get pissed easyer than us that drink regualy

I agree, who'sh roundish it ? :lol:
Neil G

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:56 pm

BHmfc wrote:

Just out of curiosity CC, are you saying the above in an official capacity or is it speculation on your part, its just that when you state, " i can assure you " it's as if you are a club official. Sorry to be a pain, but clarification would be welcome.

Confirmed by a club official to me in person this morning....and I've no reason not to believe him.

Good enough?
Christies Child

Postby BHmfc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:59 pm

Christies Child wrote:
BHmfc wrote:

Confirmed by a club official to me in person this morning....and I've no reason not to believe him.

Good enough?

Thanks, just asking.
BHmfc

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Christies Child wrote:
BHmfc wrote:

Good enough?

I think its ok if it is just a one off they should be allowed to go and have a good night out before the season starts
heysham_mfc

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:23 pm

Leave 'em alone for gods sake, who are they supposed to be setting this example to? And at 8pm at night? It's also unfair to presume that they'd been on an all day bender and that Sammy "wouldn't be happy". They are not representing the club at 8pm at night round town, they represent the football club on the pitch, not the town :? . This happens up an down the country every weekend and they are entitled just as much as the rest of us to do what they like without being judged. There are bigger things to worry about in life than a few lads having a few drinks.
Bare Ben

Postby Shire Shrimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Bare Ben wrote:they are entitled just as much as the rest of us to do what they like without being judged

Quite right Bare Ben...

...would've been nice to have been invited though! :lol:
Shire Shrimp

Postby Jody » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 pm

Do you not think if they were going on a 'bender' they'd have the sense to do it far far away from where the majority of their fans are based, and avoid SPECULATION like this.
Yes you may have seen a large group of them, and they may have been rowdy - as large groups of young men tend to be. You use the word 'seemed' when referring to their 'drunken' state. There are a lot of players within our team who do not drink, and I'm sure if you actually spoke to some of them, and not watched from a distance and presumed things, this post wouldn't have appeared on the board. Kebabs, yes they aren't the best for you, but they're fit, healthy young men and I'm sure its not going to do them the same harm as it might you. You ASSUME they were drinking from 2pm, but who's to say they didnt have a long pub lunch, a game of golf, a nap, and then went out about 8pm when you saw them? They don't necessarily have to have been drinking all day, but I'm sure if Mark went to lunch with them, then he will have been aware of the afternoons plans. And all the players will have been aware they had training bright and early next morning.
Believe it or not they are human beings, and they have lives outside football. And believe it or not, their lives outside of football are theirs to do whatever they want with. I'm sure if there were any issues, then Sammy and Mark will have addressed them in training the following morning that's what they are paid to do, not speculate as most people on here seem to be doing on the information of one person who 'saw' them. Its easy to jump to conclusions.
Jody

Postby MTID » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:57 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:its ok for the player to have a night out maybe a few drinks but there is a point when you have to say enough is enough :evil:

Thats my point. Sounds like the boys had been drinking since 2.00pm, so by the time I spotted them, they must have been hammered.

If it's a one off, 'go out and enjoy yourselves before the season starts,' then fair enough but if this is going to happen regularly then its only going to have a negative effect on our performances and the club's image around the local area.

:lol: Have you just moved back home from living abroad wildbill? I think your in for a bit of a shock because your guarenteed to see at least one player bouncing off all four walls of a club every weekend!!
MTID

Next

Return to General Discussion