PERKINS, THOMMO, BAKER ---- HIT OR MISS

PERKINS, THOMMO, BAKER ---- HIT OR MISS

Postby BHmfc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:48 pm

It's great to see 3 ex-Morecambe players in league 1 this coming season, and hopefully all 3 will be a great success, but who do you think will be a HIT or a MISS for their new clubs. My own view is -------

Perkins - I believe he will do really well with his never give up attitude and since his move to Rochdale and the midfield role he was given, he has become a better player. Talking to Dale supporters and reading match reports he was one of their better players in the last 18 months, so i will give him a HIT.

Thommo - I think it will be a long hard season for Thommo. We all know on his day he can be a match winner but due to his inconsistancy, 1 good performance in 3 is not enough. To be fair to him, he had improved under SM, but playing in front of much larger home crowds who will expect a high standard, game after game the pressure might be too much, so sorry Thommo, its a MISS.

Baker - This is going to be difficult to call. The first half of last season he was outstanding, but in the second period he was very poor. I don't know if this was due to lack off fitness/stamina or that teams had sussed him out for the return games but i believe 1 more season at Christie would have been to his benefit. SM had stated he was building a team around him so alot depends on Stockports tactics, because of this i'm going to sit on the fence and give it a HIT/MISS.
BHmfc

Re: PERKINS, THOMMO, BAKER ---- HIT OR MISS

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:55 pm

CB scored his first goal (a glancing header) last night in a 2-1 win at Macclesfield.

Work colleagues who went said that he did Ok but nothing special.

As for HIT or MISS....to be frank I couldn't care less! The Board have done a brilliant bit of business in getting what we have for him especially as his last 6 months had been questionable.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby admiral47 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 pm

You missed Danny C!
admiral47

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:20 pm

admiral47 wrote:You missed Danny C!

Unlike the others He has had a season in League one already, allbeit on the bench or in the reserves!

Perks - Hit
Thommo - Think he'll be a bit of hit and miss.
Baker - Could be hit if he works hard on fitness and beefs up a bit more. League 1 defenders will push him off the ball to easy and won't let him get away as easilly as some league 2 defenders have.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:27 pm

For me, Tommo has the best chance of making it at a higher level. Sure he has been inconsistant but he has all the qualities to play at a higher level. Morecambe had probably become too chushy a team for someone of his talent to play for. He could get away with putting in a few lazy performances because of the level he was playing at. At Scunthorpe he will need to work his socks off to stay in the team, which will no doubt be good for him. Its his big chance and I'm sure he wont want to blow it.

Not so sure about Perkins. Always gave 100% and maybe thats his problem. Cant see him having much more to give. Been a while since I saw him play though, so I could be very wrong.

Good luck to them all!
Wild Bill

Postby Neil G » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:21 pm

Christies Child wrote:CB scored his first goal (a glancing header) last night in a 2-1 win at Macclesfield.

Work colleagues who went said that he did Ok but nothing special.

As for HIT or MISS....to be frank I couldn't care less! The Board have done a brilliant bit of business in getting what we have for him especially as his last 6 months had been questionable.

I'm with you on this CC, excellent bit of business, Carl was less effective towards the end of last season and if I may say so got a little bit greedy on the ball, I think we'll be ok without last years so called star men.
Neil G

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:07 pm

.....but our defence really hasn't had the surgeons knife ...yet!

I'm still hope full of at least 1 central defender who I would trust in a small arms fight.
Somebody who knows the league and isn't afraid of taking prisoners.

Rene evidently ruffed up McStay last season.....we need somebody to rough up in the opposite direction ie to the oppositions strikers.
Christies Child

Postby mfcbro » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Who would you get rid of in defence then christies?well documented but who?
mfcbro

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:01 pm

mfcbro wrote:Who would you get rid of in defence then christies?well documented but who?

Not a case of getting rid...more a case of bringing someone in who knows the score.

Defence was a major problem last season. So surely it needs surgery?
Christies Child

Postby Jolly rog branch » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:34 pm

This has been asked before so come on then CC who do you think is the problem at the heart of the defence is it McCann Bentley or Artell as i think its far too early to bring Parrish into the equation but as i am on holiday and not seen any games i am relying on your word for this one. Plus are you happy with both the full backs we have as first choice at the moment
Jolly rog branch

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:30 am

I'm concerned about our defence as a collective unit. Too many sloppy goals. Too few clean sheets. It's a collective responsiblity to get it right otherwise the same problems will exist this season.
Christies Child

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:46 am

In the 4-4-2 pre-season guide, Wycombe fans when asked which oppostion player do they secretly admire have said Jim Bentley ............
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby John » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:28 am

What about ex-Morecambe player Joe Lewis???
John

Postby admiral47 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 pm

defensively - we definitely need more pace all-round-with the exception of Yates. Both central defenders are not keen on passing out of defence and have a tendency to go for long hopeful ballls, though very solid as a unit on their day, not sure if any of the new lads improve the defence to be honest, although they have not been tried in battle. We certainly need to keep old of Yates. I would like to have seen Grand having more games last year-I think he was written off too soon.
admiral47

Postby james456 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:50 pm

admiral47 wrote:defensively - we definitely need more pace all-round-with the exception of Yates. Both central defenders are not keen on passing out of defence and have a tendency to go for long hopeful ballls, though very solid as a unit on their day, not sure if any of the new lads improve the defence to be honest, although they have not been tried in battle. We certainly need to keep old of Yates. I would like to have seen Grand having more games last year-I think he was written off too soon.

McStay and Howard arent that slow and Parrish is fairly quick so I think we do have the option of a bit of pace in the back line. But I do agree that a new, fast centre back would certainly help. Or... maybe play a sweeper?

I agree with what you say about passing out of defence. It would be good if they would play it through the midfield a bit more. We shouldnt be hoofing the ball upfield at this level.

And I agree that yates should stay :( Or at least wait and see who out of our 3 right backs isnt performing and then make a decision based on that. It doesnt seem right that Yates should make way for an untested player who hasnt performed well in the friendlies (Mccann).
james456

Postby trueshrimp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:36 pm

we will miss carl baker and tommo, but the new signings have to pull there weight.
cant wait for start of season - all the singing and laughing with all the crowd in the north stand. - bring me sunshine - morecambe f.c.

keep the drums playing in the north stand its great. the crowd is lost with out the drumer

cant wait for nottingham forrest game.- lets get off to a good start.
trueshrimp

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Yep, lets get the atmosphere going right from the start, lots of singing, cheering, clapping and lets get the balloons and confetti thing happening again.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby trueshrimp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:11 pm

i agree with north stand shrimp- lets sing - clap - cheers - plenty of ballons - tick a tape -drums, -- show the new spectators what we can do. - so they will come back for the next game. make it fun and exciting for them of the field has well as on the field, we need our gates to increase.
trueshrimp

Return to General Discussion