work on stadium to start next week!

work on stadium to start next week!

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:01 am

heysham_mfc

Re: work on stadium to start next week!

Postby The Red Knight » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 am

Work on site will start on 10th August and the Project will deliver a Main Stand with seating for 2000, a Home Stand with a standing capacity of 2000, an Away Stand with a standing capacity of 1100 and a covered terrace opposite the Main Stand with a standing capacity of 900.

So we are now only having a 6000 capacity stadium?
The Red Knight

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:13 am

Yes I thought originally it was going to be 6500 - 7000. I am thinking the 900 terrace will be small we can get more than that in the Umbro end.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 am

The Red Knight wrote:
Work on site will start on 10th August and the Project will deliver a Main Stand with seating for 2000, a Home Stand with a standing capacity of 2000, an Away Stand with a standing capacity of 1100 and a covered terrace opposite the Main Stand with a standing capacity of 900.

Why would we want more? A half empty stadium has no character or atmosphere
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby The Red Knight » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:34 am

I didn't say we need more. Just pointing out that the stadium now seems to have decreased in capacity from the time we originally announced it.

From the Morecambe stadium site:
Stadium – A purpose built stadium with capacity for 6,800 spectators incorporating 2,100 seats with the remainder terraced. Disabled viewing areas within all four stands. Each stand has bar and catering facilities incorporated into the design. The Main Stand facilities include a 300 seat function suite, with state of the art kitchen facilities. This room can be sectioned to accommodate smaller functions. There will be six executive boxes with walk out viewing areas and integral food and bar facilities.

So what are the reasons behind the reduction in capacity then?
The Red Knight

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:41 am

What's of importance is that we have a stadium that will deliver revenue day in and day out, rather than a stadium that wil hold 7000 when realistically it will hardly ever be full to capacity.

As and when the time comes for expansion to cater for an increase in spectators on a regular basis, I'm sure that the design of the covered terrace opposite the main stand can be changed to accomodate any increase.

Far better to reduce the original capacity and to retain the importance of the revenue yielding areas than to effectively reduce the stadiums earning capacity just to retain a 7000 capacity stadium.

If this reduction in capacity is to bring the stadium on stream within a defined budget then so be it. I'd rather it came in on budget than create an overspend that would have to be financed once again by the Board.

Far better to have a smaller stadium creating 'one hell of an atmosphere' than large expances of open empty terracing.

Do we really want to emulate the Darlington experience? No thank you!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby John L » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:57 am

Christies Child wrote:If this reduction in capacity is to bring the stadium on stream within a defined budget then so be it. I'd rather it came in on budget than create an overspend that would have to be financed once again by the Board.

I agree with TRK, in that I'm a little puzzled by the sudden decrease in capacity, previously unannounced. Of course, if there's a reason for it then fine, just that nothing's been said and it is just over 10% which is quite noticeable!!!
John L

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 pm

John L wrote:
Christies Child wrote:If this reduction in capacity is to bring the stadium on stream within a defined budget then so be it. I'd rather it came in on budget than create an overspend that would have to be financed once again by the Board.

I agree with TRK, in that I'm a little puzzled by the sudden decrease in capacity, previously unannounced. Of course, if there's a reason for it then fine, just that nothing's been said and it is just over 10% which is quite noticeable!!!

My experience of such projects having worked many years ago for one of the countrys leading Architectural Groups is that what is quoted price by the Architects hardly ever is the real cost when the tendor process is completed.

Looking at the original spec for the stadium and what was delivered, it wouldn't suprise me if the cost for 'as intended' hasn't risen by a couple of million from 6 to 8. I'd rather we spent 6 on a stadium that delivered the revenue steam than 8 just to create extra space that would hardly ever be used.

This is only my interpretation for the reasoning behind the reduction in capacity.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:24 pm

the only time it will be full is if we get a big cup draw or in the play offs other than that we are not going to fill it anyway
heysham_mfc

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 pm

and I would rather us cut back on capacity and be able to keep excellant facilities in the main stand such as conference suites etc I hope we haven't had to cut back on them.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Before we all get carried away with this do you not think the figures quoted are just round figures that you can remember? - ie Home stand 2000. How many of us can remember 2324? and 1100 for the away end instead of 1120.

The League state we have to have 2000 seats so that one is easy.

That gives a total of 5444. The Stadium Website quotes 6800 in total, in which case the Terrace opposite the Main Stand (Car Wash R.I.P :lol: ) is being reduced from 1356 to 900 :roll:

Maybe they are just making room for an under cover "We've Got The Balls" :lol: :lol:

..... Or a Bike Wash :o
Last edited by marky No.1 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 pm

What would be ideal would be for the revised layout plans of the stadium to be available on SVs so that everybody is aware of the compromises that have had to be made.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Christies Child wrote:What would be ideal would be for the revised layout plans of the stadium to be available on SVs so that everybody is aware of the compromises that have had to be made.

Steady on Neil nobody has mentioned "revised layout plans" or "compromises" for that matter :?

All will become clear tonight ;) Except the sky I suppose :(

On the subject of rumours
http://www.port-vale.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 66,00.html
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:29 pm

http://www.globemsl.co.uk/globe.story.php

Interestingly they appear to be a main contractor to.....'that well known and much loved (albeit in Shrimp circles certainly) retail store Sainsbury's...' :o :o :o

Some of their projects look first rate in terms of finish and detail.
Christies Child

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:58 pm

The Red Knight wrote:

I thought one of the reasons for the new stadium was to be able to accommodate larger away followings but with just an extra 140 spaces in the away end we may still get sell-outs and miss-out on revenue. Hopefully the side terrace could be allocated if necessery though like we did against Bradford.

Losing 1000 fans in the home end for big games would also be a disadvantage and many fans may find they can't stand where they want for games such as the play-offs. If only they could move the North Stand down the road. :roll: I could understand if that's a non-starter though.

I assume with the club announcing the capacities in the press release that these are the final plans. I would have thought bolting a few extra steps on a terrace would have not cost the earth but would prove more costly if they sought to increase the capacity in the future.
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:11 pm

On average how many fans actually use the North Stand? I would suggest from looking at it on a typical match day we are talking of 1000. Why therefore build a stand with a max capacity of more than 2000 just for the odd game? In my view it doesn't make financial sence to increase its capacity on the assumption that it would be full every game. Reality tells us differently.
Christies Child

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:06 pm

I don't know the full ins and outs of all this except the obvious reduction in capacity but there must be a reason for it? I would imagine, but could be wrong, that the capacity is going to be more around the original 6,900 but when it first opens the capacity will be restricted for safety reasons until a full health+safety assessment has been completed over a number of months but I could quite easily be wrong of course but Shrewsbury restricted there attendance when they first opened as did Burton Albion (a very similar staduim to ours) who opened up and have been running with a maximum operating capacity of 6,200 until 14th July this year when after applying to the local council had it increased to 6,912 without any additional work being done.
nobbyshrimp

Postby Smeggy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:28 pm

[/quote]
I thought one of the reasons for the new stadium was to be able to accommodate larger away followings but with just an extra 140 spaces in the away end we may still get sell-outs and miss-out on revenue. Hopefully the side terrace could be allocated if necessery though like we did against Bradford.

Losing 1000 fans in the home end for big games would also be a disadvantage and many fans may find they can't stand where they want for games such as the play-offs. If only they could move the North Stand down the road. :roll: I could understand if that's a non-starter though.

I assume with the club announcing the capacities in the press release that these are the final plans. I would have thought bolting a few extra steps on a terrace would have not cost the earth but would prove more costly if they sought to increase the capacity in the future.[/quote]

I imagine any large away followings will get a larger section of the seats in the main stand. That will increase the away followers without having to move people from there regular sections.
Smeggy

Postby Curly » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:

I assume with the club announcing the capacities in the press release that these are the final plans. I would have thought bolting a few extra steps on a terrace would have not cost the earth but would prove more costly if they sought to increase the capacity in the future.

Bang on, Bill!
Once the build is finalised, it would cost a fortune to change anything.
The new Home end at 2000 will be 2/3 of what we have now but won't be any narrower,
so we lose the "top third of north stand" in the new Home end.
After talking to others who stand at the back of the north stand, we now all realise
that our view will change completely in the new Home end, being lower down. :(
I appreciate things must change/move on, for the benefit of the club, we need the move
but wish the North stand could have been moved/copied.
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby KevS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 pm

If we did get promoted looking at some of the teams in league 1 we could sell out quite a lot of the games so a higher capacity could be worthwhile
KevS

Postby nobbyshrimp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:57 am

Stop panicing. The new staduim has been well thought through for every eventuallity by the board and they have submitted applications appropriate to cover everything for not just now but the future of Morecambe Football Club. The capacity isn't important (yet) but the quality and experience for both players and fans and generating that all important extra revenue is. The future for Morecambe FC looks good!
nobbyshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:02 am

The 2000 capacity of the home end will provide one hell of an atmosphere even if only half full that's for sure.

No point in having a 3000 capacity stand with 2/3rds of it empty.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm

I am sure the ground will have been designed so if you ever need to increase the captivity it could be done without it cisting too much
heysham_mfc

Postby Curly » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:52 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:I am sure the ground will have been designed so if you ever need to increase the captivity it could be done without it cisting too much

No! we should be releasing more fans back into the wild ;) :lol: :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm

Curly wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:I am sure the ground will have been designed so if you ever need to increase the captivity it could be done without it cisting too much

No! we should be releasing more fans back into the wild ;) :lol: :lol:

execpt when we play bradford I would quite like to keep them ;)
heysham_mfc

Next

Return to General Discussion