O/T H*rveys the furniture people

O/T H*rveys the furniture people

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:46 pm

Beware....

We bought some bedroom furniture for my 18year old daughter just over 2 years ago from the above and now find that we may have to replace the whole lot as the drawer runners that came fixed to the chasis are coming away and can't be fixed or replaced.

The supplers don't want to know using the excuse that the guarantee has run out.

Am I wrong to think that bedroom furnitue that cost a few hundred quid shouldn't have developed a fault.....and NO the drawers haven't been overloaded ?

So much for customer care and service!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T H*rveys the furniture people

Postby Heysham_red » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:29 pm

is this not slander!
Heysham_red

Postby slackAlice » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Well it said he hasn't been 'overloading his drawers' , possibly subjective [an opinion]; but I can't see it being slanderous ?

Why can't the drawer runners be fixed or replaced ??

Maybe I shouldn't have asked ?
slackAlice

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:53 pm

slackAlice wrote:Well it said he hasn't been 'overloading his drawers' , possibly subjective [an opinion]; but I can't see it being slanderous ?

Why can't the drawer runners be fixed or replaced ??

Maybe I shouldn't have asked ?

That's exactly what I thought and asked but the runners are fixed permantley to the chasis at production stage and damage would be done if anybody tried to remove them when the units are fully assembled.

OK I'll take the risk..... 8-)

Sorry the manufacturer no longer is a supplier... :o

Can I have their details....? :?

Company policy states that we don't give details of suppliers... :?

But.... :shock:

Sorry...No! :cry:

Ever felt like you are hitting your head against a stone wall?
Christies Child

Postby Mighty Red » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Had a quick look on the internet, this may be of some use:
http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-s ... 38311.html

Main points:
1 It is the seller who is responsible not the manufacturer.
2 Goods should last for a reasonable time, even if they are out of the guarantee period. Most people would expect decent furniture to last more than 2 years.
3 If you get nowhere with the seller (& trading Standards) you might be able to make a claim through the Small Claims procedure.
4 If all else fails, you could always flog it on shrimpsvoices (sorry, couldn't resist).

Hope this helps.
Mighty Red

Postby Posh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:49 pm

Sorry blatant plug for client. Most of the Harveys stuff, like Neville Johnson, is pretty poor stuff. In my view your better off just going to Ikea and getting it cheaper or go to somewhere like Living Woods in Lancaster where its solid wood.

www.everythingbedrooms.co.uk
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:12 pm

Posh wrote:Sorry blatant plug for client. Most of the Harveys stuff, like Neville Johnson, is pretty poor stuff. In my view your better off just going to Ikea and getting it cheaper or go to somewhere like Living Woods in Lancaster where its solid wood.

http://www.everythingbedrooms.co.uk

In hindesight I have to agree but at the time it was the choice of my daughter that swayed it.
Christies Child

Postby Bare Ben » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:07 pm

Just because you don't like Corrie CC!! :roll: ;)
Bare Ben

Postby Number 1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:17 pm

If you go into the shop and tell them to either refund or replace the furniture because it hasn't lasted a reasonable time, and that the issue is with them, not the supplier, according to the law, then tell them that if they refuse you will take them to the small claims court for the cost of new units and expenses for the hassle, postage and phone calls. If they still refuse, then go to moneyclaim online. Also ask for the name of the manager, speak to the manager, and tell them that you'll also be contacting head office to tell them that they have been acting outside the law. Hopefully they'll shit their pants.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

It's dead easy, and you'll find that initially they will contest it so that they make you sweat, but once they receive the papers, they'll pay up.

I hate these people who think they can bully customers. You should tel them what's what!
Number 1

Postby Phoenix » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Moneyclaim.gov.uk is operated by Nottingham courts. If there's any serious dispute between the parties then they bounce it back to the local court. If you use the service make sure you understand the paperwork, get it wrong and it'll cost to correct it. If you go to the local court to file the claim, there's people around to give advice on completing the forms.
Phoenix

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 pm

Heysham_red wrote:is this not slander!

Definately not slander...

What is the difference between libel and slander?
Libel concerns the written word and material broadcast on television or radio. Slander concerns the spoken word.

What must a person or company prove in a libel or slander action?
When an individual or company brings a libel or slander action, they must show:

that the words are defamatory of them;
that the words would be understood to refer to them by even one other person; and
that the words have been published to a third party.
A libel claimant does not have to prove that the words are false or to prove that he has in fact suffered any loss. Damage is presumed. A slander claimant will need to prove that the defamatory allegations caused actual damage, unless the slander is within certain categories.

When are words defamatory?
There is no set definition of 'defamatory'. A statement may be considered to be defamatory if it tends to do any one of the following:

lower the claimant in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally;
disparage a claimant in his business, trade, office or profession;
expose the claimant to hatred, ridicule or contempt; or
cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.
Whether or not a statement has that effect is measured against the standard of the reasonable man generally and not a limited class of people who may have different standards from the majority of members of society.

Common examples of what may be considered defamatory are allegations that suggest a person is:

Immoral
Dishonest
Corrupt
Insolvent or in financial difficulties
Incompetent
The producer of shoddy goods

From Private Eye's favourite...
http://www.carter-ruck.com/FAQs/Libel%2 ... Cases.html

Personally, I'm not sure quite what that means in terms of libel, especially the "...libel claimant does not have to prove that the words are false"???
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion