whats the wetest game you have ever been to?

Re: whats the wetest game you have ever been to?

Postby Aal » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Peter wrote:Funniest game I've been to was Lancaster v Wukkington on a dark October night 3 seasons ago.
Dollies keeper sent off in the 1st minute.
Tony Sullivan comes off the bench and goes between the sticks.
His first touch is to pick the ball out of the net after the penalty.
15 minutes later Sullivan hoofed at a clearance, and the ball bobbled over his foot and into the net.
Two more goals followed, making it 0-4 at half-time.
Then the floodlights went off, never to come back on again.
The Wukkie travelling faithful weren't very amused :lol:

I was there that night. Don't recall it raining but it was the funniest!!

Good news was that Workington won the replayed game 1-0.

As for wettest what about Weymouth at home in late 2006. A real seaside derby, we won and were lucky that it was not abandoned. We always seemed to play better in the rain last seaon. :D
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:19 pm

yeah lol forget about the Weymouth game me and my mate where on the car wash all afternoon came home wet through :lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby Posh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 am

Oddly the wettest ever game I've been to was Cittadella Padova v Siena in Serie B. Two minutes to go in the first half, glorious sunny day and about 26 degrees C, and Siena score a beauty from long-range. At this point an Italian sitting next to me points to behind the goal at the other end and the sky was pitch black. About 30 seconds later the heavens opened and I've never seen rain like it. About 5 minutes after the players left the pitch for half time the entire pitch was like a lake. There must have been a couple of inches or more of rain in about 10 minutes. At the same time the wind, barely noticeable before, blew up like a storm. Most of the advertising hoardings, free standing, blew down the pitch and a giant 20 foot wide football promoting the mobile firm TIM lost its moorings, bowled its way down the ground, bounced into the Siena fans, over the way end and on to the dual carriageway at the back.

By the time the half time break was over the sun was out, sky was blue but the lake had barely receeded. The game was abandoned an hour and a half later.

The other wettest was Linfield v Glentoran. The original match was abandoned because of fog (Linfield 2-0 up) and the revised fixture was then postponed 10 minutes before kick off because of rain. Cue a Tuesday night in torrential rain and a ref who thought if he abandons it he'd get lynched. The pitch was far worse than Darlington and the game should have been abandoned. With five minutes to go Jimmy Cleary knocks the ball on, sticks in puddle, two Linfield players slide past, Cleary flicks the ball into another puddle, ball stops dead and two more Blues players completely mis-judge it, he then flicks ball into the air and volleys it into the top corner for the winner. Glentoran win 2-1 and go on to win the title by a point. 5,000 Glens singing 'Jimmy Cleary walks on water' for last five minutes and all the way home.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Previous

Return to General Discussion