Midfield...

Midfield...

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 pm

Despite the numbers of midfielders on the books, I have to say that there appears to be very little creative play to date from any of the players, old and new.

Defensively we seem all at sea at times and the problems of last year don't appear to have been resolved, despite Sammy's well documented close season priority. At times today there was a big hole between defence and attack. Balls that where played out of defence were put straight back in by Tranmere because there was nobody picking up the loose ball in midfield.

Up front I'm looking forward to Howe and O'Carroll playing together as a twin strike force.

Good to see Mr T still in a red shirt but for how much longer.

Rumour has it that a new centre half is lined up to join us on 1 August. This was evidently well documented in a footballing newspaper.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Midfield...

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Christies Child wrote:Rumour has it that a new centre half is lined up to join us on 1 August. This was evidently well documented in a footballing newspaper.

If it was "well documented" why not tell those of us who don't know about it, who this is??? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Keith wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Rumour has it that a new centre half is lined up to join us on 1 August. This was evidently well documented in a footballing newspaper.

If it was "well documented" why not tell those of us who don't know about it, who this is??? :roll:

Sorry I should have said that the player was Adam Quinn from Halifax who has had discussions with ourselves and Barnet which as an England National 11 doesn't suprise me.

http://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.co ... 5&sud=1207
Last edited by Christies Child on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby admiral47 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:31 pm

I agree with the concern re midfield today, also defensively we were sitting to far back, there appeared little desire to play passing football out of defence. I thought Stanley added some impetus in the second half today, and I think we aer a better team with Yates playing. We don't have any real flare or creative players, and I think we may well miss CB as he was never scared of seeking the ball. Pace in defence remains a concern
admiral47

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:52 pm

after today I hope we keep hold of Yatesy
heysham_mfc

Postby dave wilky » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:16 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:after today I hope we keep hold of Yatesy

agreed...he was quality today.......but who are we to say........... :roll:
dave wilky

Postby sw1980 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Totally agreed - and as you might have guessed from my previous (one) post i am not a fan of sammy mcilroy

stanners and yatesy both need to start - yet our manager cant see it

joke
sw1980

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:35 pm

sw1980 wrote:Totally agreed - and as you might have guessed from my previous (one) post i am not a fan of sammy mcilroy

stanners and yatesy both need to start - yet our manager cant see it

joke

It was only a friendly so he didnt necessarily start with his best team.

He knows what Stanners can do so he was giving others a chance but I expect Stanners to be one of the midfield when the league starts.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Adams was at fault for the first goal, and was openly blamed by the defenders.

Yates, despite being on the left, played really well, over lapping and not shirking his defensive duties.

Personally I would like to have seen more of Mr Twiss. I eagerly await a chance to see Twissy and Howe starting a game together, you just know that with Twissy's vision and passing with Howe's running and powerful shooting ability that they would tear any defence apart.

Wayne was looking lean and hungrier than ever.

Midfield was sturdier in the second half, Stanners did well. About time he was taken off the transfer list and given some stability. In my opinion.

Only Howe of the new guys showed anything that was outstanding, to my untrained eye.

Good save by Roche in the second half, but was disappointed with the lack of marking and closing down for their goals. They also missed an absolute sitter in the first half as they dominated almost the entire half.

I have only seen Tranmere and before that Preston games, so my opinions can only be based the two games that we've lost. Maybe I should stay away more :lol:

I understand that they are only friendly games and that it doesn't count until the first game of the season and that they were against teams from a higher division. Am still hopeful of a half decent season though.
morecambe mick

Postby mfcbro » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Right rant on,how can we release stanners,he has been told he can leave,one of our better players last season,no one in my opinion who we have fetched in is better.Yatesy today played out of position and had a good game,yet he can go as well?New players played 1st half but when we fetched on the trusted from last season no one can deny we played better.Mcann hasnt got a clue at right back.i.m.o.Too many changes at the same time,but then who am i to critise sammy i am only a supporter.Rant over.
mfcbro

Postby The Fury » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:28 pm

mfcbro wrote:Right rant on,how can we release stanners,he has been told he can leave,one of our better players last season,no one in my opinion who we have fetched in is better.Yatesy today played out of position and had a good game,yet he can go as well?New players played 1st half but when we fetched on the trusted from last season no one can deny we played better.Mcann hasnt got a clue at right back.i.m.o.Too many changes at the same time,but then who am i to critise sammy i am only a supporter.Rant over.

I'd rather have Drummond...seriously. Because Drummond can pass the ball forwards and Stanley can't. You could see in the second half (of which Stanley did alright in) what a difference he, Drummond, and Hunter made coupled together when contrasted with that of McLachlan and Carr's partnership. I know it's difficult to gain any sort of realistic perspective from pre-season games against superior opposition, but the first half only highlighted how negligent our midfield was off the ball. In the second period, Hunter's combative talents complimented Drummond's incisive nature perfectly, and, in my opinion, we looked much more threatening as well as sturdier. If Sammy opts for a Carr and McLachlan partnership, or even either of those with Stanley, I fear we will be overrun. Hunter and Drummond for me; little and large; young and old; Velociraptor and Brontosaurus.
The Fury

Postby shrimper » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:40 pm

I've liked the look of Carr. I think he's holding himself back a bit - took a knock early on today - but I think he's shown enough to feature prominently.

Sammy will be having a look at all of them in different combinations then will crystallise his thoughts and pick what he sees as his best side (injuries permitting) for the next couple of friendlies before the season starts.

I think it's good to have so many options in midfield. Danny got found out today but up to then I think (despite looking as if he's put on even more weight which I think needs addressing) he's played well.

You have to sort of read between the lines in friendlies and not get too worried about them because when it all starts in earnest players can suddenly shake themselves into gear.

But I DID really like the look of Howe and if he carries on like that we may not be too bad.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:05 am

mfcbro wrote:Right rant on,how can we release stanners,he has been told he can leave,one of our better players last season,no one in my opinion who we have fetched in is better.Yatesy today played out of position and had a good game,yet he can go as well?New players played 1st half but when we fetched on the trusted from last season no one can deny we played better.Mcann hasnt got a clue at right back.i.m.o.Too many changes at the same time,but then who am i to critise sammy i am only a supporter.Rant over.

I just don't get why he has said yates can leave either for me he would be one of the first names down on the teamsheet.

The problem for me with stanners is he puts a lot of effort in and passes sideways a lot like Fury says but all our midfielders can do that. He needs to have that killer final ball and a few shots on target/goals which would make him stand out more from all the other midfielders we have.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:17 pm

sw1980 wrote: i am not a fan of sammy mcilroy

:o :?
Are you a fan of Morecambe FC?
Bare Ben

Postby Jody » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:46 pm

I think you just answered your own question Ben. Just because he doesn't like Sammy doesn't mean he doesn't support the football club.
In relation to Stanley, I think he needs to be taken off the transfer list and put back into the starting 11 full time. I am not criticising anyone, before anyone starts. I just think out of all the central midfield we have (Fraser,Carr, Hunter) he is the one who stands out as proven in the league - both with his time at Hereford, and with us. Last season he was definitely one of our consistent performers. You know every time he wears a Morecambe shirt he puts in 100%. You can see that every single week. Also, you mention Drummond, I don't think there is much between him and Stanley footballing wise (bar Drummy's experience) but he hasn't got a lot of footballing years left in him compared to Craig. If Craig is happy here, then he could be playing for us for many years to come, and with the same argument Howard vs Adams, I think we need to consolidate in this League, and look at keeping players, and a team structure long term - we don't want to be changing the backbone of the team season after season and need a settling in period at the start of every season.
Plus if Stanley goes, where is he going to end up? At one of our League Two rivals perhaps? Surely that isn't a wise move.
Feel free to shoot me down by the way because I know someone will.
Jody

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:51 pm

shrimper wrote:I've liked the look of Carr. I think he's holding himself back a bit - took a knock early on today - but I think he's shown enough to feature prominently.

Sammy will be having a look at all of them in different combinations then will crystallise his thoughts and pick what he sees as his best side (injuries permitting) for the next couple of friendlies before the season starts.

I think it's good to have so many options in midfield. Danny got found out today but up to then I think (despite looking as if he's put on even more weight which I think needs addressing) he's played well.

You have to sort of read between the lines in friendlies and not get too worried about them because when it all starts in earnest players can suddenly shake themselves into gear.

But I DID really like the look of Howe and if he carries on like that we may not be too bad.

agreed

remember season 2003 2004 we looked world beaters in preseason 6 1 thrashings of wolves
dean howell looked the business and unbeaten i think possibly a tranmere defeat in there
then remember that craney goal for accy in the opener???
ive only missed yesterdays match i think were making progress
having 9 new players will need some bedding in and weve time yet
look forward to seeing howe
Shrimpsscene

Postby parkyboy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:08 pm

I thought CARR had been brought in as a goal scoring midfield but early day's yet .Sammy and Mark will sort it out and the goals will come , but we have to adopt a they shall not pass and score in defence . Come on Shrimps you are better than last year
parkyboy

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Jody wrote:Feel free to shoot me down by the way because I know someone will.

B A N G :lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Mark S » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:28 pm

Thought Craig took the step up to League football well last year. Having never played in the FL before, he looked made for it. My worry with him more and more is his temprament. I am surprised that he hasnt been sent off more and the way he reacts to a physical challenge or to a verbal from the Ref makes me cringe every time.

If he is like that in the dressing room or the training pitch it could cause unrest. Especially if his disrespect of authority on the pitch is the same off the pitch.

If he played against us for another team, I reckon we could have him sent off within 15 minutes.
Mark S

Postby Jody » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Yes, I know where you're coming from Mark. Temperaments can be corrected though. Rooney has done it at United, Smith since his Leeds days (Ok not the best of examples but I know what I mean)
And I for one would rather see someone fired up, and ready to play and give everything for the cause than someone who seems like they are just picking up their wages and going home.
Jody

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Jody wrote:Rooney has done it at United

No he hasn't. Didn't he get subbed in a friendly last week because he had kicked out a player twice!
The Red Knight

Postby Jody » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Alright, 99% of the time, and he's a hell of a lot better than he used to be. You can't expect someone playing in such a high pressure environment to keep their cool all the time.
Jody

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:52 pm

Jody wrote:Alright, 99% of the time, and he's a hell of a lot better than he used to be. You can't expect someone playing in such a high pressure environment to keep their cool all the time.

The vast majority of other players seem to manage it ok.
The Red Knight

Postby Jody » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:26 pm

You can't compare people's temperaments. Everyone is genetically different, just like some people are clever, some people can run faster than others. Just because some people can 'manage' things doesn't mean everybody can.
Jody

Postby parceldave » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:02 pm

morecambe mick wrote:Adams was at fault for the first goal, and was openly blamed by the defenders.

Yates, despite being on the left, played really well, over lapping and not shirking his defensive duties.

Personally I would like to have seen more of Mr Twiss. I eagerly await a chance to see Twissy and Howe starting a game together, you just know that with Twissy's vision and passing with Howe's running and powerful shooting ability that they would tear any defence apart.

Wayne was looking lean and hungrier than ever.

Midfield was sturdier in the second half, Stanners did well. About time he was taken off the transfer list and given some stability. In my opinion.

Only Howe of the new guys showed anything that was outstanding, to my untrained eye.

Good save by Roche in the second half, but was disappointed with the lack of marking and closing down for their goals. They also missed an absolute sitter in the first half as they dominated almost the entire half.

I have only seen Tranmere and before that Preston games, so my opinions can only be based the two games that we've lost. Maybe I should stay away more :lol:

I understand that they are only friendly games and that it doesn't count until the first game of the season and that they were against teams from a higher division. Am still hopeful of a half decent season though.

I have to agree with your comments about the players especially the Twiss n Howe combination , i think there could be a song in there too. The chips wern't bad either and i think you could do with some fake tan on those milk bottles :lol: :lol: :lol:
parceldave

Next

Return to General Discussion