new signings (summary)

new signings (summary)

Postby mazatec » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Roche seems to be a decent keeper who controls his area a plus to the side

Mcann, Oh my goodness, where did he come from clueless a big negative to the side

Parrish Not much better gets caught out of position negative

Carr I cannot make my mind up,will be on bench jury out

Wainwright seem a decent player not as good as tommo a plus

O carrol I like the look and will get better a big plus

Howe Now your talking very very good a major plus

Yates If he goes the manager will be next ,as both new full back cannot hold a candle to this lad
mazatec

Re: new signings (summary)

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Parrish did look very good on Tuesday, and players do have bad games. Give the lad a chance ;) - I agree that Yates is the best of them though, we do need someone who can overlap and whip crosses into the box, sort of like Garry Neville did for Man Utd, Yatesy brings that.

Roche is top class, he commands his area terrifically and let's the defenders know about it if he's slightly pee'd off.

Again, Rene Howe looks like a real gem, a big threat that defenders will hate playing against, i can see him scoring ALOT of goals at this level for us :D
Crooky MFC

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:39 am

mazatec wrote:Roche seems to be a decent keeper who controls his area a plus to the side

Mcann, Oh my goodness, where did he come from clueless a big negative to the side

Parrish Not much better gets caught out of position negative

Carr I cannot make my mind up,will be on bench jury out

Wainwright seem a decent player not as good as tommo a plus

O carrol I like the look and will get better a big plus

Howe Now your talking very very good a major plus

Yates If he goes the manager will be next ,as both new full back cannot hold a candle to this lad

I can't agree with you about Parrish. He is only just 20 and looks as though he can play anywhere in the defense so very useful.
Very happy with Roche who looks like a really good signing.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:04 am

People seem to be forgetting that so far you are judging the players performances against two Championship sides and a top League One side.

Whilst some players may look poor in these games let's not forget that they aren't going to be up against players of this standard when the real stuff starts in a few weeks.

The likes of Carr, McCann, Parrish who have been picked out for criticism in this thread may turn out to be perfectly capable League Two players.
The Red Knight

Postby scalehallshrimp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 am

i have seen all the friendlies and can say that of Carr, McCann, Parrish carr and parrish will be ok in a morecambe shirt ,i am unsure about McCann but he will not be 1st choice anyway.
i am sure all will be ok once the season starts,friendlies are a notoriously fickle barometer of a a teams prospects over a full season
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Postby Phoenix » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:27 am

I thought yesterday we saw 2 different sides. In the 1st half we had the new recruits, safe with the knowledge they'll get paid for another year at least so taking it easy, not going in hard, etc. In the 2nd half we had the old faces, not entirely sure about their future with the new boys on board wondering why they've brought someone else in in their position. So they went all out to prove themselves, and they did. Just about every place has 2 fighting for it, competition's good for the soul.
Phoenix

Postby admiral47 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:32 am

I agree I think Roach looks confident and don't think can be blamed for any of the goals against Preston and Tranmere. Not sure about Parish looked better on Tuesday but does not appear to have the skill of Yates to play is way out of defence. Wainright looks OK , but looks better on the right side, obviously lacks Tommo’s pace but prepared to take people on-final ball a little disappointing-and that has been the feedback from Darlington. Carr looks OK although not any better than Stanley-another player I think we need to keep. I agree with McCann has not looked the part, and would not be in my starting line up. Howe looks the real deal as does O’Carroll. I still don't think we have replaced what Tommo and Baker offered-pace and attacking play. Wiles- no 7 yesterday did not impress me. I would be very concerned if we let Yates go and can not get my head round why Sammy would be contemplating this-he is a good footballer, hard grafter and gets forward. Danny Adams although a good footballer needs to loose a lot of weight- he really does look like a pub player.
Having now seen the squad my concerns are:

Defensively we lack pace and without Yates few options to play out of trouble
o Midfield-no attacking options- with likelihood of few goals

On the plus side:
o A decent Goalie
o Two strikers who I think should be our first choice.
admiral47

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:03 am

out of the players we have signed so far I think BR and RH are the best
heysham_mfc

Postby admiral47 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:17 am

Heysham MFC - yes I think you are right - both look very confident
admiral47

Postby steve mfc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:48 am

I don't think we should be too quick to make judgements about the new players, how many times have we seen a player arrive and look really good in their first few games only to fade away, likewise some players take a while to settle and gradually get better. Stanley would be a good case for me. I must admit i wasn't impressed at first but now i would have him in the starting line up every time.

Just think how difficult it is for a new player trying to impress, new surroundings a group of players you haven't played with before it cant be easy so lets not me to judgemental.
steve mfc

Postby parkyboy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Crunch match against Carlisle , Sammy and Mark will know there best team by then , probably do now . They know what they want from the players and what we the supporters are looking forward too . Dont lose at Wycombe , a decent performance at Forest and a 3 goal home win against Rotherham , fingers xd
parkyboy

Postby james456 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:59 pm

IMO...

Mccann: Need to see more of him but he hasnt impressed me so far.

Parrish: Looks good so far. Fairly tidy in defence and fast. Bit lightweight, so personally I wouldnt play him in the centre. Very young so he can only get better.

Carr: Again, need to see more of him but he looks pretty good. Looks like one who could give a fairly good goal return.

Wainwright: Great investment. Not as fast as Thommo but he can beat a man and supply some good crosses too. Useful on both wings. I think that with him in our team, we wont feel the absence of Thommo that much.

O'Carroll: Good first touch and can finish. Only 21 and I feel could become a great asset to the team.

Howe: Only seen 60 minutes of him but looks very good indeed. An all rounder; good first touch, good header of the ball, fairly strong, hard worker and isnt afraid to take a shot.
james456

Postby Why no t » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:26 pm

For christ's sake give 'em a chance. They've only been here five keithing minutes. Stop pulling them to bits.

:x

IT'S ONLY PRE-SEASON

Are you lot going to slag them off all season as well?
Life without football is.......
Why no t

Postby james456 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Why no t wrote:For christ's sake give 'em a chance. They've only been here five keithing minutes. Stop pulling them to bits.

:x

IT'S ONLY PRE-SEASON

Are you lot going to slag them off all season as well?

Yes. We are going to bitch and moan every step of the way.

:)
james456

Postby Jolly rog branch » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:40 pm

James 456. if you think Parrish sholud be given a chance at centre back then who do you leave out Jimbo, Artell or Mc Stay. This could be intersting our captain or a TWO men who are VERY comfortable in that position
Jolly rog branch

Postby The Marksman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm sure he said he wouldn't play Parrish at centre back...?
The Marksman

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Jolly rog branch wrote:James 456. if you think Parrish sholud be given a chance at centre back then who do you leave out Jimbo, Artell or Mc Stay. This could be intersting our captain or a TWO men who are VERY comfortable in that position

Have to question the bit about 'comfortable'.

The pre-season games v PNE and Tranmere highlighted the defensive problems associated with last season. An inability to stay tight on the opposition strikers. I'm not sure which is the best defensive partnership but there can be nothing lost in trying other combinations OR may i suggest bringing somebody with experience into the equation.

I posted elsewhere that one of Sammy's stated priorities was cental defence and strikers.

The strikers issue may have been addressed with the signings of Howe and O'Carrol but the defensive area for me has not......yet!

It would be interesting to find out if any of the targets that Sammy had highlighted early close season have signed for the club or as I'm beginning to wonder, if location has been a stumbling block for some. The Board have backed Sammy with the funds that the club can afford (eg Howe) so it must be location and other factors.

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion