Morecambe 0 Newport 1 LIVE thread

Re: Morecambe 0 Newport 1 LIVE thread

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:46 pm

Where has our luck gone (other than the bad luck!!!) Stott very narrowly over!!!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:51 pm

Edwards MotM. Can't argue with that. Lots of good play, just that one mistake. :cry:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:52 pm

Now we hit the crossbar!!!

Songo'o>White

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:57 pm

Forget stats , xg and the rest of the bollox

If we don't start scoring we will be in big trouble

Better performance today but still nothing to show for it

VERY VERY WORRYING
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:13 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:VERY VERY WORRYING

I disagree. We've played four of the top five in League Two, losing 1-0 in each. This is yet another thrown-together squad. We should have picked up something from today. A Newport fan wrote on their forum, that their keeper's save was "the best save I've ever seen". Newport will know they were very fortunate.

No need to panic, keep it going as we are, but with Moore stop giving goals away. He proved last season, that he's a top quality keeper.

Next Saturday we play Crewe, who've only played one side from the top half of the table so far, but only on four points. Lose then and we may start to worry.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:20 pm

Crewe are getting there best players back from injury ..some played today
Redalert1970

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:31 pm

It's ok saying we've lost to the top sides, but we've helped them all on the way up there
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:40 pm

It was a silly mistake and i'm sure Moore will hold his hand up. I reckon he will save us more times than he costs us over the season.

We are pretty solid and typically hard to play against. The work rate and organisation is really impressive up to the 18 yard box. I don't think that Derek will be able to get much from Hope so Angol or Deckers need to be given a run. McAdam frustrates the life out of me. There is a proper player there but he needs to step up tge effort.

White looked to suffer a bad injury on the final whistle. Ref and liners were shocking.
BerlinWaller

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:17 pm

shrimp in cyprus wrote:Attendance 2,724. Must be one of the lowest since we got into the EFL.

We used to regularly get half this under jimbo
Wild Bill

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:07 pm

Really poor officials today but we can't use this as an excuse for a performance lacking quality. Defensively we are okay apart from Moore's dodgy kicking but in midfield and up front we look a poor team with the exception of the tricky Edwards. Embarrassing that we are the only EFL team not to score a goal this season!
fulwoodshrimp

Postby redrobo » Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:57 pm

Simply did not deserve that loss just as they didn't deserve the win. The goals will comeback we all must keep the faith and not throw the baby out of the pram and refuse to attend home games due to Whittingham.

Typical Wildig poachers goal but Stewart gifted them the goal. After that he had nothing g to do. For a ream with an impressive goals for record to date Newport looked distinctly average and xantrecalk the number of times their goalkeeper saved them .

e
Last edited by redrobo on Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo

Postby John L » Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:10 pm

marky No.1 wrote:It's ok saying we've lost to the top sides, but we've helped them all on the way up there

Yep, and that's the worrying thing!

We should be ok, but we need to be starting games better, not making needless and costly mistakes, and giving the fans something to cheer about early on instead of a frenzied last few minutes that comes to nothing. Oh, and most importantly, we need to be scoring goals!
John L

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:48 pm

John L wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:It's ok saying we've lost to the top sides, but we've helped them all on the way up there

Yep, and that's the worrying thing!

We should be ok, but we need to be starting games better, not making needless and costly mistakes, and giving the fans something to cheer about early on instead of a frenzied last few minutes that comes to nothing. Oh, and most importantly, we need to be scoring goals!

Jim Bentley did that for years
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:32 pm

Our new strike was sat in the Director box towering above them all at 6'7" when he stood up.
redrobo

Postby BHmfc » Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:53 pm

Deserved at least a point today and to be fair to the squad of players who have cost next to nothing to assemble, everyone gave 100%. We are improving as the players get to know each other more and I believe our first win will come sooner rather than later. See you at Crewe !!!!!
BHmfc

Postby mfcbro » Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:16 am

I think Jim Bentley left a few years ago Berlinwaller after keeping us in the football league with far less resources than Derek Adams,and a much less budget possibly half.Your constant slagging him off is getting rather boring.
mfcbro

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:34 am

Hopefully we get a full season out of Derek to judge him by. Last time thus happened we did rather well.
Wild Bill

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:50 am

mfcbro wrote:I think Jim Bentley left a few years ago Berlinwaller after keeping us in the football league with far less resources than Derek Adams,and a much less budget possibly half.Your constant slagging him off is getting rather boring.

I'd love to see what Derek could do with a budget like Jim had. Being able to sign players like Mark Hughes, Barky, Miller, Devitt, Kev, Gary McDonald, wilson,.Fenton, Wildig rather than pulling players out of Non League like we have to nowadays.
BerlinWaller

Postby mfcbro » Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:13 am

Berlinwaller wrote "I'd love to see what Derek could do with a budget like Jim had. Being able to sign players like Mark Hughes, Barky, Miller, Devitt, Kev, Gary McDonald, wilson,.Fenton, Wildig rather than pulling players out of Non League like we have to nowadays." All of those cost nothing as did Mendes Gomes,Cole Stockton and Sam Lavelle,who went on to make us a few quid.
mfcbro

Postby redrobo » Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:34 am

Some would say that Cole cost us more than what we got due to his no-show in out last season in EFL1. I'm not one of those as I still feel that it was the team that cost us...
redrobo

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:01 am

I didn’t want to join the debate on budgets from one era to another, what players cost back then has no relevance to today’s budgets and what they can command on a wage. If the current budget does not grow alongside the demand of wages and all the running costs of a football club, the budget in terms of the relevance means nothing.

I would rather have a debate about what the coach can do in signing the right player, having the right tactics and how they handle players to get the best out of them.

Who is best between say this spat on Jim Bentley and Derek Adams I cannot possibly comment past that I was only an occasional fan in Jim Bentleys time, against watching near on all home games under Derek Adam’s and the occasional away game.

Both for me fall into the category of a manager shackled by what they have at their disposal. By that I mean, the fact that the gems were few and far between and neither really got the best out of the others on a consistent basis.
Billy bodger

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:08 am

mfcbro wrote:Berlinwaller wrote "I'd love to see what Derek could do with a budget like Jim had. Being able to sign players like Mark Hughes, Barky, Miller, Devitt, Kev, Gary McDonald, wilson,.Fenton, Wildig rather than pulling players out of Non League like we have to nowadays." All of those cost nothing as did Mendes Gomes,Cole Stockton and Sam Lavelle,who went on to make us a few quid.

The majority coming from clubs in L2 and L1 so their wages won't have been cheap and I was on about wage budget rather than a transfer budget. McDonald was pulled out of the SPL, Reid turned down a deal from Macc to sign for us, Podge won't have been cheap and Brodie was a very big name at the level. Just some examples of other players that Jim was able to bring in. It is a myth that Jim had poor budgets throughout his tenure, he was heavily backed by PMG. Once the money dried up, Jim did an unreal job in keeping us going and keeping us up.

Carlos was on the verge of leaving and had trials at other clubs under Jim. Derek made him the player that was sold for big money. Sam was similar, he looked shakey playing alongside Old but thrived under Derek as did Wildig and Sully. Cole started to show signs under Derek but really kicked on under Robinson. He was pretty average under Jim.
BerlinWaller

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:18 am

Billy bodger wrote:I didn’t want to join the debate on budgets from one era to another, what players cost back then has no relevance to today’s budgets and what they can command on a wage. If the current budget does not grow alongside the demand of wages and all the running costs of a football club, the budget in terms of the relevance means nothing.

I would rather have a debate about what the coach can do in signing the right player, having the right tactics and how they handle players to get the best out of them.

Who is best between say this spat on Jim Bentley and Derek Adams I cannot possibly comment past that I was only an occasional fan in Jim Bentleys time, against watching near on all home games under Derek Adam’s and the occasional away game.

Both for me fall into the category of a manager shackled by what they have at their disposal. By that I mean, the fact that the gems were few and far between and neither really got the best out of the others on a consistent basis.

The figures might change but where you are getting the players from doesn't. Jim was able to bring in established League footballers and highly rated non league players throughout the majority of his time as manager. He was able to keep players like Baz and Kev at the club despite other clubs being interested in them. The likes of Miller, Devitt, Barky, Murphy, Molyneux, Tutte, Wildig, Hughes, Wilson, Podge, Brodie, Fenton, Beeley, McDonald were established footballer league players. Redshaw was a highly rated non league player and we were able to bring him in despite others being interested. Like i say, Jim worked wonders in the season of Lemos but it is a myth that he had poor budgets every season.
BerlinWaller

Postby KenH » Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:20 am

Jim oversaw the virtual collapse of our fan base. I still think it's amazing to see how many fans we have on matchdays these days and how many regularly go to away matches. Under Jim, there were sometimes just a couple of dozen at away matches and lots of empty rows of seats in blocks C, D and E.
KenH

Postby redrobo » Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:57 am

It hopefully never comes to this but I wonder what our average gate would be if we had to return to non league.

A lot of our younger fans will never have witnessed non league so for them it would be a new experience.

I would have thought an average of 2000 would seem logical BUT yesterday's gate of 2700 was worrying although for me there seemed quite a few more than that but it could be a sign of things to come....unfortunately.

:( :( :(
redrobo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion