What a failure!

What a failure!

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:08 am

When you look at Jason Whittingham's record as an owner of a sporting club you have to say what an abysmal failure he has been. He destroyed Worcester Warriors as a rugby club and he is in the process of destroying our beloved shrimps. His business acumen is hopeless. A little more investment when we were in League 1 and he would have been able to sell our club as a thriving going concern. A little investment this season and he would be selling an EFL club. At the present rate he is going to be left with a non-league asset worth very little. It seems his valuation of our club is hopelessly inaccurate and only attracting questionable businessmen who don't seem to be acceptable to the EFL. He needs to get real quickly and sell for a realistic price before he has destroyed a fine football club just like he destroyed a fine rugby club. Jason Whittingham must go and go quickly.
fulwoodshrimp

Re: What a failure!

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:35 am

I'm not defending Jason far from it and I'm also not having a go at you FulwoodShrimp

But could we please just have 1 topic regarding Jason instead of loads

Some even start off talking about something else and end up talking about Jason
Redalert1970

Postby vvm » Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:38 am

Redalert1970 wrote:I'm not defending Jason far from it and I'm also not having a go at you FulwoodShrimp

He's such a dickhead though isn't he
vvm

Postby Billy bodger » Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:16 am

Redalert1970 wrote:I'm not defending Jason far from it and I'm also not having a go at you FulwoodShrimp

Every topic we discuss on here is affected by JW, that’s why he always gets mentioned and that is quite reasonable to discuss how Jason affects a certain topic, which ever one it may be.

If however we could agree on having a topic that is only about JW and nothing else that’s fine. Anyone any ideas what it should be called?
Billy bodger

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:24 am

I think some of the abusive name calling he attracts on here and social media is wide of the mark. Call him what you want but I think at the end of the day his acquisition of WW and us was definitely with a view to his own financial benefit and not for the advancement of the said sporting organisations. Of course we all realise this now!

I would describe him more as hard faced, cold and calculating. I don't think any of us know how much he paid to acquire ownership but it would appear in doing so he has made an almighty Horlicks of an error. Whatever his original intentions were we can only speculate. However I think he realised at some point that plan A was a non starter and he is now onto plan god knows what, but he is very possibly now scrambling to keep his head above water.

I still scratch my head as to just how we achieved promotion to EFL 1 under his tenure and survived a season mixing it with several massive clubs for the level. Throw in games at Chelsea and Spurs and you have to say it was the most successful period on the pitch in the clubs history. An element of fluke, covid lockdown and astute management definitely contributed to it.

Since 2017 we've had some real chancers as owners. We've been passed from pillar to post and it's anyone's guess how this is going to end. Drastic as administration is I am beginning to think that may be the most likely outcome and possibly the best. That's IF we can then be owned by people who actually care about the club! I hope the majority of fans stick with the club even if we become the latest phoenix club and have to start again at goodness knows what level. Look at AFC Wimbledon. A perfect example of what can be achieved.

The late great Clarrie Hollings once said to me at Christie Park that fans just want to watch the team winning football matches. That's more important than the level you're playing at. He probably had a valid point.

COYFS!
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:26 am

Billy bodger wrote:

Every topic we discuss on here is affected by JW, that’s why he always gets mentioned and that is quite reasonable to discuss how Jason affects a certain topic, which ever one it may be.

If however we could agree on having a topic that is only about JW and nothing else that’s fine. Anyone any ideas what it should be called?

How do we get out of the latest shit we're in? Excuse the French but that sums it up for me.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby RedRedWine » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:30 pm

Whilst I do think Whittingham is a Turkey Teeth mofo who is clearly not a fit and proper person to have ownership of a community asset / sports organisation (obviously he has been banned from being a company director during his tenure) - his period at the club has coincided with the most successful period in the clubs history; albeit largely thanks to Derek Adams IMO who progressed us significantly on the pitch with a limited playing budget.... that then lead to life in League One, an influx of new support thanks to the introduction of an affordable season ticket package spearheaded by #GLOM (presumably devised by the board, and backed by the ownership). It is amazing how quickly your fortunes can turn in football.

Whilst things do look bleak at the moment, we are surely in a much better position than we were at the end of PMG reign with the complete instability that followed; season ticket numbers of around 650 and the attendance of home supporters (net of away fans) regularly struggling to reach 1,200 - it is important to have perspective that we are a million miles from that... and should we lose our place in the football league, there is a genuine support base that has been developed in recent seasons that has more longevity than people wish to acknowledge; it has surprised me how many season tickets we shifted this year (I am not one of them by the way - I doubt I will attend a home game whilst Whittingham retains control).

I do suspect he acquired the club by way of settling a debt owed to his financing company, rather than paying much or anything for it. Since that the investment companies that he is linked to have met the clubs operating losses (which are not excessive in comparison to other clubs at this level), and now he is looking to recoup these and perhaps maximise his ownership. I don't really blame him for this - its just the length of time it has taken has created a period of stagnation and uncertainty... and there is obviously huge question marks over the suitability of the owners preferred bidder.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby redrobo » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:45 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Whilst I do think Whittingham is a Turkey Teeth mofo who is clearly not a fit and proper person to have ownership of a community asset / sports organisation (obviously he has been banned from being a company director during his tenure) - his period at the club has coincided with the most successful period in the clubs history; albeit largely thanks to Derek Adams IMO who progressed us significantly on the pitch with a limited playing budget.... that then lead to life in League One, an influx of new support thanks to the introduction of an affordable season ticket package spearheaded by #GLOM (presumably devised by the board, and backed by the ownership). It is amazing how quickly your fortunes can turn in football.

Whilst things do look bleak at the moment, we are surely in a much better position than we were at the end of PMG reign with the complete instability that followed; season ticket numbers of around 650 and the attendance of home supporters (net of away fans) regularly struggling to reach 1,200 - it is important to have perspective that we are a million miles from that... and should we lose our place in the football league, there is a genuine support base that has been developed in recent seasons that has more longevity than people wish to acknowledge; it has surprised me how many season tickets we shifted this year (I am not one of them by the way - I doubt I will attend a home game whilst Whittingham retains control).

I do suspect he acquired the club by way of settling a debt owed to his financing company, rather than paying much or anything for it. Since that the investment companies that he is linked to have met the clubs operating losses (which are not excessive in comparison to other clubs at this level), and now he is looking to recoup these and perhaps maximise his ownership. I don't really blame him for this - its just the length of time it has taken has created a period of stagnation and uncertainty... and there is obviously huge question marks over the suitability of the owners preferred bidder.

And precisely what will that achieve.....it certainly will have no sway with Whittingham that's for sure... :?: :?: :?:

The only people it will hurt will be our excellent BoDs who without their loyalty ( suggest you take a look at a Dictionary for its meaning :roll: ) OUR club would have gone under a few seasons ago.

I just hope that there are not others with the same attitude as yours regarding attending games.

No doubt when the good times come around again as they surely will you'll be at the head of a que for a season ticket claiming to have been a loyal fan throughout the bad times.

Sad...very sad.... :( :( :(
redrobo

Postby RedRedWine » Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:24 pm

It’s a personal choice that I came to terms with a while ago - I just feel that I can no longer continue to support the club financially whilst Mr Whittingham retains ownership and was very open about this last season… I will still support the club in person on the road when I can and have done so already this season. People might disagree with this stance, which is their prerogative - but those that know me will understand that this is not a decision which I have taken lightly; and they certainly wouldn’t question my loyalty to the club in predictably infantile fashion. I don’t really care if my individual stance does not make a difference to Mr Whittingham; I’m guided by my own principles which is good enough for me and certainly does not need approval by people like yourself.
RedRedWine

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:30 pm

Alarming drop in attendances for the first two home fixtures - albeit still miles better than we used to get pre-Covid/promotion:

Gillingham = 3,611 (404 away) = 3,207 home supporters
Newport County = 2,724 (188 away) = 2,536 home supporters

= A decrease of 671 (20.9%)

Perhaps a slight dip is to be expected because we'd lost three straight league games (now four) and admittedly there was a lot going on locally with the Vintage Festival taking place on the prom - but even so it is concerning. Sell the club (to a credible buyer) Jason FFS!
RedRedWine

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:39 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Alarming drop in attendances for the first two home fixtures - albeit still miles better than we used to get pre-Covid/promotion:

Perhaps a slight dip is to be expected because we'd lost three straight league games (now four) and admittedly there was a lot going on locally with the Vintage Festival taking place on the prom - but even so it is concerning. Sell the club (to a credible buyer) Jason FFS!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the attendances in those first couple of games. Generally, it is the second season after a relegation, that attendances drop off. Add in, the uncertainty around the club, due Whittingham, and, last weekend of school holidays, so lots of families still away/doing other stuff, and it isn't too shabby.

Now we just need to get winning games!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby KenH » Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:40 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Alarming drop in attendances for the first two home fixtures - albeit still miles better than we used to get pre-Covid/promotion:

Surely the drop is because it was community day in the Away standing area at the Gillingham match?

I didn't really think the attendance in the home end was any lower for Newport than it was for Gillingham - looked about the same from the D block!
KenH

Return to General Discussion